Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Gadgets you feel are worth the money.

What do you do with the half of a clothespin for ironing? (wooden ironing thing)?

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    My new year's resolution: no more gadgets that are one use and collect dust. I will walk by all the gadget demos at quilt shows and not even stop to look and will never buy one online unless at least ten of you recommend it.

After all the money spent on gadgets, my favorite and most useful and cheapest are: Bamboo chopsticks (stilleto use and poking out corners after turning) and one half a spring clothespin ( wooden ironing thing).

Blog Entries
    My new bobbin cam! I'm a long armer! And was constantly having trouble with thread tension! The bobbin cam takes all the guess work out of the mix! There's a small flat screen that mounts on top of the machine so you are able to see the frame of work, and the micro camera( so stinking little it almost hurts)! Is mounted next to the needle on the underside of the machine. I'm having a second camera mounted to the right side of the needle, so I can watch in both directions! For more information look in the blog posts on the quilting board, and contact information. You will never be sorry!!!
    Live,Laugh,Love....make each day the very best it could be and don't forget to tell those you care for that you love them!
    MJ

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My all time favorite notion is "The Cutting Gizmo" from www.thegypsyquilter.com. It stand about 6" high and is plastic. In the middle at the top is a razor. This is for strip sewing. After I've done all my strip sewing, I lower the threads between the fabric pieces and it slices the threads apart. Perfect. I don't have to get out scissors or a rotary cutter. I put it to the left of my sewing machine and just turn my chair when I'm done sewing and cut them all apart. It's saves so much time.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

My vote is for the scapel blade seam ripper with replaceable blades, my Ott light, my needle threader for my serger, needle threader on my sewing machine, my brass stilletto, and last but not least is my needle trolley. By the way a needle trolley looks like a thimble with a needle soldered to it, it works like a stilletto but does not have to be picked-up and sat down like a stilleto. I would not have been able to complete my nephews dww quilt in time without it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am such a sucker. I just spent time at the link jcrow gave looking at all the"things" I might need. I do like the idea of the cutting Gizmo. Espically right now while I am making all these fluing geese.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    A pair of spring clamps from Home Depot. Clamp my ruler in place and no more slipping - even with the gripper dots!
    How do u use the clamps?

I am a fairly new quilter, have had problems sewing on bindings - I purchased the Binding ruler and completed binding 24 table runners and three quilts for Christmas - I LOVE this ruler.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I am with you on the kwik klip- my absolute favorite gadget!
    Saves the hands speeds up pinning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    I am a fairly new quilter, have had problems sewing on bindings - I purchased the Binding ruler and completed binding 24 table runners and three quilts for Christmas - I LOVE this ruler.
    What is this tool and where do you get it?
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

A pair of those cheap reading glasses sold in all the drug stores. LOL

I, too, would like to know what this is and where you found it. Are there any sites with pictures of this gadget?

I guess my favorite gadget would be my rotary cutter, so much more accurace cutting with it than a scissors. There are many others I wouldn't want to be without either, and some that haven't been all that great, that others love. Guess it is a matter of personal choice and use.

Everyone is talking about their seam ripper. I bought a Wahl battery operated tiny shaver at the Houston Quilt Show. It is the greatest gadget for ripping seams. It just zips down the middle in seconds. Such a time saver. I thought I was I little crazy for buying it , until I went to a retreat and others wanted to use it.

I like my homemade (cheap!) version of the Cutting Gizmo. Not my original idea. I read about it somewhere years ago. Just take a big spool, stand it on end and stick a seam ripper in the hole with the cutting end facing up. Really speeds up the task when I am cutting apart chain-pieced blocks.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Walking foot, I don't know how I ever lived without it
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    My favorite gadgets are the June Tailor slotted rulers, I just love them.
    Veronica

I make a mess when I quilt,everything is covered in threads and what ever else when quilting,the lint roller and micro
    dust cloth are a must ,to pickup and cleanup, the cutting table , ironing board,floor and myself.

d.swindle

Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    What binding ruler do you have? There are binding tools, rulers, and other binding tools that use the same description.
    Please share and a photo if you can.....we would all like to know.
    Thanks

I have so many favorites but I wouldnt live without my 6.5 in square ruler and my 6.5 by 24.5 inch ruler love the shaded half inch edge (favorite is Gingher)

How large is the Wahl battery operated trimmer....is it the nose trimmer? How do you use it...do you have to hold your two pieces of fabric taut and turn the trimmer a certain way to keep from cutting your fabric?
    Thanks
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by Denise S View Post
    What do you do with the half of a clothespin for ironing? (wooden ironing thing)?
    Eleanor Burns sells something called a wooden iron (I do believe it is Eleanor - I see her sitting there with her wooden iron...). This is a cheaper version. It is used to press seams, especailly good it you want to press them open. It saves having to jump up to the ironing board all the time. At the end the final pressing is done with the iron. I also use it to fold pack and "press" my paper when paper piecing so I can see where the seam is on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
    my rotary cutter with a side handle, it help my painful wrist tremendously, I bought it back east at a quilt show
    Oh please - what is the brand of your rotary cutter?

i use a hemostat when I tie a quilt. works great. My sons tease me and call it my roach clip. LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by euandca View Post
    How do u use the clamps?
    I place my cutting mat at the far left side of my cutting table. Line up my fabric and place rule at appropriate width. Clamp the ruler, top and bottom, again from the left side of the table with the clamp handles sticking out to the left. Ruler doesn't move. It's a bit tedious when doing many cuts but at least the ruler doesn't move and I don't have to constantly straighten the cutting edge from oopses with the ruler.

http://quiltersreview.com/index.php/...-on-the-wrist/
    This is a link to a review of the Martelli rotary cutter that is easier on the wrist.

Carolaug - I just googled this and it looks like something I'd like to buy. One question - you said "the seam ripper can rotate". I can't picture this, could you pls explain? Thanks. And if I buy it I promise not to send you the bill!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast