Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Games for a Quilt Retreat

I am one of the girls in charge of games for our 3-day quilt retreat coming up in September 2008.

Does anyone know some cute quilt related games that we can play in between our quilting sessions?

Patty Peabody

Hi Dear Kitty:

Thank you for your post. Do you know any games that I could use at our retreat?

Put quilting items in a box that closes, put an opening in the side for the people to reach in and identify the item in the box. Winner is the person with the most right.
    Guess the names of the traditional patterns.
    If there is enough time, send out material and everyone make a block and then guess who made the block. Use numbers to identify the blocks. or send out pattern and guess which block people made by the fabric they used. Then blocks can be put together and top is doorprize
    If you want activity who can add wonder under and cut out an applique the fastest, neatest, etc
    Use small items for prizes,
    Find antique items and/pictures and people have to guess what they are and what they were used for. Start with spinning wheel.
    Make up crossword puzzle and find-a-word game to let people work on over the 3 days.
    find fabric with a name and put the name with the fabric.

We had a scavenger hunt at ours it lasted the time we were there.
    We also played the find a word puzzle.
    there is quilt-o. it is like bingo.
    Those gals pay alot of money to go on the retreat, and they take alot of stuff they want to get done in the 3 days, so go lightly on the games they won't mind.

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I have copied them all down and now I have something to present to the committee.
    I really appreciate your input.

Bingo for quarters!! The fun secret is you will have a 'white elephant' one put in the group on purpose. You have everyone bring 2 fat quarters and put in a decorated sack, bag, or box. Tell then to make it very appealing in the wrapping. Then all are set on the table...then the bingo starts (can use quilt pics or themes on the bingo paper) then call out and have everyone understand there is NO clearing their boards..so the game goes quick. When someone wins bingo...they go pick out their package..do not open it. It sits w/them in front of them...then the next person(s) bingo..they have the choice to take the already won package or get a new one..again, no one opens. If the person loses her package, she/he picks another one. Make sure the white elephant is elegantly wrapped! Once all have a package in front of them...then they can open them...then the bingo continues...and now they can trade on their win of bingo for different quarters...once the quarters have been opened and traded twice..they can stay where put. If that person is the one that retrieved them. Of course everyone will want to get rid of the uglllly white elephant...it will be like a hot potato! What they don't know...is the one that ends up w/the ugly...will actually get a really nice fat quarter selection...maybe make it pretty of 4 quarters instead of the 2...:))It is really fun and funny!! You will see really quiet and nice people get wild!:))LOL
    A good white elephant would be an old poly fabric w/tube paint painted on it...:))Real ugly...

another fun one is to buy the sticker stars (at walmart, etc) and give everyone a sheet or two...then tell them they are the quiltoskito (misquito) and they are to put their bites all over people all during the retreat, etc...for the day. Only they are to bite w/their stickers and try not to be noticed doing it. It's great fun and funny to see people walking around w/stickers all over them and they are really not aware of how many they have been zapped with...then surprise them at the end of the day w/a small gift for the one that seems to have the most 'sugar' or they wouldn't have been bit as much:))You can come up w/a different variation of this...but, it is really fun and keeps things alive and exciting!:0)

Okay...I'll stop after this:))Why not have a garage sale that is a type of barter....have some patterns, etc put out for a trade for equal trade. Put up a 'dumb proof directions' in the area..They can bring in old patterns of not interest...books, or mags (you decide) and they trade the one they don't want for the one they do....this can be an area set up that can go on all 3 days...needs no supervision...and what a fun way to trade out of things you bought 10yrs ago and don't want anymore...but, someone else just might!:))
    I took to our local quilt group a basket full of goodies that I acquired as gifts, etc for several years...I went home w/an empty basket. Even though I didn't care to have a book on how to make slacks...another woman was thrilled to have it. It's the same thinking and who doesn't like a treasure??:0)Only this way it is a trade for a trade:))

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    one thing we do on our quilt retreat is to have "Secret Sisters". It is not mandatory, but each quilter who wants to participate brings in 4 or 5 small gifts that they will then give to their Secret Sister throughout the retreat, secretly of course!

Each person who participates puts their name in a hat and then everyone draws a name, and that person is your secret sister. The items don't have to be quilting related, but usually they are. One item given on the last retreat was a whoopie cushion and it was given to our 78 year old quilter! It was hysterical!

We also usually have a puzzle set out, a quilt show where everyone brings in an item they have completed the previous year and we hang them up down the hallway, and we also have show 'n tell at the end of the retreat to show off what was completed that weekend and to reveal the secret sisters.

Have fun!

Those all sound so fun - I want to go on a retreat!!!

All the games sound GREAT. Thanks.
    Patty

I just scanned thru some of the backlogged material and found some neat games submitted by bj9patch that I am going to use and some of the other quilters back in 2006. Wow - this is such a neat web site. Thanks.

