GLUE

Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM

I use glue for applique and also putting bindings on. It is great for bindings because I machine sew the front, turn, glue and press and hand sew the back edge down. It stays perfectly in place until finished and washed. It allows me to sit with the quilt across my lap and not get jabbed and also not have to worry about getting my fingers raked by the pins. Since discovering this method I haven't used pins again. Ann in TN
Old 05-01-2011, 12:59 PM

I just watched the video about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't believe how much easier her method is. I am constantly sticking myself with pins and I tried the glue method. What a difference.
I went out and got the Elmer's Washable school glue. Then I thought, if you can do that with glue, how about lining up the squares and sewing patches together? I am happy to report it works wonderfully. I am now sharing this with my quilting group. Terrific idea!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Ok two things to say...
First
In 2nd grade I was using glue paste and will even (oh I'm so ashamed) admit to eating it. Thankfully now I can use it without the need to have a taste.
Second
Where can I get the applicator tip that Sharon Schamers used in her video?
Mikki
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell
I have use washable glue at times with my applique, but never on my seams.
Do you keep the glue inside away from the sewn edge to keep any of it from getting in your machine?
you don't need to worry about the edges really. when i do my bindings, i just do a thin line and then press it in place. i have never had a problem with any glue getting on/in my machine. been using school glue sticks for years,on fabrics,wether it be for strip/string quilts or applique.
i only started using the liquid school glue a few years ago, for my bindings.
ALL of it washes out..i always wash my quilts before they leave the house.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Every one is different and has different methods for doing things. No one method is right or wrong, just different
I agree with statement above. Some things work better for people and we all share our ideas - you don't have to use them
Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by edensgaite
Ok two things to say...
First
In 2nd grade I was using glue paste and will even (oh I'm so ashamed) admit to eating it. Thankfully now I can use it without the need to have a taste.
Second
Where can I get the applicator tip that Sharon Schamers used in her video?
Mikki
didn't she use the tip off a mechanical pencil?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:52 PM

I started sewing clothes years ago 50 plus. When my husband was stationed in Okinawa I went to a school that taught how to pattern draft clothes without use of standard paper patterns, We drew right on the fabric and cut from it. That was when I first used glue for construction. When I began quilting in 74 I continued using it. I have never had problems. Now I use a small metal tip on elmer;s. It gives me control of the flow. When creating I try to use what will give me the best results. I hope we each do. Keep an open mind and a teachable heart and we can improve our art form.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Quote has been edited:

Originally Posted by toadmomma
. . . . . . . DEB
My main concerns about using glue/paste are:

Would it come out? Would it stain or discolor the fabrics? Would it be hard to sew through?

Using glue might make my finished products better. As is, I think they turn out quite well without using glue.
Elmer's WASHABLE glue (not to be confused with any other Elmer's glue) washes out. It doesn't stain or discolor fabric. And it isn't hard to sew through. I've used it to 'baste' binding and to match seams before sewing. I follow Sharon Schamber's instructions and iron it dry before sewing.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM

This is a great video. I've learn so much from it.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
When doing my embroidery work. I use 6 inch squares of fabric. I hoop a sticky back film and run a thin layer of the glue stick, next to the hoop and away from the embroidery work, on the film, place my fabric down and do my machine embroidery. The glue stick helps to keep the fabric from moving so I never get puckers and my outlines are perfect, and it does not show through to the front side.
for those of you that do machine embroidery... the film I use is the same that the stucco guys use to put on their windows before they stucco so they don't have to wash windows when they're done.
It comes on a huge roll 25 inches wide. I forgot how long, but I've had it for 5 years and still have enough for another 5 years plus. $40.00 for the roll. I can't afford the price Joann's or other's charge.
Thanks for the heads up about the window cover film...sounds good for both embroidery & also painting the exterior of the house!