Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gett'en out that " nasty old" smell

I mentioned this earlier---if you have a salad spinner you can wash almost anything very gently with out tearing it up---mine has a bowl that hold the liquid but some drain always ---just put it in the sink and wash away---no thread tangling ---there is no cycle gentle enough to do what this will do---can also wash charn packs and jelly rolls this way

Me too! I am buying some TODAY.
    Michelle G.
    El Paso, Texas

I would put them in a tub where you can separate them a bit and then in a small glass or bowl put baking soda and let set for a few days you could also try vinegar in the same manner

Blog Entries
    I don't know how or if this really works but I recall that truckers who drove "refers" (refrigerator trucks) that after unloading their meat cargo used vanilla in the refer to freshen them. As I said, I don't know for sure. Just heard this from the truckers. That must have taken a lot of vanilla because those things are BIG.

I probably wouldn't wash the blocks until they were assembled and quilted, and then I would wash with a quarter or half-cup of ammonia in the wash water. The ammonia smell doesn't last very long and I've never had it damage any fabric or dye. It's a good mildecide/mold killer and odor eliminator and it's a super cleaner of oily stains like you'd get from nicotine.

If the smell is really horrendous and you can't even deal with it long enough to put them together (I had a quilt top like that, once - ugh!) I would dip them into a solution of water and a small amount of ammonia and lay them to dry flat, handling them as little as possible.

When they're nearly dry, spray them with starch and press them square and flat. There should be no odor left in them and they'll be as nice to work with as fresh new fabric. :)

I would not have known what to do either, so thanx all you great quilters for the new tips. Have to have some of those insoles right away

I have used unwrapped safeguard soap with fabric in a sealed bag for several days. Worked great for me. Lots of luck. Ruth

Blog Entries
    wow, thanks everyone, i hae blocks i hade by hand over 20 yrs ago, in a plastic(duh) bag just found them after being in a basement for all that time, my eyes are even burning, was gonna trash thaem, you might have saved me.

Put a tad of bleach in water than add cloth works every time.

I would simply soak them in mild detergent or oxy-clean, then rinse in a light vinegar solution. Don't let them aggitate or you will have a major mess. Let them tumble in the dryer on low heat for a few minutes, then lay them out and press them if needed.

I've been told that shaving a bar of Irish Spring and having that in with the material, maybe wrapped in acid free paper, will help with musty and nasty odors.

That was what I was told to do with my FW case as it really smells. It is in my garage.

ali

after I assemble the quilt I use borax and just a little oxy clean in a soak setting in the washer and let it set for a couple of hours and then gentle wash and then I put in the dryer. I haven't had any odors return when I use this method. I am fairly new to quilting so I am not sure if this is an acceptable method or not.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    My 88 yr. old aunt just sent me some hand embroidered pillow cases & crocheted doilies that her mom/my grandmother made. I stacked the doilies with a few fabric softener sheets between some layers. I seems to be working as the pile is sitting on my kitchen table & I don't get the smell that I had when 1st opening the box.
    I have used fabric sheets to get the smell out of everything that has a bad smell around the house. It works every time, even if someone gives me something with a smoky smell, and that's the worst! And the good news is that I use the used ones! Yes, I mean the ones that have been used for their original purpose a couple of times. They work just as well. I buy the sheets that have no perfumes because DH is allergic to the others. I keep the grandkids sneakers stuffed with them (I never throw one away after use in the dryer) and the odors are gone in a day or two. Even DH's nasty old running shoes. Try them!!

8-)

Bev
    One thing more I forgot to mention, if you have musty old books around, put a used dryer sheet between every ten pages or so. The smell will just disappear in a few days. 8-)

hey girls newspaper will get the odor out just wad it up and put in air tight bag for a week or so. do not get newspaper ink on your squares. it also works on feather weight sewing machines and their boxes.

I have used coffee grounds in an old sock or some sort of fabric bag - the grounds can be fresh out of the can or dry out used grounds. It may take awhile, but it works!!

Fabreeze and fresh air did the trick for me on some beautiful fabric that had been stored for way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Marge L.
    I don't know how or if this really works but I recall that truckers who drove "refers" (refrigerator trucks) that after unloading their meat cargo used vanilla in the refer to freshen them. As I said, I don't know for sure. Just heard this from the truckers. That must have taken a lot of vanilla because those things are BIG.
    I always use vanilla and also put bicarb soda in the fridge to absorb smells.A little water added to form a paste gets rid of fat on the stove when cleaning as well.

Blog Entries
    A clothes line, sunny, breezy day and fabreeze. Even workes of cigarette smoke.

Fabreze and fresh air for me!

I used vinager and softner on gentle cycle or hand wash cycle.

this is strange that you ask this question, before i came on to check my email , i was reading some helpful tips, and someone wrote in and said they had some old clothes that had a musty smell to them , the editor wrote back and said that if you buy some Vodka , put it in a srpay bottle and spray the clothes , hang them out to air the smell will go away !!

Quote Originally Posted by penski
    this is strange that you ask this question, before i came on to check my email , i was reading some helpful tips, and someone wrote in and said they had some old clothes that had a musty smell to them , the editor wrote back and said that if you buy some Vodka , put it in a srpay bottle and spray the clothes , hang them out to air the smell will go away !!
    i forgot to add that there is something in the vodka that takes the smell out

Blog Entries
    I found an old panel that I had left in a box where the box actually had mold inside and out. Luckily, none on the fabric. I washed it and the smell was worse because it smelled like mildew and laundry detergent. Left to hang and dry and it smells fine now. Beware the cats though. Pumpkin slept on a pile of fabric that had that smell (it was waiting to be washed) and my cat smelled like cat and mildew! ROFL...don't know which smell I like least...hehe!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Charcoal absorbs bad odors. I would purchase a couple pair of the charcoal OdorEaters brand of shoe insoles and close them off together in a clean bin or closed garbage bag for a couple of weeks.

In my opinion, it is very risky to try to wash blocks (or an unquilted top) without first basting them to a foundation fabric. You can end up with a distorted mess, even if you hand wash.

You really need something that absorbs odor, not something that masks odor. My featherweight machine's case had a terrible musty smell in it. Tried a dryer sheet, tried soap -- everything seemed to just add a different odor. Fresh air and sunshine did not help enough either. The charcoal OdorEaters insoles finally did the job.
    Thanks Prism!! I will have to get some for my FW case :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast