Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flying geese, how do YOU make yours?

Here's a PDF for the No Waste Method with a handy chart for those interested.
    http://tinyurl.com/7dewrfk

Would love for some one to do a tutorial with these rulers. I am considering them.
    Linda

I worked at El's Quilt in a Day store in San Marcos, CA for almost 6 years. Loved working there, but "retired" this year after my husband retired as "work" got in the way of our traveling!!I also avoided making flying geese El's way as I thought it to be labor intensive. Then I was at a QIAD retreat and making one of El's patterns that required flying geese. So I dove in, used her Flying Geese ruler and I have not turned back! Her method is the BEST way to make flying geese and the flying geese come out perfect every time. I have changed other patterns and used her method of making flying geese whenever I can because they are truly worth the extra work!!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuffalo View Post
    I use eleanor burns methods. quick and easy for me but then again I do not make many.
    I also use EB method. If your sewing is off a little, you can correct it. Remember, you get FOUR of them with every two squares you sew together. GOOD LUCK.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    I am reading this with interest because I am about to start a quilt with geese!

And I have avoided them because, mine don't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew View Post
    I use the Flying Geese ruler from Quilt in a Day........works for me!
    Same here......love the ruler!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I made my flying geese by the Ricky Timms method called One Seam Flying Geese. I think you can Google that. I'd put a picture on but not sure how to do it in this new format. That flying geese is super easy and fun to make.
    This is the way I make mine. I love quilts with flying geese and these are super easy.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I like the Quilt in a Day ruler for making my flying geese. I've tried other ways and hers is the most accurate for me.

I use the "no-waste method." It's easier for me than finding a special ruler in my mess--LOL.
    Beverly

I do mine this way-no wasted fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I am making a FG border for a quilt so I will need a lot of them. With a lot of experimenting, I found this method to be the easiest with the least waste. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoB3...eature=related

Blog Entries
    I just bought Deb Tuckers Wing Clipper ruler. I had seen a demo at a quilt show and thought it would be easier than El's ruler and method. There is no waste. Here is a link to a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WQpzknLGg

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    you need 96... I would make 96 HST and sew them together (remember, the HST gives you two for each square and you need 2 for each 'goose'.. so i would have a grid that would be 10 x 10 (it would make 100...fine...) or 5 x 20 or 3 x 33....whatever fit my fabric best...the size of the goose determines the size of he square... if i was going for a scrappy look, then i would just make 10 grids, each 2 x 5 and i would have 10 different fabric combos with no muss...

i prefer the seam down the middle for 2 reasons.... i like to play with the fabric colors and this makes it easier...4 pcs per goose... and i prefer the seam in the middle when the goose is larger.... the big pc in the center can look too big... anyway, after getting my grid done i use the magic square technique and i will be done sewing, cutting them apart and pressing and squaring up in front of the tv later....

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the ideas/advice

I love the rulers and Eleanor Burns method. I start making them with a quota to finish each day. They turn out perfect.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    I have tried many different methods, but Eleanor Burns method is the best. PP is another great method but slower.

Compared to cutting out little squares to sew in the corners Burns method is easier and faster. You are just using 2 large squares and your making 4 at a time.
    You only sew 2 seams corner to corner.
    There is a little waste of fabric.
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 11-10-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Check out this Tutorial! Ricky Timms method with a twist!! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t167405.html
    Hilary

Wow, makes me want to do a Flying Geese quilt now.

I have a question on the RT method. Because there is a "pocket" and makes it dimensional, do the fg pockets need to be stitched down afterwards? I wouldnt want little pieces sticking up on my quilt!

Cindy in TN

Blog Entries
    I use the "stich and flip" method. Haven't tried The Eleanor Burns method. I used to get her show on PBS Create channel, but since I switched to Direct TV, I don't get her or Fons and Porter anymore. Love the quality of the HD and NFL Sunday Ticket, but I sure do miss my quilting shows.

http://piecemealquilts.files.wordpre...e-tutorial.pdf for curved flying geese
    and
    no waste flying geese: http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf
    NWFG...get four really fast but must be careful w/stitching or they will be off. Rulers are probably the best but dont use it.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    How do you bookmark a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
    I feel imitated by flying geese, but now wondering what I am missing by avoiding them. I am going to bookmark this thread for sure!
    Barbara

May all your ups and downs be with needles and thread.

Thank you EVERYONE...what an eye opener...there are so many methods. I started out doing EB method, when I found I was short a few geese I went to the other methods...EB is the most accurate. I don't have the EB ruler yet...on its way from Amazon.com, my favorite mall....but I do have the Wing Clipper and that has helped me to get them trimmed, although probably more labor intensive than the EB ruler will be. I am determined to find my method and perfect it! I appreciate everyone's input on this...afterall, you just can't avoid flying geese if you are going to quilt!
    Michelle
    Michelle Guadarrama

I have a Flying Geese template by Eleanor Burns and it works great.

I like Ricky Timms method, but I have sense seen a tut from Missouri Star Quilt Company that is easy and quick, no specioal tools needed. Check on all methods to see the one you like the best.
    It is what it is ...deal with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast