Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The good news & the bad news

The good news & the bad news

Here's the good news. I just finished making my blocks for my king size quilt top yesterday. I made 35 star blocks & 35 log cabin blocks. The star blocks were done several years ago & I finished up the logs yesterday. Now for the bad news. When I went to measure all my blocks, all of my star blocks are measuring out at about 12 1/4" instead of 12 1/2". My log blocks are all o.k. with unfinished sizes of 12 1/2" (that's what all the blocks should be.). Now I'm really bummed because I will have to square up my star blocks to 12 1/4" & lose most of my points. Plus, because I don't have a 12 1/4" square ruler it's going to take a lot longer when I go to cutting all 70 blocks down to 12 1/4".
    I made all those star blocks way before I realized the importance of measuring them after each one I made. Man I must have been out of my mind when I made them! Here's a pic of how they are going to be put together in the quilt. At least I don't have to match log blocks.
    What would you do in a case like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I know what I would do - trim the log cabin blocks down just a bit to make them the same size as the star blocks. I think it wouldn't be noticeable at all if you do them all. But, I'm sure you will get some much better advice! I hope you can get it to work out.
    Alyce

That's what I am planning to do but trimming is going to be such a pain without a square ruler that size. I was so hoping to be able to use my 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" ruler for trimming all those blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    That's what I am planning to do but trimming to going to be such a pain without a square ruler that size. I was so hoping to be able to use my 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" ruler for trimming all those blocks.
    Yes, it will be harder that way. But it will be worth it!
    Alyce

Power Poster
    Yes, trim the log cabins down and no one will notice.

Power Poster
    I am confused - if the log cabin blocks are larger than the star blocks, no points will be lost.

The blocks will go together a lot better if they are all the same size -

You could ease in that 1/4 inch - but I would trim, instead.

Remember - take only 1/8 inch off each side of the ones that are 1/4 inch bigger.

Oh my gosh, you are right bear! What was I thinking. I believe I will still save most of my points because I'll be trimming down the log blocks Not the star blocks. My mind is just not working today since I found this problem. I'm not looking forward to trimming all those blocks but I'll do what I have to do. Sometimes quilting is such a challenge for me.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-13-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

What a striking quilt. You will be happier if you trim 1/8 off of each side, and nobody will notice unless they have a ruler. If anyone criticizes, suggest they do it themselves!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Oh my gosh, you are right bear! What was I thinking. I believe I will still save most of my points because I'll be trimming down the log blocks Not the star blocks. My mind is just not working today since I found this problem. I'm not looking forward to trimming all those blocks but I'll do what I have to do. Sometimes quilting is such a challenge for me.
    Maybe just wait until tomorrow before you start trimming anything????

Think of it as trimming very large HST units to desired size.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-13-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Go to the hardware store to have a plexy glass square cut for you. Should be really cheap.

Blog Entries
    What I have done in such instances is added a boarder around each block. Making each block up to 13" or 14" That way I don't lose my points or my logs. Just a thought. Adding is better than subtracting in this case.

Blog Entries
    if you think you will have trouble trimming them with your ruler, just take a straight ruler or edge of any ruler and measure it on the sides, trim them that way.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I agree-trim the log cabin blocks down. This won't be that noticeable.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Go to the hardware store to have a plexy glass square cut for you. Should be really cheap.
    Make sure that it is cut "exactly" - and square.Check it out before using it. Some cutters do a better job than others.

What a shame. Before you start trimming, have you tried pinning two blocks together and see if you can fit them together. Sew with the larger block on the bottom. Pin both ends and once in the middle. You might find they'll ease together, no tucks, and not have to trim. You're only easing 1/4". Worth a try before you get the rotary cutter going. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Bummer, but I’m sure your trimming efforts of the log cabin squares will go unnoticed. Good luck in your row assembly.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Congratulations on moving along on getting this put together! How "big" is the 1/4 inch discrepancy? Unless you are a perfectionist, I'd sure try easing that in instead of trimming that many blocks. As previously recommended, put the bigger one on the bottom and let your machine do the work. Or perhaps just let the bigger one extend over a bit and sew away. It's called a fudge factor.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    Congratulations on moving along on getting this put together! How "big" is the 1/4 inch discrepancy? Unless you are a perfectionist, I'd sure try easing that in instead of trimming that many blocks. As previously recommended, put the bigger one on the bottom and let your machine do the work. Or perhaps just let the bigger one extend over a bit and sew away. It's called a fudge factor.
    I tend to agree since these are larger blocks. Our sewing machines can work wonders!
    To quilt or not to quilt...now what was the question?

Blog Entries
    I don't mean to confuse you, but this might. I would measure the star blocks and determine which seam caused the offense. Then take out that seam, move it over just enough to get the 12 1/2 you need. I would number the star blocks and you might find some that don't need to be "let out".

On my machine are 5 needle settings. Sometimes just sewing them on a narrower needle setting will do it. Best wishes. I wish I was there, I would help you.

Eighth inch seams are not all bad. With heavy quilting they will hold just fine. When I work with my tiny pieces, I always use 1/8 in. seams.
    Perhaps you might put a strip of very light weight stabilizer at each edge that is too short. Lots of work!
    But why don't you measure from the points of the stars and see how much "fudge factor" you find there.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    You can put some thin tape on your 12 1/2 inch ruler to mark the 12 1/4 inch size. That will make the trimming easier.

When I do less than 1/4 inch seam, I add another line of stitching to prevent fraying.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Trim the Log Cabins just a sliver all around. No one will even notice.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I'm on my way to trimming today. Hugs & thanks to everyone with suggestions & encouragement!

I had something very similar happen, and I just eased them together when I sewed, and after I quilted it up (using my LA) you can't tell. It wasn't that hard to ease in 1/4" over 12 inches.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast