Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To fix or not to fix--that is the question >

To fix or not to fix--that is the question

To fix or not to fix--that is the question

Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM

So glad it seems like you've come to some sort of agreement with your son.
The scant 1/8" seams probably do need to be re-worked, but the other ones seem fine to me. Gives it a bit of a modern touch. If any of the blocks are too out of square, you could always slice on an angle & add extra wonky pieces to square it up. I'm sure it will be beautiful, so as long as your son's happy, all is well... And that grandbaby of yours is adorable!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Top is finished

Okay, so in the end I decided to stick with my son's original pattern and fix the seams...wherever possible, I kept his sewing...I believe that it is a quilt that most anyone would be proud to claim as his or hers. I'm so amazed at the look of the finished quilt...the fabric choices and patterns are still all his. I added borders but he approved the fabric choices. It reminds of sand and sea and we discussed adding some embroidery in the borders but when he saw the finished top, my son said he likes it just the way it is. I will piece the back including some of the remaining pieces and original fabrics (there's not much left) along with the border fabrics. I plan to call the quilt "Together"...because it's finally together (after 13 years) and my son and I did it together. I'm playing with the idea of embroidering a couple sea horses facing each other and forming a heart as part the label...playing on the sea theme, togetherness and love. The front is the quilt that my young son envisioned but the back is where I will add some of my own ideas. I'm also thinking of making a little pillow that coordinates with the quilt and includes a pocket for a small scrapbook that journals the making of the quilt and some stories about my son for his daughter.
Attached Thumbnails zachs-quilt-2001-2015.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

I just read your entire post. It looks wonderful. I think you made the right choice to finish it the way you did.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 AM

So glad your son's quilt is completed and satisfies both of you. It is beautiful!
And yes, I do think he needs one to fit him now made by mom.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM

It looks great! his kids are going to think its a hoot to have quilt that dad started.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Anyone who doesn't think this is a wise compromise that resulted in a great quilt, with an even greater history behind its creation ...needs to be on some form of medication!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

You did a great job. It was DEFINITELY worth the effort.