Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible batting query >

fusible batting query

fusible batting query

Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Tell me how this works. I spray basted the dickens out of my last quilt, way starched the back and I still got pleats. The fusible sounds like it might work. Guidance please!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I tried the fusible once and didn't like it. It didn't stay fused and drove me nuts. :(
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM

I have used the fusible and I liked it. You have to iron on both sides which can be tricky if it is a big quilt but I had no problems with it.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by katieranch
I have used the fusible and I liked it. You have to iron on both sides which can be tricky if it is a big quilt but I had no problems with it.
Do you like it so well you always use it?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 AM

I use it for small projects but it doesn't hold really well.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM

I know of a LQS that uses it all the time. I have used it for some smaller projects and found it really easy to use.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM

I especially like the fusible when I'm quilting a top which someone has washed (and has fraying seams) or which doesn't lie flat due to less-than-perfect piecing. (usually mine! :oops: )

I don't use it for all quilts because it is kind of a pain in the neck to iron it to both sides, and it doesn't come in a king size. But it's perfect for problematic tops and for small quilts.

The fusible isn't sticky like the spray, but it does a good job of keeping your fabric flat and smooth. Fuse the front first, then the back. You may want to wash and iron the backing fabric beforehand, so that it's pre-shrunk and the sizing is washed out - the sizing may prevent the fusible from sticking as well as it can. (as might starch)

I've used mostly the Hobbs brand fusible, which feels stiff and decidedly un-cuddly when you're working with it, but it becomes much softer when you wash it and dry it in the dryer. :)

Edited to add: if you pin around the outside edges of the quilt, it will keep the layers from separating and helps maintain the hold from the fusible.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I especially like the fusible when I'm quilting a top which someone has washed (and has fraying seams) or which doesn't lie flat due to less-than-perfect piecing. (usually mine! :oops: )

I don't use it for all quilts because it is kind of a pain in the neck to iron it to both sides, and it doesn't come in a king size. But it's perfect for problematic tops and for small quilts.

The fusible isn't sticky like the spray, but it does a good job of keeping your fabric flat and smooth. Fuse the front first, then the back. You may want to wash and iron the backing fabric beforehand, so that it's pre-shrunk and the sizing is washed out - the sizing may prevent the fusible from sticking as well as it can. (as might starch)

I've used mostly the Hobbs brand fusible, which feels stiff and decidedly un-cuddly when you're working with it, but it becomes much softer when you wash it and dry it in the dryer. :)

Edited to add: if you pin around the outside edges of the quilt, it will keep the layers from separating and helps maintain the hold from the fusible.
THanks! This is what I was wondering about.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM

I've used Hobbs alot with my QAYG projects. It works great for me and after washing my quilts as nice and snuggly.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot

So helpful to me. I just bought a package of June Tailor twin size to use for some baby quilts. It was on sale @ JoAnn's & came with a June Tailor 4" square ruler attached. Too good of a deal to pass up.