Fmq?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Default Fmq?

Where is a discussion on the ways and whys? I'd like to learn, but I'm a minimalist. I've looked as those done on a frame, and I think there is way too much stitching. I wouldn't want one.The only time I'd care to see that much is on a whole cloth quilt.

I've got small areas I'd like to do, and maybe borders. Since I do QAYG, the design is already quilted.

I just finished a paper pieced wall hanging. I'm looking at another one. This one has an appliqued animal that is ironed on. I don't trust iron-on in the long run. So what do you do? Zigzag around the applique? Quilt over it? I'm not a fan of raggy edges, either.

I always satin stitched applique - usually on garments. Those have lasted over 20 years with repeated washings. On one, the fabric disintegrated first!

The one wallhanging I just did had those Geese triangles. I can do a smaller outline in the triangle, no problem. But what do you do with other designs if you aren't doing QAYG?

BTW - I'm judging from a quilt my grandma made me. I think it was mostly SITD and the other stuff was appliqued on after the quilt was done. It lasted over 25 years with heavy usage. Have no idea what batting she used, but fabric was mostly decent cotton.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Check out some of the Modern Quilts, there is even a Modern Quilt Guild and see how they quilt. A lot of it is just straight lines which could work even if your quilt isn't modern.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Even on a frame, quilts don't have to be "quilted to death". You can do minimalist quilting FMQ or on a frame (I do). There's no reason you can't satin stitch the applique on the quilt you are looking at - do what you like! I don't like raggy edges either. You can also turn almost any applique into a needle turn or something else without the raggy edges - but satin stitch would take care of that nicely too.
SITD is always an option, or echo quilting just inside or outside the design.

My "go to" options are: large meander (for wide open backgroud spaces, or an all-over design); SITD; cross hatching (about 2" apart is my preference). I'm branching into more 'custom' designs, following the block pattern, but I still like a lightly quilted look, so I stick with something that is 1-2 passes over any piece in the quilt.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Key word - Leah Day. I recommend that you sign up for her newsletters. She has one every Wednesday. She has completed 365 different FMQ designs. She has made many free vidios/tutorials of them and also a book/cd that is for sale. Also new is a class through Craftsy available for sale. I will attach a link to her site. There is a wealth of info and this link is to the 'Free Motion Quilt along'. She did a weekly class from start to finish of a whole cloth. - Scroll down the right side of her blog and you will see all the past entries from 2009. I also entered her name in Pinterest and a lot of her FMQ blocks show up there. Most of her designs are tight, but they can be as loose as you want. I lack imagination. Viewing her designs, gives me ideas for my projects. http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...ilt-along.html

Last edited by DebbyT; 11-15-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM

I've looked at her site, and the Craftsy classes are tempting, but stuff will just have to wait until after Christmas. I'm working on those projects. Plus I have calendars to lay out and print. I'm at the point where I'm bored with Christmas already.

To be honest, I've gone to quilt shows, and looked at the quilts, but never noticed the quilting. It's the play between colors and design that I find far more interesting. I like looking at a lot of "mavericks" - unfortunately, some of these quilts are not judged to be up to standard - or what the guild thinks is standard.

I've looked at Pinterest and can't make heads nor tails out of that site. There was on pattern I liked, must have been posted 10 times, and finally found one post that said where to BUY said pattern. Most of the chatter was "I like this, will have to do this someday - this would look good in red" If I'm looking for a pattern, I want to know where to get it. Or where to read about it constructionwise and qualitywise. If I can't find the info fast enough, it does the designer out of money since I'll look for something else to make and buy.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Actually, you do not have to do Leah's Craftsy class in order to learn a lot from her, although I'm sure the class is probably great. Leah has so much free information on her website, newsletters and videos on you-tube, you could hardly ask for more, if you are interested.