Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

It is sew beautiful! I've been thinking about starting one, along with 100 other ones! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

i am hand quilting a queen. i use a Qsnap lap frame but i spread the rest of the quilt out on the coffee table in front of me. Helps with the weight so the quilt doesn't drag against the frame. And it is pin basted every 3 inches or so, i remove the pins as i put that part of the quilt in the frame. start from middle and work out.

Beautiful, beautiful quilt!

Several years ago, a friend and I were travelling back from a Quilt show in Nashville, Tn. We were on I 65 and saw a flea market. Being scavengers (sp) we both wanted to stop. I cannot remember where it was in TN, but it may not be there anymore anyway. Long story short we found many very interesing country booths with crafts and home made objects. Lo and Behold, what do we spot but a small LQS building RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of this flea market. It was so nice we had a great time. Material was inexpensive and of good quality. And, as I entered the building, I spotted a large quilting hoop on a stand measuring 28" x 18" (oval). Being new at quilting, I was so excited to spot it and even though it was used, it was in great shape. I liked to fell on the floor when I saw the price on it. I snatched it right up when I saw $10.00. I just love it and think it was one of the greatest bargains I have found.

What a wonderful collection of colors. Love that quilt.

Blog Entries
    What a great quilt. The very best of luck to you.
    Nana of 1 E and 2 G's

I bought one of the PVC ones at JoAnn recently (50% off) and it works much better for me than the hoop I had been using.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful! the quilting will really make the flowers pop. I used the Hintenburg hoop,18",floor stand. It wanted to topple over so I had to rest some of the quilt on a chair. I though I would want the 24" but then realized 18" was just ling enough for my arm to reach. I also had to sit on edge of couch to reach hoop,I think I would use a lap hoop next time or some people don't even use hoops to hand quilt. Just some things to consider when hoop or frame shopping.
    Celia

Blog Entries
    Name:  Grandmother's Flower Garden Finished.JPG
Views: 2714
Size:  137.8 KBName:  Hand Quilting Grandmother's Flower Garden Sep 2010.JPG
Views: 2564
Size:  171.7 KB
    Your GFG is gorgeous! I just love that pattern because each and every one is unique. I've only been quilting about 3 years, but I hand pieced and hand quilted my queen size. I sent it to be Long Arm Quilted, but she refused to do it. She said since it was entirely made by hand it needed to be hand quilted -- something I had never done! She lent me her wooden quilting frame and I got it hand quilted! I've never used a hoop so I can't compare them, but the wooden frame worked out very well for me.

Blog Entries
    I love my q-frame. I have quilted 2 or 3 on it. I also learned to not keep your quilt too tight in the frame. It's easier to have it looser.

I love the pattern grandmothers flower garden - I have one- my mother-in-law made it, and that year each one of the kids got a quilt for christmas-the quilts were numbered and, put in a bag- then a number was put in a hat corsonding with the quilt number, the spouse of the child got to draw a number from the hat-that was the quilt you got-so thankful to have gotten the grandmothers flower garden.

I had the same problem with a queen size quilt! I use a lap hoop that is in a stand so I can use both hands to quilt. I love it. However the queen size had so much to move when I turned the quilt. I never quilted it in the summer!

So I bought a Grace2 hand quilting frame. It's great! It keeps the quilt off of your lap and the frame swivels so you don't have to deal with the bulk.

Here's a link to the site. It's expensive. I found mine here on the board for sale. I got it for $150. Perhaps you can find one used through Craigslist or...?

It came with the largest hoop which didn't work for my style of quilting. I bought the 14" one. If you did find one and wanted a large hoop, I would send you mine.

http://graceframe.com/site/hoops/hoop2
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

I originally planned to get my grandmothers quilt frames from my elderly aunt, but discovered they were not in the rafters of her shed as she thought. So I did some research and purchased Vonda's Quilt Frames. What a joy to use. You can view a video on YouTube or on line. I can set the quilt up all by myself in no time at all. The frames live in a nice box with a carry handle, so can be stored in a closet or under the bed when not in use. I can make anywhere from a baby size to a king size quilt with these frames. I set the frames up to straddle the bed in my guest room, so space is not a problem. I set the backing on the frames, lay out the batting, then put the top on. I do go ahead and place pins around here and there to baste, although this isn't strictly necessary. I love, love, love these frames.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2