Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The good news & the bad news >

The good news & the bad news

The good news & the bad news

Old 08-13-2019, 12:42 PM

What I have done in such instances is added a boarder around each block. Making each block up to 13" or 14" That way I don't lose my points or my logs. Just a thought. Adding is better than subtracting in this case.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

if you think you will have trouble trimming them with your ruler, just take a straight ruler or edge of any ruler and measure it on the sides, trim them that way.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM

I agree-trim the log cabin blocks down. This won't be that noticeable.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
Go to the hardware store to have a plexy glass square cut for you. Should be really cheap.
Make sure that it is cut "exactly" - and square.Check it out before using it. Some cutters do a better job than others.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:02 AM

What a shame. Before you start trimming, have you tried pinning two blocks together and see if you can fit them together. Sew with the larger block on the bottom. Pin both ends and once in the middle. You might find they'll ease together, no tucks, and not have to trim. You're only easing 1/4". Worth a try before you get the rotary cutter going. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:11 AM

Bummer, but I’m sure your trimming efforts of the log cabin squares will go unnoticed. Good luck in your row assembly.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 AM

Congratulations on moving along on getting this put together! How "big" is the 1/4 inch discrepancy? Unless you are a perfectionist, I'd sure try easing that in instead of trimming that many blocks. As previously recommended, put the bigger one on the bottom and let your machine do the work. Or perhaps just let the bigger one extend over a bit and sew away. It's called a fudge factor.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Congratulations on moving along on getting this put together! How "big" is the 1/4 inch discrepancy? Unless you are a perfectionist, I'd sure try easing that in instead of trimming that many blocks. As previously recommended, put the bigger one on the bottom and let your machine do the work. Or perhaps just let the bigger one extend over a bit and sew away. It's called a fudge factor.
I tend to agree since these are larger blocks. Our sewing machines can work wonders!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:30 AM

I don't mean to confuse you, but this might. I would measure the star blocks and determine which seam caused the offense. Then take out that seam, move it over just enough to get the 12 1/2 you need. I would number the star blocks and you might find some that don't need to be "let out".

On my machine are 5 needle settings. Sometimes just sewing them on a narrower needle setting will do it. Best wishes. I wish I was there, I would help you.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:40 AM

Eighth inch seams are not all bad. With heavy quilting they will hold just fine. When I work with my tiny pieces, I always use 1/8 in. seams.
Perhaps you might put a strip of very light weight stabilizer at each edge that is too short. Lots of work!
But why don't you measure from the points of the stars and see how much "fudge factor" you find there.