Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fusible batting

Blog Entries
    If you wish to keep the layers from slipping, why not use a spray and do it very lightly? I also find that the cotton battings seem to "hold" the other layers the best.

I use fusible batting when I am embroidering a quilt. It doesn't pucker around the design. Love it.

Thanks for the info Candace! I want to try one of Anita Grossman Solomon's Rotary Cutting Revolution quilts, and they all involve starch.
    What do you usually use? Do you know if the basting spray will work with starch? I really REALLY hate pinning! LOL[/quote]

I starch heavly, and have had no problem using basting spray. Works just fine.

I took Anita's class and she bastes her quilt sandwich with water soluble thread and washes the quilt when finished.

I don't care for the fusible batting. The basting spray works better for me.

I used it wonce and did not like it. Even after washing several times it seems stiff. I think the basting spray and Sharon Schambers way of sandwiching the quilt is the way to go.

I am finishing a wall hanging and used the fusable batting. I will not use it again because unless it is absolutely perfectly straight it is not easy to manuever.

Don't like it. I used it once and said "Never Again!!"

I use the fusible on smaller projects and really like it. I LOVE the spray adhesive but it does require a lot of smoothing of the layers to make it come out right. Good luck.

Dee
    Didn't care for it.

Blog Entries
    I didn't like it at all.. the only place I use fusible is when I make totes or bags.. but never for quilts..

I use basting spray and I've had great results with it.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey
    I love fusible batting and basting spray, as hours of tedious pinning or basting just doesn't fit with my life! I fusible-basted a kingsized quilt once---the ironing took time, I admit, but was still OK and made it VERY easy to quilt with nothing moving around!
    I use the spray and wanted to try fusible. Can you share some pros & cons of each? I'll NEVER go back to pinning so it's one or the other for me.

Fusible batting is best for wallhangings and crafts like handbags becasue it is not nearly as soft and cozy as regular batting. I'd not use it for even a lap quilt, and I'd suspect that a quilter you sent it to wouldn't either.

Starch, are you useing it for basting? I used the basting spray on my last lap quilt and the fabric was not sticking.

I have used the fusible batting for quilted jackets, bags and quilt-as-you-go quilts. It worked wonderfully for me. I don't know if I would use it on a big project, but small ones work great.

Blog Entries
    I have used the fusable batting for small projects and have been very satisfied with it, but I don't think I would use it in a quilt simply because it takes too much pressing! I use spray basting for quilts and love it. I think if I had to pin my sandwich together, I would give up quilting! :lol:

I tried the fusible and hated it. I pulled it off my quilt and then used the basting spray. The spray works well for me.

I use it on almost all of my Embroidered quilts. No movement and very smooth blocks, especially if the embroidery is very dense. Love it!!!

Where do you buy it, how much is it a yard?

I have only used fusable batting on a couple wall hangings. They were a little stiff, but did not wash to find out if they would soften up. I am afraid to try on a larger quilt because I am afraid to iron on the carpet...worried about melting the carpet. May be silly, but not going to take a chance. As for starch and basting spray...I starch stiff and have had no problems with the spray. I mostly use 505.

I buy it at Joanns. Usually wait for a 50% off coupon. It is about 6.99 a yd. I prefer the Pelon #970. I have used it for a long time for my quilts that I make on my embroidery machine. Love it. I don't use it for my patchwork quilts.

I love it but I only use the Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece. It's more expensive but worth it and I buy it by the bolt. I use it for everything - quilts, table toppers, coasters, purses, anything that requires batting.

I have found it to be great for things like placemats, bags or vests where you might or might not want to do a lot of quilting yet you need the effect of quilting. I would not use it for a quilt however, it is not fexible enough.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    I just signed up for a free motion class at a LQS. The supply list included fusible batting for use for the practice pieces.
    Well, talk about sticker shock!!!!! I was charged $13.27 for 1 yd. of 96" Fusible 80/20. It feels stiff and picky and is not what I would normally use for a quilt. The LQS claims that it is great to use but I think other than using this for the class, I defnitely will not be using it again.

I'm not sure on performance as I will just be working with small squares but for value and texture I will most likely stick with the 505 basting spray for small items and the regular Warm & Natural for the quilts.

Blog Entries
    I like it for little wall hangings, purses and the like but I think I prefer Warm & Natural, etc. for a bed quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast