Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Friends don't let friends buy ugly fabric.

I'm honest and have no problem letting them know what I think.

Blog Entries
    If they ask, I do give my honest opinion but I expect the same from my friends. We all have different tastes in fabric and sometimes I buy fabric to go with opther fabric in my stash but usually I buy fabric b/c it calls my name.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here's my take. If I ask you, you can tell me it's ugly. If I disagree, I'll buy it anyway.

If I ask you if it "goes" with another piece of fabric and you san NO, I won't buy it. I'm a bad faric matcher and have learned that nearly everyone's advice is better than mine.

I give an honest answer, and follow it with "but if it is something you really love, by all means get some, but I wont be buying any!

Blog Entries
    Be honest! Have fun shopping for fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by EllaBud
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    It all depends on what they are going to do with it.
    Sometimes, a pig isn't pretty until it is turned into a ham.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    My friends and I are always honest about fabric. The three of us have completely different tastes in fabric, so usually we just say, "Yep, that looks like you!"
    That made me laugh out loud! ESQMommy and I went to a quilt show last weekend and looking at the fabric I was exclaiming over some pretty florals. She said, "Yes, that's you."

LOL!!! I know she is more geometric and modern, Kaffee Fassett type of fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I tell my friend the truth and then she'll buy it and make something beautiful LOL Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

I'd ask them what they intended to use it for....because like someone posted rooster fabric turned into a OBW or kaleidoscope or whatever you call it, and it was fantastic! Had they just picked up rooster fabric, I'd be like....ummmm do you have a rooster project in mind? :D

I would probably ask what they planned to use it for first. If they said they just loved the fabric, I would keep my mouth shut.....unless they asked my opinion..... :-D

Ditter

Blog Entries
    When I shop with my sister, she often picks out terribly garish, ugly fabrics for her quilts. I used to give her my opinion about them. However, after I realized that her quilts turn out better than mine in terms of fabric and color choices, I keep my mouth shut!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    However, after I realized that her quilts turn out better than mine in terms of fabric and color choices, I keep my mouth shut!
    Had to laugh at this one. I usually ask DH's opinion since he's better at combining colors than I am.

Blog Entries
    Hmm reading some of the comments .. thinking beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like one, another another. And as some say, what looked "ugly" could most definitely look great withing the works of other fabrics! or maybe that splash of "ugly" may make the quilt unique to itself.. hmmm being new and not overly sure of choosing colors myself, I find looking over the pictures here many variations of colors, some bold , others muted , some a mix of both. It is my guess what suits your fancy is what works for you :). Just a thought.

Actually friends torture friends with ugly fabric. LOL! Nothing beats a good ugly fabric challenge.

I actually have a friend that when she runs across a particularly ugly fabric will buy a fat quarter and give it to me and challenge me to "do something with this."

Sis and I went to three shops today. She held up one thinking that I would like it. I made the same face my father used to make when something he was eating did not have enough salt. And that is why we do not buy fabric for each other..... :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    A true friend will always give an honest answer, whether it be positive or negative. I always say if I don't like something; and agree to disagree.
    This is how I feel too :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who insists on wearing clothes that are neither age-appropriate, nor do they fit half the time. (She believes in the tighter is better concept.) When we go shopping and she tries on something that I wouldn't be caught dead in, I know by the way she presents (prances) how badly she wants it. Her "what do you think?" really doesn't matter because in her mind's eye she looks beautiful - despite the gigantic mirror in the dressing room that screams "my eyes! my eyes!"

In fabric selection, I may be more direct but I try very hard to qualify my statements. I have allowed myself to be talked out of or into fabric because of someone's personal taste. One person's ugly is another's Mona Lisa.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Be honest.
    yes be honest.

Blog Entries
    i'm far too often revoltingly free with my opinion, whether it's appropriate or not. sooooo, i have been known to tell friends that something they are about to buy is gag-a-maggot ugly.

i also make sure to tell them: if you like it, my opinion is irrelevant.

im always too honest for my own good... but me telling my grandmother how hideous her choices were never changed her choices anyway.. If some1 likes a fabric, no1 elses opinion should change that. :D

but i like the idea of a group of friends hunting down the ugliest each can find and swap them around for a challenge between friends, sounds fun :D

Whether it's fabric, a new hair style, an outfit, or anything else, my friends know that if they don't want my honest opinion DON'T ASK. I always answer honestly. I know that in the past there's been times when people have gotten their feelings hurt but then a few days later they'll ask for my opinion again. As one lady put it, "I'm asking you because I know you'll tell me the truth."

ok, here is what I do. If asked if i like a fabric, I will say yes or no.
    If asked if a fabric will work in something and shown a picture, i will think about it and then answer, considering the size of the print, the value of the color, etc.
    Whether i think a fabric is ugly or not, really depends on what it will be used for.
    I have seen stripes and polka dots in places i wouldn't use them, and some quilts wouldn't be the same without them.
    But, however I say it, I do tell the truth. That is what they are asking for.
    I have on occassion, laughingly asked a question and suggested that they "lie" to me, lie to me!" :wink:
    (not about fabrics though. I always make up MY OWN mind about those). :mrgreen:

You can always hide ugly fabric in a quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tally Kathy
    You can always hide ugly fabric in a quilt!
    This is so true. I've seen some pretty ugly fabric look beautiful in a quilt. I've also seen some pretty fabric look ugly in a quilt.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I usually tell them what I think about the fabric - but in my experience it's like that old saying 'one man's trash is another man's treasure. It's all a matter of taste and what appeals to each of us is sometimes different.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast