Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel backing and FMQ- not sure >

Flannel backing and FMQ- not sure

Flannel backing and FMQ- not sure

Old 10-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Default Flannel backing and FMQ- not sure

Hi everyone,

I'm making my cousin a quilt and was thinking of using flannel for a backing as she lives in upstate NY where winters are quite cold.
Being newer to FMQ and not terrific at it I was wondering if it's harder to quilt using flannel for a backing? I will also be using a batting.
TIA

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-21-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:58 PM

I've used flannel as a backing. I found it to be a bit heavier than cotton, and with more "drag" to it. That being said, my machine is flush with my table, and I make sure that machine and table are clean, and will sometimes use silicone spray on a clean cloth to wipe all surfaces before I start. Also it's always important to make sure that your quilt is well supported. I'd definitely give it a try, Susie. Keep us posted.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I found it a little more difficult then quilting cotton. I recommend starch as the flannel tends to wrinkle more. A busy pattern helps also, I had 1 pleat but I just used an invisible ladder stitch to stitch it down and I couldn’t even find it later.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:36 PM

I almost always use flannel on the back of my quilts. Just seems to give them extra warmth.

As Patricia and Tartan said it is heavier to work with and i do use Magic Sizing (starch alternative) and use the silicon spray to make things move easier. I usually use Hobbs Fusible batting and it adheres really well to the flannel in particular , although i dont have any trouble getting it to stick to a regular cotton quilt top either.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:12 AM

I use flannel a lot on the back of my quilts. I find that if I have basted it well, using any method, it works out with no problem. Starching does help as flannel seems to stretch more.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Flannel makes wonderful quilt backs and quilts beautifully. Flannel has a bit looser weave than regular cottons and is easier to needle. Prewash the flannel because it does shrink more than regular cottons- due to the looser weave.
I pretty much use flannel most of the time unless I’m using Minky. Very seldom use regular cottons for backing
Old 10-22-2019, 05:59 AM

I'm not a fan of working with flannel, for me it's the pet hair factor. I recently did a crib/lap sized donation quilt with pretty sophisticated quilting design and a flannel back. It wasn't bad... but I'm still not a fan.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 AM

I’ve used flannel on the back. It really wasn’t much different quilting it. I did use more pins though to keep the flannel smooth. And be sure to keep cleaning out the lint because there’s more lint. Quilts with flannel on the back are so comfy.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:49 AM

Thank you for posting this ?. I am also trying flannel for the first time as a backing on a baby quilt.

One tip I found in a quilt mag. was that a poly or poly-blend batting gripped the flannel better than all cotton batt.
Use a needle size suited for flannel as the weave is more open than cotton.

I wish you luck.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Thank you all for your tips. I can't wait to get it made for my sweet cousin.