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    another fun one is to buy the sticker stars (at walmart, etc) and give everyone a sheet or two...then tell them they are the quiltoskito (misquito) and they are to put their bites all over people all during the retreat, etc...for the day. Only they are to bite w/their stickers and try not to be noticed doing it. It's great fun and funny to see people walking around w/stickers all over them and they are really not aware of how many they have been zapped with...then surprise them at the end of the day w/a small gift for the one that seems to have the most 'sugar' or they wouldn't have been bit as much:))You can come up w/a different variation of this...but, it is really fun and keeps things alive and exciting!:0)
    Oh Skeat, I love this idea!! I may have to suggest this for my retreat!!!! How absolutely hysterical! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steph...it is really funny!! For people are serious in their work and they will hold something up to talk to you about it, etc w/a serious face and all over them are these stickers!:))They have no idea and if you ask they will tell you they have a few...:))Only there are 50!:))It's hard not to crack up!:))

Games that we play at my retreats are: Right - Left - Center. Each person begins with 3 FQs. Google to find a place to buy the dice and read the rules.

This site offers some fun word searches and crossword puzzles: http://www.quiltcampus.net/Library/P...gs/index.html.

We also play Farkle (another dice game....no skill involved!) Again, google to find the directions. No special dice are needed, however, you do need 6 die to play.

We also do a daily quarter jar: One day, it may be cussing. Every time you do it, you owe a quarter into the jar. The first time you 'ante up', and ONLY the first time, you put your name on a slip of paper. The next morning, 1 name is drawn to win the pot. The next day, we do a ripping jar. Same concept....this one can get EXPENSIVE!!! The winner always gets a huge stack of quarters.

The place where we go has Sirius/XM radio. We pick a station we all have a chance at knowing the songs on. One person who's on a 'break' will watch the receiver that displays the song/artist title. As soon as a new song comes on, we yell out the information. Bonus: sometimes they display the YEAR too! This is just a non-monetary fun game.

As we all know, quilters like to collect "stuff" we never get a chance at using. Patterns, gadgets, fabric, whatever. It is nice when you can all donate 1-2 items to make up a "treasure chest" for whoever wins the word searches, etc.

The goal of the retreat is never to be a financial burden to attend. I feel that each gal brining 1-2 donated items, 3 FQs to play RLC and about $5 in quarters shouldn't break anyones bank. Of course, list the games as OPTIONAL, that way, if someone is experiencing financial difficulty, they can bow out gracefully (or, if you're in the position, you can float them what they need to pay, with the "catch" being if you friend wins with your donated stuff, you split it 50/50)

I make my own word search games in the computer spread sheet. You could give prizes for whomever finds all the words first, and who finds the hardest one.

There's nothing wrong with classics like Charades, Trivial Pursuit, even Pictionary.

And I seldom hear of people playing Botticelli, but just think, you can play this and quilt at the same time. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botticelli_(game)

Bingo for quarters!! The fun secret is you will have a 'white elephant' one put in the group on purpose. A good white elephant would be an old poly fabric w/tube paint painted on it...:))Real ugly...
    I really seriously hate getting stuck with trash to amuse other people.

We play dirty santa bingo every year for our Christmas party but all the prizes are nice stuff that anybody might want.

Our rules, when you bingo you get to pick fat quarters or one of the bagged gifts. If you choose a gift then you open the gift and leave it on the front of your table. The next person that bingos can choose your gift or a new gift. A gift can only be stolen twice and we bingo three times before cleaning off the cards and starting over. We always use M&Ms to cover the numbers so the cards can be used over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    Oh Skeat, I love this idea!! I may have to suggest this for my retreat!!!! How absolutely hysterical! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is! To see so many stickers on a person and the places they sneak them w/o them really knowing!LOL It is real funny!LOL Skeat

Ask each person to send you a one line statement about something that no one else knows. Make a list of these (without the names) on one sheet of paper, distribute a copy to each person, and ask the ladies to guess who each of these belongs to. One lady in our group had actually walked on burning coals, and one had been a demolition derby driver!!!! They can go around asking questions to try and figure it out, but the only question you couldn't ask was "which one is yours?" The person who gets the most right wins a prize.

Have you ever done a "Wright Family" exchange? Everyone stands in a circle, and each person starts out holding a fat quarter (or it could be a quilting item with a set value). One person reads the story, and as the word "right (or Wright)" or "left" is read, everyone passes the item they are holding in the correct direction. It is amazing how many adults get confused about which direction is right and left . When the story ends, the person gets to keep the fat quarter or item they are holding. No one has ever complained about what they end up with.

If you would like a copy of The Thanksgiving Cookies, which you can use as a start for your own Wright Family story, PM me and I will send you a copy.

(Have you ever done a "Wright Family" exchange? Everyone stands in a circle, and each person starts out holding a fat quarter (or it could be a quilting item with a set value). One person reads the story, and as the word "right (or Wright)" or "left" is read, everyone passes the item they are holding in the correct direction. It is amazing how many adults get confused about which direction is right and left <LOL>. When the story ends, the person gets to keep the fat quarter or item they are holding. No one has ever complained about what they end up with. )

That is a great idea too! What fun! I bet it gets alot of laughs too! Love all the ideas coming in...it is just proof we are all a bunch of fun!LOL

(I really seriously hate getting stuck with trash to amuse other people.).[/quote]

Scissor queen...I guess you missed a sentence in your reading..."Of course everyone will want to get rid of the uglllly white elephant...it will be like a hot potato! What they don't know...is the one that ends up w/the ugly...will actually get a really nice fat quarter selection...maybe make it pretty of 4 quarters instead of the 2..."

See the part that says 'what they don't know......'? The person that gets the ugly white elephant actually gets a 'better' prize then the others! Hope that helps:)Skeat

could you please send me the Thanksgiving Cookies story? My email is [email protected]