Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Giving some serious consideration to hand piecing/quilting

Blog Entries
    It is not necessary to iron hand piecing. In fact, when Jinny Beyer irons her hand-pieced tops she doesn't pay any attention to which way the seam allowances fall! She just irons from the right side and that's it. (At least in the video I borrowed from the library years ago where she demonstrated her hand piecing techniques.)

Blog Entries
    I just started a class at the local high school on hand quilting. I love it so far. only made 2 squares but it is relaxing and when each square is done you have a good feeling like evey hand stitch is a little more love going into this quilt. We are even making out own templates and only hand sewing. No rotary cutting either only scissors.

I got my Grandmothers Flower Garden done by english paper piecing while watching Tv going to appts. etc. Hand piecing and quilting is very relaxing however I now do everything by machine cause arthritis has taken over .

I totally agree with PenniF. I keep my piecing/quilting beside my chair. I can pick it up and do as little or as much as I want to do without a lot of prep time. It becomes an enjoyment rather than "I don't really have time to set up the machine, etc." It's more relaxing to me when it's not a lot of trouble. Just enjoy the process and don't make it a chore! I also take the time to mark the 1/4 inch seam because that makes the piecing much easier. I also quilt around each block just about 1/8 inch (more or less) from the seam. I don't mark those, though.

I also love hand piecing. It is very relaxing for me. I do English paper piecing and regular piecing. Progress is slow but I'm not into quilting as a competition to get things finished. I know I will never complete some projects and others get put aside when I'm bored and pulled out at a later time. Like other quilters I have my UFO's and my To Do list.

Blog Entries
    My mom knits and hand quilts while watching TV. It's amazing how much she gets done. Good luck to you as you try it out!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I am trying to get a ton of stuff ready for a fall craft show and I have to make use of every second of my time. I have carefully plotted my projects so that at any given moment I have machine-ready piece (piecing, machine quilting) and a hand-ready piece (applique, binding, burying thread ends from machine quilting (which takes me far longer than it probably should - anyone have any suggestions on that one?), design work with paper and pencil, hand embroidery). This way when someone calls on the phone when I am using my machine I can just switch to a hand project, or when watching TV or listening to a good radio show. I like the feeling of always having a little something to work on...

Alison

I try to machine during the day and hand work at night. In general, I'm doing a top, usually mornings and hand quilt at night. BUT I force myself to stay with just 2 projects at a time. I must finish one before I can move on to the next.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by alderdweller View Post
    After further thought, I've decided we limit ourselves so much. Why in the world can't I do both? For whatever reason, it never occurred to me that I can have the best of both worlds.
    After all the years of working outside the home, raising children and having to schedule time for myself, I am finding it hard to adjust to all this extra time. Amazing how circumstances change, and I have to remind myself, my schedule (as in none) is different now. I no longer have time restraints. Actually kinda makes me melancholy....
    I agree I have two quilts I am in the process of handquilting but I am also working on some lapquilt that will be completely machine sewn and machine quilted. I still do have some time restictions but I am looking forward to not having them.

My first few quilts were hand pieced and hand quilted back in the 80's . I took my first class from an old school teacher. Personally I think everyone should do at least one. The reason being It shows you how the peices go together one at a time. I can look at most quilts (when my oldhiemers isn't working) and know how they are put together. I feel if I only did strip piecing I wouldn't be able too. Maybe some can not me. And the look is different than machine down too. I use to sit and watch tv and hand quilt and hand piece. I got quite a bit done.

Blog Entries
    I have sewed for many years and just started quilting about 4 years ago. I enjoy hand sewing the binding on and decided to try making a quilt by hand. I am now working in making a grandmother's flower garden quilt with 1 /12 inch hexagons. I have all my flowers made and now am working hand sewing them all together and have almost half done.

I was able to take a small tote with me most everywhere and work on my hexagons. No more wasted time watching TV. And the time waiting on DD to get out of school and practice passed very quickly.
    Sherri

Blog Entries
    I had the same problem when I was first Retired. There had to be a "system." So, this is how I did it, and it really works! When I have finished quilting in the afternoons that I really quilt, I get some piece ready to do/finish by hand. Then in the aft. or eve. when I don't care if I watch tv or not while quilting, I go to the sewing room and use the machine. That really works!
    If I want to machine sew in the eve. while watching tv with DH, I use the featherweight, which stays set up at all times.
    This has really helped me get more done and enjoy it more.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

I am just getting ready to make up some kits for hand quilting. I can no longer sit in front of a SM for long at a time; must think again of hand work. I, too, mark my 1/4" seam line. It surely helps when piecing. Go for it.

Blog Entries
    This is the reason I make "quilt as you go" quilts. The pieces can go with me and fill in areas of waiting time.

Blog Entries
    The quilt police be ignored:I hand quilt sections of my quilt where it is easily seen..I machine sections where design is buried Ianthe fabric pattern. Some of both lets me actually get a quilt done (which is better than perfect).

Blog Entries
    When the mood strikes I hand piece and handquilt. I love Inklingo for hand piecing and I've been using it for machine piecing too. The Inklingo will be in Hunter Star pattern soon!
    Got fabric?

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have thought about hand quilting but I'm not sure my hands will let me do it but I am inspired to at least try. I have the same problems with managing my time. I don't know how I got things done when I worked because I can't seem to now. I must need structure (which is funny because at work I was on my own to set my schedule and get my work done on time). This summer we moved to a house where I had a sewing room and I found I didn't like going there because I felt away from everyone. So I took over most of the dining room and I'm getting more done.

I hope you get started whether it be handpiecing/quilting or going with machine piecing/quilting. I love hand work and machine work. Just depends on my mood, I guess. Enjoy--

I love hand sewing, but I also love my sewing machine. So as alderweller said, "Why in the world can't I do both." There is something about hand sewing that is restorative for me. When I finish a project that I hand sewed I feel like I have really created something. There are so many things that I can do with my machine that I wouldn't tackle by hand, but just sewing the binding on a quilt is fulfilling. I'd really like to get better at hand quilting and I have Jinny Beyer's book so...
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Blog Entries
    I love the look of handquilted items, and find that I am more proud of those projects than the ones I do on the machine. In all fairness, the quilts I have made by machine have to endure more everyday wear and tear...definitely the way to go for them. Most evenings my family gathers to watch shows on TV and I find that I get quite a bit accomplished by hand piecing/quilting. Also very practical for road trips or waiting in offices for appointments! With our busy lives these days, a lot of people want it done "yesterday" and machine sewing is the answer in those cases. However, I think doing projects by hand keeps a dying technique alive and helps us to truly appreciate what past quilters accomplished long long ago.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2