Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Z44 Fabri-Fast Hand Quilting Frame Question >

Grace Z44 Fabri-Fast Hand Quilting Frame Question

Grace Z44 Fabri-Fast Hand Quilting Frame Question

Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Smile Grace Z44 Fabri-Fast Hand Quilting Frame Question

I plan on ordering my Grace Z44 tomorrow. I found it as little as $330 and will fit up to a KIng. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/gr...vpnAodJSkAaQ#I have a question for you kind ladies. I have never used a frame before. Freehand and hoop are all I have used. As I have been doing some research, do I need this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grace-Hand-Q...-/390067750408 I'm not sure what they mean by "leader material". Also, is there anything else I need to order? Thanks so much in advance!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

I don't have a Grace frame, but I do use a floor frame for hand quilting.

Leader material is the fabric you attach to the poles. Your top and backing will be attached to the leader fabric - I use pins. The leader material doesn't have to be any special fabric - I used some ugly yardage as leaders on my first frame. It needs to be sturdy enough to hold up to pin basting, but not so heavy you can't pin through it easily.

If you have any Grace specific questions, I bet the Grace Company will be happy to answer any questions.

Good luck!

Janet
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM

I have a Z44 that I purchased over ten years ago. It has the wooden poles and I have to attach my leaders by thumb tacks. I understand the new frames are metal and have a different method for attaching the leaders. I also have leaders for the sides, but I believe the newer Z44s have bungie cords for the sides. I would strongly recommend those. I used my frame for basting because I never mastered quilting away from myself. However, I've given strong thought to getting my frame back out of storage and giving it another try. Congratulations on your new frame. I know now excited you must be. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 AM

i bought a gracie frame about 5 years ago. tried it with out leaders you will
be happier if you get the leaders i broke down and bought some.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 AM

Thank y'all so much! It is much appreciated. I suppose I am lacking in quilting skills being I reach under to pull thread through all layers and then push back up. Therefore, in my mind, I am visualizing the leader fabric being in the way as it would be with the other layers. I have such a love of quilts but have so much to still learn. Thanks again! Yes, I will keep y'all posted.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaPendino View Post
Thank y'all so much! It is much appreciated. I suppose I am lacking in quilting skills being I reach under to pull thread through all layers and then push back up. Therefore, in my mind, I am visualizing the leader fabric being in the way as it would be with the other layers. I have such a love of quilts but have so much to still learn. Thanks again! Yes, I will keep y'all posted.
I attach the quilt edge to the leader, so there's nothing under the quilt sandwich at all. The leader just give you a place to attach the front of the quilt, and be able to reach the end of the quilt. They're not in the way, and they help you deal with the beginning and end.

Janet
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Ok, I just placed my order for the frame and clamps... thinking I will just pick up some fabric for leaders or what have you. Thanks so much for clarifying. I just couldn't get the process straight in my mind. Might be the "oh my goodness, I am actually going to get this frame!" lol. My back will be in very much gratitude mode for this frame.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM

While I don't have that exact frame I often quilt on a similar floor frame. I suggest you get a rolling office chair to sit in while doing your quilting. It makes life a whole lot easier to just roll along rather than having to drag your seating as you proceed down the width of the quilt.

Have fun!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM

You can make your own leaders
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Nothing but bad luck thus far. First, they didn't send what I had ordered, so they have had to refund what I had paid to have it finished. Now, as I was putting it together, I have noticed one of the wood pieces is cracked all the way through. Waiting on them to call me back and to the point I am ready for a full refund. I plan to do some searching to see what I can find in a store instead of ordering online. The frame itself was shipped straight from Grace. These people I am dealing with are just the go-between.