Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: found a tote full of cloth

Blog Entries

Thumbs up found a tote full of cloth

Decided to stop at a second hand place that opened this winter to check it out. She also advertises crafts. I happened to spot a tote that was full of cloth. I didn't look at it much by offered her $10 for the whole things. She took it. when I got home and started sorting and washing I found one piece that is like drapery or light upholstery material about 5 yards. pieces of cottons etc. Half yards to full yards and smaller. Also about 35 blocks cut out in tiny roses on white, and then there is all kinds of slippery stuff like wedding dress, prom, etc with all kinds of pieces. It's not the goodies everyone describes here at times but it is sure a lot to practice on.

Not bad for the money

You can make a quilt tote and several purses out of the upholstery fabric. Remnants run about $6.00 per yard around here, so you did get a good deal.

Anytime you pay less than retail/ sales/ coupons for something you re going to use, you totally score!!! I need to hit the thrift stores more often!

Blog Entries
    Nice acquisition!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Sounds like you have all sorts of fun stuff to play with!
    I see totes, wall hangings, crazy quilts, and even a regular quilt or two in your future.
    Have fun!

PS in the satins, are there any with bright or darker colors? If so PM me as I would like to buy or trade for them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Little bit like Christmas!

Blog Entries
    so, why the 'thumbs down' ? seems like you made out pretty good...like you said you have lots to practice with, some of the (slippery stuff) can be stabilized & used as embellishment, applique. home dec---you said she advertises crafts---and that is what you got- craft fabrics- I would give it a thumbs up.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    so, why the 'thumbs down' ? seems like you made out pretty good...like you said you have lots to practice with, some of the (slippery stuff) can be stabilized & used as embellishment, applique. home dec---you said she advertises crafts---and that is what you got- craft fabrics- I would give it a thumbs up.
    OOPS! I Thought I had the right thumb. It was suppose to be an up thumb. Oh, well!

Blog Entries

Smile

You have lots of fabric to use in an art quilt, or you can use pieces as embellishments!!! Lucky you!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
    Decided to stop at a second hand place that opened this winter to check it out. She also advertises crafts. I happened to spot a tote that was full of cloth. I didn't look at it much by offered her $10 for the whole things. She took it. when I got home and started sorting and washing I found one piece that is like drapery or light upholstery material about 5 yards. pieces of cottons etc. Half yards to full yards and smaller. Also about 35 blocks cut out in tiny roses on white, and then there is all kinds of slippery stuff like wedding dress, prom, etc with all kinds of pieces. It's not the goodies everyone describes here at times but it is sure a lot to practice on.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Sounds like you have all sorts of fun stuff to play with!
    I see totes, wall hangings, crazy quilts, and even a regular quilt or two in your future.
    Have fun!

PS in the satins, are there any with bright or darker colors? If so PM me as I would like to buy or trade for them.
    I have several blues and lavender/purples. Went to take photo and have to charge my battery. I can send them to you if that is colors you want. There is not a lot of fabric. There are a few squares like someone wanted to do a quilt. I will just sent them if the colors are OK. Send me your address.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Great for your purpose and if you only get to use 3 yards of fabric in a quilt or project, you are ahead of the game.

Power Poster
    Sounds like a good deal....

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    You can make a quilt tote and several purses out of the upholstery fabric. Remnants run about $6.00 per yard around here, so you did get a good deal.
    You could make some grocery bags out of that fabric....works great. I have 5 in my car at all times.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I found a really cool grocery bag tutorial on Pinterest. I'll try to post a link later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    You could make some grocery bags out of that fabric....works great. I have 5 in my car at all times.
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

Blog Entries
    since I love just touching fabrics, and thinking about them, I'd be in 7th heaven over that, and just think, the tote holds memories of all those that had to do with the fabric...hey, maybe I'll write another story about fabric one day soon. God bless and congrats on the wonderful buy. In addition to all the other suggestions, how about a slightly padded book cover with embellishments for gifts. Might be a good seller for a craft pattern 3 ring binder. YEA (My old gourd is still working) (somewhat) (Laughing at my silly self.)

Vickey Stamps
    Last edited by wordpaintervs; 06-03-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind finding a bargain like that.....great for tying out things before cutting your special fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Glad you made the offer.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

A great find, especially if you know someone that makes doll clothes or children's clothes or costumes.

Blog Entries
    speaking of doll clothes you got my attention. i could see a couple of party dresses and maybe a flower girl's dress. i usually think in terms of 18" dolls, but i have others, too. great hobby!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.