Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!! >

GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 AM

That is similar to the one that i have - mine is wooden and i got it at a quilt show about 20 yrs ago, can't find one online that is similar...but it is the perfect size because it doesn't take up very much space in a room.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:23 AM

Wow! how beautiful!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:04 AM

ckcowl:

Sorry I did not go into more detail. I learned to hand quilt about 6 months ago from a senior member of my quilt guild. I practiced my stitches over and over. My senior friend says my stitching is better than hers.

I purchased a Roxanne thimble and using the rocking motion. My stitches are very consistent.

The problem I am having is this quilt top is so big. I have tried folding it into small sections. I sit on the couch and listen to TV while I hand quilt. The top just seems to get away from me that is why I was thinking a quilt frame would be easier.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 AM

Your quilt is beautiful!!!!

I have the Grace Frame that you mentioned. I bought it thinking that it would be easier to use than a hoop on a large quilt I am planning to make. (about the same size as yours) First of all, this frame is BIG! For your quilt you would need about 10' of floor space to set up in, and expect to leave it up the entire time you are quilting. My original plan was to set it up in my living room, but that idea was squashed when I realized the time and space involved. So....I devoted an entire room just for the frame, and began with a crib sized quilt just to see how it went.

The frame assembly is a BEAR! You will need to be pretty good with tools and following directions precisely. I spent about 12 hours on the assembly, and needed my husband's help on the final part, since it was just too large for one person to handle. I assembled it in the King size, then had to disassemble, and reassemble into the crib size when I changed my mind on the quilt I was making. Geesh! There went another several hours!!

There are You-Tube videos explaining the process of putting the layers onto the frame....top...bunting....and backing. Again, follow these instructions precisely! I think this must be where I screwed up, as my top does not perfectly align flat onto the other 2 layers.

I am almost finished hand stitching this little quilt, and it is precious, but I do not think it is the best plan for a quilt this size...the hoop would have probably been easier. However! I do plan to use the frame for the king quilt I am assembling. Like you, I am worried about the fabric shifting, the heavy weight of the quilt on my as I sew (maybe this should be a winter project!!) , and the hoops stretching my fabric. At this point I am undecided. And frustrated to say the least. I had hoped the Grace Frame was going to be the answer, and maybe I need more time and experience on the frame to get used to it, in all fairness.

I know this does not answer your question, but it may give you some insight to what you are up against if you buy a Grace Frame. Below is a photo of the frame assembled for a king size quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]347252[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 044.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 AM

Pattylynn

Thanks for the post. You are right, a king size quilt is heavy and cumbersome in your lap. You are right about quilting it in the winter!! My problem is that I need to finish it for our 2013 quilt show so I can enter it. I was thinking about a smaller floor quilt frame. I was looking at the Ulmer floor quilt frame. Some good reviews. It is small but sturdy and can fold for easy storage. It costs around $250. Hate to buy something I might not like. My birthday is this month and I may ask my hubby to buy it for me!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Please keep us posted as to how you proceed. I am interested in learning from your experience.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Beautiful!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM

I love this. I have the material to start one but wonder if I will ever have the courage to start it.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM

This quilt is beautiful. You are doing a great job.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM

How beautiful! I want to own one, not sure I will have the patience to make one! My hat is off to you!