Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 10-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Default free motion quilting

I am very new to this and am trying to teach myself how to do it. No matter what I do I can't move my fabric smoothly under the presser foot. I is very tight even with the feed dogs done. The presser foot is at zero (darn) but is pushing down to hard on the fabric.......????????????????????
Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

You need a FMQ foot or darning foot with the little spring in it. Some machines cone with a darning or FMQ foot but others need to purchase one. What brand of machine are you working on? If you go to Leah day's site, she has videos of her quilting designs with a FNQ foot and you can get some tips. I think it is www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 AM

I agree. There is no FMQ without a darning foot. Also need to make sure to set your Stitch Length to 0. After that, it should be easy to move fabric, but getting even stitches is a whole 'nother problem. I'd suggest buying a yard or two of practice fabric and some batting for that so you can practice FMQ without worrying about ruining your quilt top. FMQ does not come instantly. It takes about 8 hours of practice to get the movements down.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

There are so many "tricks of the trade" to learn in order to do FMQ successfully you really need to be able to watch u-tube videos, take an online class or find out a class schedule at your LQS. What type of foot did you have on your DSM?? A darning foot has a metal round circle as the foot. Check your manual to see if one was included with your DSM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

some time ago i took a fmq class and the instructor had us all leave our feed dogs up. worked fine. usually i elect to lower mine anyway. A fmq foot with a spring on it is extremely helpful. also make sure your machine bed is not sticky at all. I somehow got spray basting on the backing a bit and that caused me problems. Good luck
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Thank you everyone but it appears I have a bigger problem. I own to different Kenmore machines and they tell me that there is no quilting foot to go with either of them. They have a darning foot, which came with the machine, but it is not even close to what I need.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Here's a link to help identify the shank size http://shop.sew-classic.com/What-sha...hank-Style.htm . She may have something that will work with your machines. If these are older machines come on over to the vintage and antiques section for some help.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady View Post
Thank you everyone but it appears I have a bigger problem. I own to different Kenmore machines and they tell me that there is no quilting foot to go with either of them. They have a darning foot, which came with the machine, but it is not even close to what I need.
It just takes practice, no matter what foot you use or settings on your machine. You don't necessarily "need" a quilting foot. I have an old 15 class clone that free motions very well with the regular straight stitch foot on and feed dogs up. Her secret is no presser foot pressure, the inner spring for setting it is worn out. You don't say how old your machine is, but on some older machines the "darn" setting can be for feed dog height, not foot pressure. I also polish the bed of my machines so the fabric slides easier.

Cari
Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady View Post
Most people use a darning foot for FMQ. This is usually the one that has the spring in it that moves up and down with the needle; this is called a jumping foot. However, there is another type of foot that can be used for FMQ -- a floating foot. The floating foot goes down like any other presser foot but not very far, so the foot simply floats halfway between the feed dogs and the quilt top.

If you post the Kenmore models you have, someone can probably link you to a foot that will work.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 PM

Lots of good advice - I hope you find a solution because once you "crack" fmq it is so much fun !