Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: folds in quilt after I got it back from LAQ

folds in quilt after I got it back from LAQ

I received the quilt back with three folds in the borders LAQ said she did the best she could but borders were wavy. Never happened to me before. What can I do to hide them?

Quote Originally Posted by cmilton View Post
    I received the quilt back with three folds in the borders LAQ said she did the best she could but borders were wavy. Never happened to me before. What can I do to hide them?
    It probably never happened before, as you had your quilt flatter, and not so wavy.

Another time ... get it flat before sending it to the quilter. Yes, it may mean that you need to take your borders off and re-do them, though wouldn't it be worth it?

The LAQ cannot remove problems that are there before she gets it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Just the way I put borders on and works everytime. Measure quilt through the center. I lay my border strip and lightly smooth it out, mark and cut to that length, lay ontop of the other piece, lightly smooth, cut same size. Pin the border strips and quilt edge into thirds, sew on both pieces. Repeat for the other two sides. I've never had wavy borders. Good luck.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Can you use matching thread and slip stitch the folds down?

it is SO impoetant to measure and cut your borders correctly, you may not notice the waves when you get them on a frame for quilting theres no way to avoid puckers if they're too long.
    after you wash the quilt it's doubtful that they'll be noticed.
    my ex-father in law used to say "bought learning is the best learning!" and I've bought myself plenty!

You might be able to find, or fabricate, an appropriate piece to applique over the crease.
    http://trenbeathranch.com

Trust me...there is nothing a long armer doesn't try to get the waves out! As a long armer, I've had to quilt creases into a quilt before. I generally try to do it close to a seam if at all possible. Usually, it's the same customer that brings me wavy quilts. She is a friend and not that exact of a piecer. I just do the best I can, but can't seem to make her realize that her haphazardness is what results in folds in her borders.
    ~Laura

Blog Entries
    I have never used a LAQ, but wouldn't it have been better if she had communicated with her customer before she quilted it and let her customer know there was a problem with the borders?

I think she should have told you about the wavy borders before she quilted the wavy borders.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I have never used a LAQ, but wouldn't it have been better if she had communicated with her customer before she quilted it and let her customer know there was a problem with the borders?

I think she should have told you about the wavy borders before she quilted the wavy borders.
    And maybe she has communicated ... and no heed was taken.

jme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    Can you use matching thread and slip stitch the folds down?
    I've done this before and it works pretty well.
    JME

Fabric makes me happy!

Power Poster
    At this point, you can either add appliqués or stitch down the creases with matching thread as others have mentioned. I know that LA cannot perform miracles but if it was me, I would have appreciated a call to let me fix it before it was quilted down. The LA should have been able to see the problem as the quilt was loaded?

Blog Entries
    I only do LA quilting for me. The one time I had my borders wavy (before I knew the right way to measure for borders) I didn't notice it until I about 1/4 of the quilting done. Not sure you would know it when it is loaded on the frame.
    Quilting in the Desert

I have had two come in that the borders were wavy, and of course it didn't show until I was almost done. I won't do it anymore, but I took those borders off and fixed them, (charged extra of course) took pictures of the before, and after showing why I had to do it, along with the extra fabric back to them. I explained to them the correct way of measuring for borders, hopefully they got it.

Blog Entries
    This is a sticky situation,, as a LA quilter, you sure don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but anyone bringing a quilt to you needs to know just what you expect from the quilter... A check list would be good... I have done several for a friend that does not get her borders flat.. A LA can only do so much.. Bonnie Hunter has a wonder site that covers how to get your borders to lay flat... quiltville.com Sorry that happened to you.

Working on my first quilt that is going out to LAQ. Making me nervous!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I used to have wavy borders even tho I measured across the center. I now cut my borders lengthwise of the fabric instead of crosswise and my borders hang straight.
    prolific hand quilter

I agree with annthreecats. The LA should have communicated with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    Working on my first quilt that is going out to LAQ. Making me nervous!
    don't be nervous....just check your borders before you send it off. I always use the same 2 LA ladies and they do wonderful work. I had one quilt that would not lay right on the frame due to waves...this was a nightmare quilt. She gave back to me to fix...and it is still in a wadded up mess in the corner...don't know that I will ever fix this thing.
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

I've never used a LA quilter before - never really had the extra money to pay them. Maybe someday. :-)

I do have a question tho. I always thought you quilted the quilt before putting the borders on. Do most people do the borders first?

Quote Originally Posted by Scakes View Post
    I've never used a LA quilter before - never really had the extra money to pay them. Maybe someday. :-)

I do have a question tho. I always thought you quilted the quilt before putting the borders on. Do most people do the borders first?
    Yes, you assemble the quilt fully, including borders.
    The process is really no different than if you are hand quilting, using a DSM or LAQ.

Once the quilting is completed, then you do your binding.
    Again, just the same as with the other types of quilting.

Blog Entries
    in my opinion, this person should have contacted you regarding the folds.... this is a common practice for long arm quilters when working, they cannot be expected to correct your mistakes, but... it is your hard work...
    I learned a whole lot about squaring up my quilt when I went to a local shop and quilted my own quilt on a longarm... my final border had to be fixed... and they wanted to me to put a fold in the border... I actually was able to manipulate the fabric as it was quilted and it came out fine. But... it was an invaluable learning experience for me as a new quilter... lol

annthreecats,
    I would have loved to have known before she quilted it but she said it was already loaded on the machine and she didn't get the waves until she got to the bottom.

thanks for all the suggestions I think I will try slip stitching , washing and applique if I still need to.

should you square the quilt top before you give to LAQ? or is the method of measuring through the center enough? I do that. not sure what happened with this one.

Thanks jme.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast