Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free (Almost)  Quilting Design Software Products >

Free (Almost) Quilting Design Software Products

Free (Almost) Quilting Design Software Products

Old 09-26-2020, 05:48 AM

Default Free (Almost) Quilting Design Software Products

Has anyone tried any of the free, quilting design, software products that are out there right now? I've come across Quilting Buddy, Quilt Assistant and Quilt Fusion. There are probably others. Most are free, but some charge a small fee, or the free version is only a 30 day trial. What have you tried? How did you like it?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:33 AM

I have tried Quilt Assistant. I found it to be a bit difficult to navigate and much prefer my old Quilt Pro or EQ. I haven't updated my EQ for many many years now and find that I do well enough without either of them. Oh of course there are times that I want to design something unique and will go back to my old Quilt Pro for that. I still keep Quilt Assistant on my computer just in case something comes up that needs something a bit newer than my Quilt Pro can handle.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:10 AM

I admire those of you who design your own quilts. I couldn't design a square box on my own.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:09 PM

I'm eager to hear the results of this query. Plenty of block designs out there but sometimes its hard to visualize the secondary patterns. Keep that input coming!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Another design app that I just came across is Pattern Jam: https://patternjam.com You join (free) and you can manipulate various blocks and fabrics to create your own design. You can then share your design with the other members, if you so choose. I particularly like, "Odd Smiles," by peacefulhippy28. (I see a variation of this pattern in a slew of rainbow fabrics for a, "happy happy, joy, joy" kind of quilt.) They also have a discussion group on Facebook to help you navigate the app.

Last edited by tropit; 09-26-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:30 PM

If you don't have room for a design wall, these apps are a practical way to go. You can do all of the designing from the computer.