Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good machine and good deal? >

Is this a good machine and good deal?

Is this a good machine and good deal?

Old 10-02-2020, 03:23 AM

Default Is this a good machine and good deal?

Hello everyone,

I am look at purchasing a machine that will do only FMQ for me (since I seem to do that the most).

Can people chime in and let me know if this is a good deal or not? Also, is it a good machine.

Thanks so much

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1525948410
Old 10-02-2020, 03:58 AM

Have no idea if the machine is decent or not, but would advise against the setup if you want a machine on a frame. You should look at machine with a taller and wider throat, and that is going to be a very big issue if you want to quilt more than baby sized quilts.

This setup will allow about a 4" wide quilting path per pass - and as you get farther down the quilt with more rolled up under the machine, it may get to the point where about the only thing you can do is a slight wave or straight line.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:31 AM

I agree with Macybaby. You really want to have a minimum of sixteen inch throat space and that only gives you about twelve inches of quilting space. Pfaffs are very good sewing machines, but for quilting as a midarm not so great.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:34 PM

That’s an excellent machine. I started with that setup and quilted 40+ quilts on it. The throat space is 9”, but actual quilting space is around 5”, which doesn’t accommodate many designs. And the space gets smaller as you roll up your quilt. The price seems high to me. You can buy a similar machine brand new for around US$1,000, and possibly a lot less. I tried to sell my frame for $400 and I still have it. I love the machine and it would be an awesome high-speed, durable piecing machine, but I would pass on this setup unless they would take a lot less for it. For comparison look at the Juki 2010 or Janome 1600. Pfaff no longer offers this model.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:57 AM

MarionsQuilts, I purchased my Pfaff Hobby 1200 Grand Quilter with stitch regulator and Inspira 10' quilting frame on e-Bay in early 2015 for $810.00 plus $200 shipping and at the time I was a bit skeptical, but the machine had been serviced before I got it and I have been so happy I made that purchase ever since. I have had no problems with mine, although the one pictured does seem a bit high priced, but like the seller said, don't be afraid to make an offer, you never know, it may be excepted. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:07 AM

thanks everyone! I did contact her, and turns out she made a mistake on her location ... instead of 5 hours away, it's 15 LOL ... I'll pass!
Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 AM

I don't know anything about long arm machines but just have the seller give you a show of how it works with a quilt in it. Good luck to you and it looks like a good price according to what prices I have seen.