Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time spraybasting a quilt >

first time spraybasting a quilt

first time spraybasting a quilt

Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 AM

Smile first time spraybasting a quilt

Let me know if this will work please. The pattern is a quilt as you go, so I only need the backing and batting to be spray basted.

I purchased the clear plastic sheets that painters use to protect the floors. I will lay the plastic down on a smooth surface outside. Next I will lay the backing on top of the plastic with the wrong side facing up. I will tape the 4 corners of the backing to the plastic, to keep the backing smooth. I will spray the backing material with the spray baste.

What is the best way to spread the batting over the sprayed area? I thought about rolling the batting at each end and placing it in the center of the backing and unroll each end of the batting.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

generally with spray basting you lay your batting out- smooth it- spray it, then smooth the fabric over it- when it is all adhered & dry you flip it over & spray/smooth the other side. I don't understand why you are spray basting the batting/backing for a quilt as you go- the whole thing about qayg is so you don't have to do that- since you put together your *sandwiches* as each block, quilt it- then join them when they are all quilted???just wondering what you are (quilting as you go?)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:22 AM

I understand what you are saying & the method you're using I know as a "flip & sew" QAYG method. I agree with ckcowl about laying the batting down 1st then smoothing the backing fabric over it.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:40 AM

I always spray baste my QAYG because you can still get wrinkles or puckers in the blocks. Mine are usually large 15 inches or more. I just lay it out on my cutting table with an old sheet underneath the blocks and spray a little, smooth and then the other end. No overspray that I can detect. You don't want to use large amounts of spray or from a great distance so you should have big problems doing it in your sewing room. I also spray all the layers. Makes a nicer surface to quilt on.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

With spray basting, it really helps to position your two layers first. E.g., batting first, then backing on top. When you are satisfied with the positioning, peel back half of the fabric, spray, then smooth the fabric back onto the batting. Peel back the other half of the fabric and do the same.

You do *not* want to spray the first layer and then try to apply the second layer on top. This might work okay for a block, but it would be a disaster with a large quilt. (It's a fixable disaster. Having done it that way once, I learned my lesson! It was a lot of hassle getting everything centered properly.) By positioning the two layers first, then spray basting half at a time, you avoid a lot of errors.

Edit: I would also simply use a flat sheet rather than plastic. When the sheet gets too sticky to use, just toss it in the laundry (or launder after every use). There is no need for plastic.

Also wanted to mention that I definitely prefer 505 over other brands of basting spray. With any brand, it's important not to spray too much on; it's best to use a light hand.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-05-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
generally with spray basting you lay your batting out- smooth it- spray it, then smooth the fabric over it- when it is all adhered & dry you flip it over & spray/smooth the other side. I don't understand why you are spray basting the batting/backing for a quilt as you go- the whole thing about qayg is so you don't have to do that- since you put together your *sandwiches* as each block, quilt it- then join them when they are all quilted???just wondering what you are (quilting as you go?)
I ordered my pattern from Connecting Threads. It is called Sharing My Joy #199 by Suzn Quilts...(Susan Martin)

It is a Christmas Lap Quilt. Once the backing and batting are basted together, strips are sewn one by one end to end. This makes sense if you are able to see the photo of the quilt.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
With spray basting, it really helps to position your two layers first. E.g., batting first, then backing on top. When you are satisfied with the positioning, peel back half of the fabric, spray, then smooth the fabric back onto the batting. Peel back the other half of the fabric and do the same.

You do *not* want to spray the first layer and then try to apply the second layer on top. This might work okay for a block, but it would be a disaster with a large quilt. (It's a fixable disaster. Having done it that way once, I learned my lesson! It was a lot of hassle getting everything centered properly.) By positioning the two layers first, then spray basting half at a time, you avoid a lot of errors.

Edit: I would also simply use a flat sheet rather than plastic. When the sheet gets too sticky to use, just toss it in the laundry (or launder after every use). There is no need for plastic.

Also wanted to mention that I definitely prefer 505 over other brands of basting spray. With any brand, it's important not to spray too much on; it's best to use a light hand.
Wonderful tips! Thank you for your advice. I would never have thought to position the 2 layers first to center them and then spray baste by lifting up the fabric. I think you saved me from a disaster.

My can of spray says:
Sullivans Machine Embroidery adhesive spray.(acid free perfect for quilt basting,too) I just got a embroidery machine so I was hoping to use this adhesive spray for quilt basting also.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I love making QAYG big blocks. I quit spray basting the blocks. Spraying is faster but the clean up is time consuming and the fumes were nasty. I had over spray even when I barely sprayed the block in one tiny section. I use Elmer's school glue and it works great. A quick press with the iron and the fabric and batting are as one. I dilute the glue just a little to get very thin lines or tiny drops.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love making QAYG big blocks. I quit spray basting the blocks. Spraying is faster but the clean up is time consuming and the fumes were nasty. I had over spray even when I barely sprayed the block in one tiny section. I use Elmer's school glue and it works great. A quick press with the iron and the fabric and batting are as one. I dilute the glue just a little to get very thin lines or tiny drops.
I will experiment with the glue. I wondered if the glue caused puckers in the spots where the glue was not covering. I know the glue can't cover every spot as I would think the spray basting would. I know the glue basting is used by many quilters so I will give it a try. Thank you for your help
Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM

I tried the plastic once and it slid all over the place. A sheet works better.