Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gorgeous fabric ... but what to do LOL >

Gorgeous fabric ... but what to do LOL

Gorgeous fabric ... but what to do LOL

Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Default Gorgeous fabric ... but what to do LOL

Hello all!

I've been so engaged in FMQ that I decided this year I was going to do quilts and FMQ not just whole cloth quilts!

I've just received my annual fabric order (Yippee) and I have the most gorgeous butterfly fabric but am at a loss as to what to make, because my brain is so focussed on whole cloth!

Here's what I want to work with first: (Note, they are all fat quarters)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606289[/ATTACH]

The two at the bottom of the "whole butterflies" ... I am willing to fussy cut, if someone has an idea.

I'm comfortable with applique, so that's not a problem.
I can also do paper piecing, and I have EQ7 so if you just have a picture, don't worry, I can figure out the pattern!

I also am looking for something with enough negative space that I can do some of new FMQ skills!

Thanks so much! I know when I come back on here and check, there will be tons of advice! So grateful in advance!

Marion
Attached Thumbnails butterfly-fabric.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-06-2019, 03:14 PM

I don't know how complicated you want to get, but I think this would look good, you could adjust the sizes so the middle square would be large enough for a fussy cut or applique butterfly. It is called easy woven quilt, and if you google it she has a video making it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=easy...KFz8XEs6pb96M:
Old 01-06-2019, 03:52 PM

I'd say you want piecing with larger pieces, so you can showcase the butterflies that are large, and give you room for creative fmq'ing. How about Yellow Brick Road? It's the quilt with three blocks, one with three pieces, one with four pieces, and one with five pieces. You make all those blocks then lay them out in a pleasing way, mixing up the blocks and rotating them. The resulting quilt looks complicated, but isn't. It's a pattern I love--pretty, complicated looking, but easy and fast.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 PM

QuilterGary just had written about a black & white quilt and the quilters on here gave him a few sites to look at. Please go there and maybe you will find a few ideas too. Your fabric is beautiful and I would have to study it out too.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 AM

You can't go wrong with The 'Yellow Brick Road" pattern.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 AM

I looked up Yellow Brick Road, and don't like the pattern! Sorry, but thanks for the suggestion
Old 01-07-2019, 06:45 AM

I think Garden Lattice would work well too, separating into light/ dark, but might not give as much of a field to show off quilting.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:48 AM

If your wanting a more modern look, something like this would look good w/ some of the pieced areas having a fussy cut butterfly appliqued and others fancy quilting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=latt...RzJ9JYaW3QEhM:
Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
If your wanting a more modern look, something like this would look good w/ some of the pieced areas having a fussy cut butterfly appliqued and others fancy quilting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=latt...RzJ9JYaW3QEhM:
I can't think of a pattern right now, but this pattern would give you a better opportunity to use your FM skills than the Yellow Brick Road pattern.

One thing to consider when you decide which fabrics to place where, is you will "lose" the quilting in the dark (black) fabric, unless you use a contrasting thread. If using black thread (I like to match my thread colors), use a side light to see where you are going/have been with the quilting. Can't wait to see what you came up with.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:14 PM

I don't have any ideas but just wanted to tell you that the fabrics are gorgeous. Please share with us on what pattern you chose and share a picture of your progress.