Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Florence La Ganke AKA Nancy Page >

Florence La Ganke AKA Nancy Page

Florence La Ganke AKA Nancy Page

Old 09-02-2011, 05:39 AM

I’ve been trying to get Find A Grave to mark Florence La Ganke Harris AKA Nancy Page as a famous person.
Thus far they keep telling me that she is not famous outside of Local area. I keep rewriting her bio in hopes that it will be accepted and she’ll get marked famous. They say that for a person to be consistered famous, they must be known outside their area. Well, we all know that she is known for her Tuesday Quilt series that were printed in the papers under Nancy Page.

IF you would like to leave a virtual flower, here is her Find A Grave memorial

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=75529935

Want to help me protest, here is a thread where I’m trying to show she is known outside of the Cleveland area. Simply post what state you are from and anything else you might like to say (be nice)

http://www.findagraveforums.com/ubbt...1&#Post1967941

Please share with as many as you can.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

Sorry - but I never heard of her & my maiden name is Page :?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Never heard of her
Old 09-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
Sorry - but I never heard of her & my maiden name is Page :?
Page was the name of her paper column.

Here's a page from a website with some information about her.

http://quilthistorytidbits--oldnewly...nancy-page.php

I researched her in the newspapers and found a lot of information about her which is posted on Find A Grave.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 AM

Wow for all the times I've seen her mentioned in books of quilt blocks I never realized she was from Ohio!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Wow for all the times I've seen her mentioned in books of quilt blocks I never realized she was from Ohio!
Me either until I was looking up her patterns on a newpaper place and started to research her some more. I've heard her name many times and have even thought about buying the Quilt in a Day book on one of her quilt series.

She lead an amazing life.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Good luck with your quest. From the information you provided, she was writing mostly during the depression era, the 1930's. I doubt that we have members who would have been reading newspapers for quilting articles back then - but you never know. I doubt that you could build a case that she is "famous" now, but possibly that she was famous then. I think it would depend on how widely her articles were distributed. It's too bad she didn't live to see the rebirth of quilting in the mid-70's.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 AM

I first discovered her when I was researching the Dewey blocks when my mom starting quilting about 15 years ago. I have a book out from the library, "The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns" by Jinny Beyer and she is credited in the back with over 550 published blocks from a half dozen different newspapers and magazines (not including the Plain Dealer).
Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
I first discovered her when I was researching the Dewey blocks when my mom starting quilting about 15 years ago. I have a book out from the library, "The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns" by Jinny Beyer and she is credited in the back with over 550 published blocks from a half dozen different newspapers and magazines (not including the Plain Dealer).
I've never seen any of her quilt patterns printed in the Plain Dealer either. I've looked several times and I don't see them there.

One of the big ones was in TX that carried her column.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Good luck with your quest. From the information you provided, she was writing mostly during the depression era, the 1930's. I doubt that we have members who would have been reading newspapers for quilting articles back then - but you never know. I doubt that you could build a case that she is "famous" now, but possibly that she was famous then. I think it would depend on how widely her articles were distributed. It's too bad she didn't live to see the rebirth of quilting in the mid-70's.
I know that there are few people alive today who would have read the org. printings of the column. But I'm hoping that others will help get her noted as famous on Find A Grave.

Personlly, I'm getting ready to print off her snowflake articles and make my own snowflake quilt from her patterns.