Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting design >

free motion quilting design

free motion quilting design

Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Default free motion quilting design

I am about to finish the Big Star Quilt by Missouri Star and would like some suggestions for doing free motion quilting on it. How do you decide what design to use?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM

By your post I noticed you are new here. Welcome to the board.

First a few question ~ Are you new to quilting also? Do you have a walking foot? The easiest way to quilt with your home machine. Are you comfortable with FMQ (free motion quilting with a darning/quilting foot). It does take some practice, and then some more.

If you take a picture, give us input what you were thinking and what level of quilter you are. Then you will have lots of suggestions. Good luck
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Hmmm I would probably have to see it ti have an opinion.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM

I took a class and they said to first stitch in the ditch on every seam before FMQ'ing...that took forever. Then I used stencils for the end blocks...oh my...never knew how long that took. Now I am just meandering....not even half done. Wow...wish I would have just did my simple meandering . The decorative FMG is just too much for me...my back is killing me. Good luck with yours.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I TOO would have like to seen a picture. There are lots of stencils available. If you have NOT done FMQ, I would start on something smaller. The one thing you need to do is find a speed that is comfortable for you to quilt. Learn at that speed how the machine moves the fabric and when doing free motion, you want to get to that speed and match the movement of the fabric the same as when it was doing straight stitching. NEVER stop on a curve. Good Luck. There is SO much to learn before you can successfully FMQ. It is like riding a bike. Got to put on those training wheels!!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 PM

I have just done one quilt with FMQ so I am no expert. I used a stencil to mark the fabric and that made it easier for me. As far as what design to quilt I agree with the others that it will depend on your quilt. I will also add that I really like the stencils.. there a tons of different designs that I could never come up with on my own
Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 PM

I like using stencils because I can follow a line. When you are auditioning designs, remember you want an even density across the quilt.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 PM
RST

Hi Sherlstar -- do yo like the way Jenny quilted the one on display in the MSQC video? To my eye, it looks like it's an unmarked free motion quilting-- loose swirls and paisley with a bit of floral thrown in. I think it's a nice approach for that quilt design -- the piecing is very angular, so to have the curving and swirling design in the quilting softens the overall look of the quilt.

I personally don't mark or use stencils -- I find it easier to just "doodle" with my stitching all over the quilt top./ I try to keep my spacing and stitch density even by visualizing an object-- so some quilts I strive for a about a quarter (as in $.25) between the stitching lines. Others are looser, and I visualize a toddler puzzle piece.

I'll also go against the majority and say that I don't stitch in the ditch before FMQ. I start off center and work one quadrant at a time. On the rare occasion when I want the top stabilized a little extra before starting the FMQing I will use a water soluble thread to stitch a grid on some of the more major lines of the piecing. Then I feel free to run my FMQ thread right over that, as it will wash away after it's served the purpose of keeping everything smooth and stable during FMQ.

IF you are a novice FMQer, I'd probably suggest doing a loose meander in a medium thread that will blend well. If you're pretty confident and experienced, I think it would be a lot of fun to pick two contrasting styles of quilting for the stars vs. the background to really play up the pieced design -- something like a swirling spiral for the background areas, and more of a feathered plume within the stars. With that approach, I would match thread to fabrics to leave the focus on the texture and not so much on the actual stitches. If you wanted to get really adventuresome, you could create a little contrast between the medium and the dark portions of the stars. Have you ever taken a look at Angela Waters' blog? She has some very inspiring FMQ ideas (though keep in mind that she uses a long arm and is a pro). I find her approach to be really fun and visually interesting, and I sometimes adapt and simplify some of the designs she features.

Best wishes with your project. I'm sure it will be wonderful. Do share photos when you're done!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 PM

Hi, and welcome. I would stabilise with a clear or even a washable thread around stars and across quilt. Then personally would free motion feathers in each large star not sure about. The rest but try googling star quilts and look at the images for inspiration. Enjoy.