Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FMQ - I now know why I failed Art Class in Kingergarten

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    I just had to chuckle reading your topic title. I failed Art Class in my freshman class in high school but excelled in sewing class.(truth I had been sewing long before going to high school). My teacher taught both classes and thought I was two different people!
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Ok bought the FMQ piece for my machine...while a couple of hours is not an exhibition in patience....uh I STINK at this....I will keep trying because I don't give up on stuff but man oh man am I glad the FMQ piece only cost $11.00 for when I realize a 3 year could do better than me!
    LOL at both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.

I feel for you....we should start a club...The Unable to FMQ Quilters!! :-)
    I think that I would be well qualified to join your club:)

I hear you and feel the same way about my FMQ! Ugh! I think it's so hard and others are so gifted at it! What do they know that we don't? :?

When I first tried FMQ, I broke several needles. Took the machine in for a checkup. You guessed it - there was nothing wrong with the machine. Apparently I was trying to move the fabric when the needle was down or just as the needle was entering the fabric. I became more careful about when I moved the fabric. Plus I was sewing too slow. Once I went faster, everything went smoother. A tip that I read somewhere. Always have a practice piece around and quilt on that for a few minutes before starting on the "real thing". It takes a few minutes to get back into the groove and get smooth flow in you quilting. This tip applies to hand quilting too. Just keep practicing and you will get better.

I knew I could get good at it someday, and it's today! I just didn't realize it. I've been meandering all around my office all week! Now if I could just get that good when I go to the sewing machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    But I want to be good RIGHT NOW, she said stamping her foot in frustration. Years??? seriously?????, I could be dead by then!!! And if even God put's me in stippling 101 I AM going to cry!
    Kappy - I know the feeling - I want it to be good and perfect right now....so what am I doing? on the message boards instead of practicing!!
    Good news, I've got meandering down pat. I meander out to the kitchen to get some coffee, I meander through my house that should get cleaned, I meander past my sewing machine and right back here to the good old computer! This meandering thing is easier than I thought!

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    ...I'm not taking back the not so nice words I said upon each broken needle!
    No one will ever tell you to take back those words... I've made a few new ones up, too :oops:

I'm playing in-between cups of coffee....its looking a little better - I know can draw as well as a 6 year old but this will take practice....
    Add a little wine to that coffee (or rum, or whatever) and it'll keep looking better and better! :shock: Keep going, practice - practice - practice

You only 'failed' in kindergarten because the 'art police' were out and about...don't take any notice of the fmq police either. Try quilter Cindy Needham's technique of just scribbling everywhere when she quilts. (She even crosses over lines).

I can't draw a stickman but I seem to have stiples mastered. Circles are impossible for me at this point. I figure if I just keep to one pattern at a time until I get it looking right, then I can move on to another pattern.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    Once I got the hang of the tension, pressure & speed the eyelashes went away and I became more concerned with design. I couldn't follow a line with FMQ so I practiced by stitching names of folks I love. We already know how to write and that involves shapes that are in quilt designs. Open up an "i" stitch an "o", a "t" that is not crossed. All these seemed to help me. When I got ready for designs I made what I call a wonky flower on a floral quilt top. 5 open i's in a wonky circle large as the space called for and then smaller i's inside those. Well, it suited me. I am not an artist either so decided to intentionally allow myself to make wonky designs and stitch folks names into the top if I know who it is going to.
    Hey! That helps me! What a great way to think about making those shapes. I need to print this. Can I send you a PM to get more tips like this?

Ok bought the FMQ piece for my machine...while a couple of hours is not an exhibition in patience....uh I STINK at this....I will keep trying because I don't give up on stuff but man oh man am I glad the FMQ piece only cost $11.00 for when I realize a 3 year could do better than me!
    Dear I was told when I bought my Long arm to put some music that I liked on an move to the music it seems to help loosen you up if your really tight an nervice.They also say if you can dance you can FMQ.I hope this helps.Dizzy

My "free motion" quilting consists of outlining: edges of flowers, vines, fairies, whatever print is on the fabrics. I lostly look for where I can follow a print (and I don't mind crossing over, either!).

I have never figured out how to do stippling.

Maybe someday I will try the dot-to-dot method. It looks close enough to outlining that I might stand a chance.

Blog Entries
    They also say if you can dance you can FMQ.I hope this helps.Dizzy[/quote]

Darn, two for two!!! Throw in being organized and I'll be 3 for 3! LOL

Blog Entries
    Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.
    I'm ready to join. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler, no joke. My daughter said she doesn't understand how I can cut fabric straight. Well me either. My FM looks like "hen scratching and then they just ran around and went to sleep and woke up startled". Oh well they do say that practice makes perfect, maybe for some folks, but I'm going to keep plugging along. Maybe some day ya think?

They also say if you can dance you can FMQ.I hope this helps.Dizzy

Darn, two for two!!! Throw in being organized and I'll be 3 for 3! LOL[/quote]

This fits me to a "T", three for three! :mrgreen:

where do i sign up?????? lol

Try practicing with a pencil and paper first, it really helps me to attain the 'muscle memory' when I'm trying a new pattern

O.K. I failed art all the way through school and now I'm showing my ignorance--what is a FMQ? So many abbreviations on this blog and I'm always in the dark.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    ACK I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I found that I like my older singer that has the darning option in it and I am soooooo much better with the FMQ. My other sewing machine would end up eating thread, messing up the bobbin, the needle bending or breaking, etc, etc....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marthahelen
    O.K. I failed art all the way through school and now I'm showing my ignorance--what is a FMQ? So many abbreviations on this blog and I'm always in the dark.
    Free Motion Quilting

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    I can't draw a stickman but I seem to have stiples mastered. Circles are impossible for me at this point. I figure if I just keep to one pattern at a time until I get it looking right, then I can move on to another pattern.
    Circles are not my thing either - I played with them today - uh my husband asked me if I was DWS (drunk while sewing)....I just threw the practice square at him!

Dont be hard on your self.It took me three years to get even half way good.

Quote Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    Open up an "i" stitch an "o", a "t" that is not crossed.
    I've only stitched in the ditch, so bear with my question,

but why can't quilting lines cross? I've noticed that they don't on people's fancy quilts. But why not?

I'm far away but in.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    When I first started, I was so bad I didn't even suck. SO congratulations for sucking. I had to work my way up to "suck" and remember when I came home from my class yelling across the yard "I suck, I finally suck"
    I equate the process to learning how to drive a stick-shift. Too many moving parts and everything has to be in alignment.
    Love it! And the driving analogy is a good one. I learned to drive very late (was 50 when I passed my test) and that was a long, hard, 2 year struggle that I remind myself of as I mess up my FMQ again - I got there in the end.

But I've wondered about the issue of being unable to draw - I can't draw with paper and pencil, so the chances of doing more than a meander on a quilt seem remote.

Please can I be a founder member?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast