Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gadgets you feel are worth the money.

Blog Entries
    June Taylor's 12 in sq. drafting paper tablet. And thanks for the info about the new seam ripper. I just ordered one.

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Picnic tablecloth clips -- great for layering quilts on a large table.

I have that rotary cutter and it has a flaw. The rubber handle cover stretchs out and falls off all the time so have quit using it. It was great while it lasted.

I love the multi-colored clip-on pin backs I got many years ago. I was told that Joann's carried them, but my local one didn't have them. They, plus a slotted grapefruit spoon for raising up the pin point, are how I baste and still have nails.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    I am a fairly new quilter, have had problems sewing on bindings - I purchased the Binding ruler and completed binding 24 table runners and three quilts for Christmas - I LOVE this ruler.
    What binding tool and from where?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    I'm a fan of my June Taylor rulers, and wouldn't be caught sewing without my hemostats at my table. I have 2 pair - one from my nursing days (expensive) and one pair I got at a surplus store in the fishing department (very inexpensive). I use them for grabbing the bottom thread to pull it to the top, to hold a needle when changing it, to hold the thread when trying to thread the needle of my sewing machine that doesn't have the automatic threader, for pulling a needle through stubborn fabric, for pulling small thread bits out of a seam, and the list goes on. I've also used them to hold a small piece of batting to dust out the bobbin area. To quote a hotsauce commercial -- I use that **** on everything lol.
    I have no idea what hemostats are, please explain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    I'm a fan of my June Taylor rulers, and wouldn't be caught sewing without my hemostats at my table. I have 2 pair - one from my nursing days (expensive) and one pair I got at a surplus store in the fishing department (very inexpensive). I use them for grabbing the bottom thread to pull it to the top, to hold a needle when changing it, to hold the thread when trying to thread the needle of my sewing machine that doesn't have the automatic threader, for pulling a needle through stubborn fabric, for pulling small thread bits out of a seam, and the list goes on. I've also used them to hold a small piece of batting to dust out the bobbin area. To quote a hotsauce commercial -- I use that **** on everything lol.
    I have never heard of a hemostat. Please explain

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    A glass of dry white wine after another 'ripping' session.
    LOL....................Still giggling........
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...D222C12B01.png
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Gadgets I could not do without are: A set of squares 2 1/2, 3 1/2 & 4 1/2 and the 6 1/2 square. I'm having to learn how to do with out my 2 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch ruler. I've looked everywhere for a replacement with no luck. The closest is a 2 1/2 by 18 inches. The longer ruler is a little awkward at times, but there are times when the longer length is useful. I 'd still like one that is a foot long, or a little shorter. My neighbor has told me to cut the longer one off to the desired length, but I don't want to do that.
    Happy quilting Grandma

The Wahl is one inch wide and about four inches long.Lay it flat on a table and hold the top piece taut. I did a lot of ripping and only snipped once. Just be careful is the answer. It was easy to just zip and not pay close attention.

I love my magnetic pin cushions- one for the table and one for my wrist. I use the purple thang and my thread snippers a lot. Rotary cutters and a good ruler- love, love love.

June Taylor Fray block goes on wet and dries without showing. The fabric looks and feels the same as it did before you put the stuff on it. With the Fray Check, I've found that it leaves a shiny surface where it is used. I think it sometimes leaves a hard finish on the fabric.

Hemostats are what they use when putting stitches in your skin during an operation and also for sewing up wounds. Fishermen use them when they tie their fishing hooks. They look like long tweezers with scissor handles, but just with just 2 little thumb and finger holes, not the larger ones for more fingers to fit in. Does this make sense?

The things I really like to take with me when I travel and take my machine anywhere and also have near the machine at home is my June Taylor Cut & Press and a small travel iron that has a handle that folds down. The iron also is a steam iron and can shoot steam if I wish. A very handy little iron.
    Last edited by Janis; 01-04-2012 at 08:56 PM.

accuquilt go
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Oh please - what is the brand of your rotary cutter?
    Martelli Ergonomic Rotary Cutters & Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    My favorite gadgets are the June Tailor slotted rulers, I just love them.
    I too love these they are great

My grace hand control which is a substitute for my foot control. No more back pain.

Creative Grids rulers/sqaures and a rotary cutter. If I had to pick only one it would be the 6 1/2 X 24 1/2. I use it all the time. No more slipping. No sand paper discs and I can see through them completely. I considered throwing away the JT stuff I had. Right now it is buried in a cabinet.

Two things that come to mind are my 1" X 6" Omnigrid ruler and my 4" Gingher scissors. I know these are favorites because I have three of the rulers and four pairs of the scissors! I have them at my machine, my cutting table, and in my "Go Bag".
    Of course, I have a lot of other things, some of which I use quite a bit, and a lot I use occasionally, and a few of which I have never used. I know I'm not alone in this boat!!! I do love gadgets
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

I LOVE my Add-A-Quarter and Add-A-Eighth rulers (CM Designs).

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a Fiskars® Softouch Rotary Cutter - 45mm??? It features spring-action safety feature, two position-safety lock, hassle-free blade change, soft contoured handle, handle loop, and cuts multiple layers. I love this cutter, and Fiskars has stopped making it. I need to replace mine and they don't have them anywhere. Its so hard to adjust to a different cutter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
    What binding tool and from where?
    This is the one I use and love it. Bindings work out great.
    http://www.missouriquiltco.com/the-b...u-tqmbt-m.html

If you do a lot of chain stitching, you will LOVE "The Cutting Gizmo". Everyone who has tried mine ends up getting one for themselves. It's a small purple "stand" (about 4" x 2" and 5" high) that has a razor indented in the top. After you are done chaining, you just slide the chained pieces through the razor to separate them. SO MUCH FASTER than using scissors! I bought mine at a local quilt shop but they are available at www.thegypsyquilter.com for $14. Just do a search for "gizmo". Enjoy!!!!
    Jackie

Blog Entries
    I love the tool that helps pin the quilt for quilting, too. My favorite tool is my rotary cutter. Love it. Nothing unusual. I am just old enough to remember when they were not around and we cut everything. They were never so straight or accurate.

I went to a quilt store hop a couple of years ago. Just for going into this one store, they gave us all a 6" x 3" ruler. It had their advertising info on it, but who cares? I use it at the sewing table for quick measurements. It is wonderful and very handy.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jacqstash View Post
    If you do a lot of chain stitching, you will LOVE "The Cutting Gizmo". Everyone who has tried mine ends up getting one for themselves.
    I'm suprised to see this. I saw that in a catalog and thought "man, that's a uni-tasker space taker upper for sure!".

Now I'll have to see if someone has one I can try. Right now I just use the thread cutter blade on the side of my machine. Definetly quicker than scissors.

Blog Entries
    The seam ripper rotates so that you can pull the seams by putting the ripper on its side but the handle you had is straight. its hand to explain but its awesome...I find the light is also very helpful. I have been making a drunkards path quilt and my seam ripper and I are becoming very close friends.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast