Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible applique - how to not fray the ends? >

Fusible applique - how to not fray the ends?

Fusible applique - how to not fray the ends?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM

yes all but the edge of the stitch is on the piece just a small bite into the background
Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 PM

I use a stabilizer under the background when I machine applique. Sometimes all I have is a piece of paper, but that works almost as good as the tear away stuff. Your needle might not be sharp enough. I use Superior's Titanium Coated needles in a Topstitch 80/12 or 90/14 size.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM

I would use as fine of a needle as I could get away with. When I use invisible thread I use a 60/8 and it really helps with the edge frays.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM

You can always use a one sided sew in fusible where you sew the non-fusible side to the right size of the fabric, make a small slit in the fusible and turn it right side out. After you smooth the seams out, you can then fuse the applique down and use a zig zag stitch. I prefer using a satin stitch because I really dislike the raw edge unless it is in a wall quilt that won't be washed very often.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM

I use the double sided Wonder Under. No problems. I don't stitch very far into the background. Maybe that's the difference.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM

fine sharps needle --button hole stitch straight stitches on bacground with the zag! stitch on applique---just done 40 6x6+hearts appliqued on and used 2 needles
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM

I'm just teaching myself also and just finished doing the applique on one quilt. Here's what I did and had no problems....(well, except for my ugly stitches)

I always prewash my fabrics (including the applique fabrics)

I spray starch the wrong side of the fabrics blend in with my hands then press, flip over (no need to spray again just press) and have no problems with flaking.

I use double sided Wonder Under, press on the applique fabric, cut, peel off the paper backing and iron on the applique. (The spray starch didn't hurt this process for me at all)

I use the satin stitch on the applique part.

Now if I could just do a better job with the look of my stitches.lol I'm working on it!

I did try the stablizer (copy paper) on a few pieces and really didn't notice a difference. Maybe just try the spray starch and see if it will allow your applique to stick and maybe help stiffen things up enough to sew the applique on. (if you do use the paper as a stablizer with the satin stitch it brakes right off).

Best wishes for success!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM

I use steam a seam fuse and really like it. Did you fuse the appique to the background fabric, were you using quality fabric? I also don't use a huge needle, a 70 or 80 is about as large as I go, unless I am using a 40 wt. thread, but that is mostly used with a blanket stitch. When I do satin stitch, I only allow the needle on the zag of the stitch to fall off the applique, the rest of the stitch is on the applique fabric. Also consider the size of the applique, if it is large, then use a wider zigzag, I usually use between 2.5 - 3 on my Bernina. I love doing satin stitch applique. Hope this helps your problems.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Oh yes, I forgot, I always use some kind of stabilizer of the back of the backgound fabric. That keeps the satin stitch from tunneling or puckering as you are stitching. My favorite is a tear away as it comes off easy after you are done. Don't know why I forgot to mention that with the first post.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Thank you all for letting me know your methods and you needle size!

I was planning on fusing on the applique to the borders (just in the borders, center is pieced), quilting the center and then quilting the applique border. So I would have the satin stitch pattern showing up on the back. Is there a reason I wouldn't want to do that? Everyone's talking about stabilizer, and I *think* I wouldn't need stabilizer then, but not sure...

thanks!