Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: FMQ - I now know why I failed Art Class in Kingergarten

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Ok bought the FMQ piece for my machine...while a couple of hours is not an exhibition in patience....uh I STINK at this....I will keep trying because I don't give up on stuff but man oh man am I glad the FMQ piece only cost $11.00 for when I realize a 3 year could do better than me!

  2. #2
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    They do say practice makes perfect! I'm not there (or even close) yet either. Maybe someday. For anything I'm going to let out of my sight it will be SID for good while yet on my part.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    We are what we repeatedly do! Keep at it. I started with drawing on my practice fabric to have a line to follow. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    Shoulders back, back straight, elbows down, now breathe! You can do it!

  5. #5
    Senior Member pheasantduster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    420
    Blog Entries
    1
    I just had to chuckle reading your topic title. I failed Art Class in my freshman class in high school but excelled in sewing class.(truth I had been sewing long before going to high school). My teacher taught both classes and thought I was two different people!
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Ok bought the FMQ piece for my machine...while a couple of hours is not an exhibition in patience....uh I STINK at this....I will keep trying because I don't give up on stuff but man oh man am I glad the FMQ piece only cost $11.00 for when I realize a 3 year could do better than me!

  6. #6
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,142
    I feel your pain - but I'm not giving up until you see the whites of my eyes!

  7. #7
    Super Member BettyGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,289
    Don't give up. I made a major mess the first times I tried it, notice I said "times" and one day it finally clicked. Am I really good at it now? No way, but I feel more comfortable with it everytime I do it. I was lousy in art class too.

  8. #8
    Super Member quilttiludrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Posts
    1,418
    Everybody's got different quilting styles and/or techniques. Get confidence in doing one thing well, then go on to the next challenge! It feels good to be making progress! :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Quilting Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Upstate, SC
    Posts
    883
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh, don't give up. I just started doing this as well, and the first practice was a big mess. After that, things did start getting muh better....you can do it.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    in retirement
    Posts
    1,516
    Blog Entries
    3
    Free motion is like patting your head while rubbing your stomach!

    It takes ppatience & practice.
    Take a piece of muslin, draw some designs on it sandwich it, & pracctice.
    this is what I do with my students, start out moving the fabric from side to side, slowly.
    You're looking just to get the feel of the speed of the petal & your hand movement. I suggest to students, don' t put your whole foot on the petal. Just your toes, this will help you to sew slower, as you wwon' t. Be ablle to go too fast.

    Once you get your stitches even, not jumpy, try aa pattern.





    Good luck, hope this helps..

  11. #11
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,775
    Blog Entries
    4
    I practice with muslin and scraps of batting that I've zig zagged together. Or if I'm in a real pinch, craft felt. get a cheapy stencil and draw on the muslin and try to follow or "fill in" with quilting stitches.

    I'm not good but I have fun - and that's the whole point!

  12. #12
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

    I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.

    I feel for you....we should start a club...The Unable to FMQ Quilters!! :-)

  13. #13
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    It takes lots of practice. While you are practicing, if you find you are better at one thing than another, perfect that one thing. When I first started, I did best with loops and swirls. Not too bad at stars either. It took a lot of practice before I could stay reasonably close to the lines of a pattern. I'm comfortable with it now. I'm still best at loops, swirls and stars...one day, I am going to master feathers!

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Ok - well one issue resolved...my Esante Es2 isn't a normal machine...everything I've read says lower the tension - ok well on my machine lowered tension means move the dot to W - how was I to know that meant "wide" (oh the other side is "S" for "short"....then I saw some tutorials that said to put the stith length at zero...so I did this - broke 2 needles and puckered the heck of out material so I thought - hum...move the dot all the way up instead of down VIOLA...

    so on one hand I'm glad to know my machine is as backwards as I am - on the other...I'm not taking back the not so nice words I said upon each broken needle!

    I'm playing in-between cups of coffee....its looking a little better - I know can draw as well as a 6 year old but this will take practice....

  15. #15
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    I felt your pain today...This is my third time just sitting for abt an hr trying to get something that would look decent on a piece...the size of my stitches are consistant but I just can't get those swirls to look alike in size or even straight...My circles are getting better...Practice Practice Practice...I guess we'll see if we can write in a yr or so and say we got it....

  16. #16
    Senior Member ncsewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    757
    LOL, I sat in a meeting today and turned over the handout and meandered all over the back! I read that even this can help you get the feel.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    I felt your pain today...This is my third time just sitting for abt an hr trying to get something that would look decent on a piece...the size of my stitches are consistant but I just can't get those swirls to look alike in size or even straight...My circles are getting better...Practice Practice Practice...I guess we'll see if we can write in a yr or so and say we got it....
    Your doing circles? I'm strill trying squiggly lines....(I did put a piece of wax paper underneath and its moving more smooth now....

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsewer
    LOL, I sat in a meeting today and turned over the handout and meandered all over the back! I read that even this can help you get the feel.
    I doodle a lot - so maybe I'll change my thinking and doodle stipple's and meander's!! :)

  19. #19
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,240
    I just finished FMQ my first quilt and lets say that it is a good thing my dd is only three years old and not very picky about how nice the quilting is on her blanket. And this is after practicing a good amount on three different "doll" quilts for my dd to play with. it should get easier, but I have the same problem. My mom is a painter and I couldn't paint my way out of a room even with paint by numbers and someone else holding the brush. probably because i can't draw a straight line with a ruler. good luck and keep at it.

  20. #20
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,271
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I first started, I was so bad I didn't even suck. SO congratulations for sucking. I had to work my way up to "suck" and remember when I came home from my class yelling across the yard "I suck, I finally suck"
    I equate the process to learning how to drive a stick-shift. Too many moving parts and everything has to be in alignment.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,738
    I have tried just once. Suck so bad I've been hand appliquéing since! But I'll get back to it and keep plugging away!

  22. #22
    Super Member BettyGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

    I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.

    I feel for you....we should start a club...The Unable to FMQ Quilters!! :-)
    Oh, I like that. The UTFMQ Club, I'm in for that.

  23. #23
    Senior Member quilter1943's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Edgewater, FL
    Posts
    925
    I found the best practice was circle-type loops, swirls, too and hearts. In fact, the first quilts I ever did had hearts everywhere. You don't have to be an artist - there are so many stencils around. You'll do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    It takes lots of practice. While you are practicing, if you find you are better at one thing than another, perfect that one thing. When I first started, I did best with loops and swirls. Not too bad at stars either. It took a lot of practice before I could stay reasonably close to the lines of a pattern. I'm comfortable with it now. I'm still best at loops, swirls and stars...one day, I am going to master feathers!

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    I'm done practicing for the day....the kids and husband all came home and its too distracting...this is the best out of the pieces I've done....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    6 hours later - and here is where I'm at......

    I am kind of proud of myself....
    Attached Images Attached Images



Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.