Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmothers flower garden question >

grandmothers flower garden question

grandmothers flower garden question

Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM

I am in the process of putting together the Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt and am tearing my hair out!!! I hope somebody can help me before my whole class goes mad. I have the centre and one row around and I want to put the path around this but the thing is how?? I firstly put 5 hexagons on the flowers and that didn't go together, somebody said you have to do 6 hexagons, which I did and that didn't fit now I have been told I only need to put 3 hexagons on each flower & it will fit together. My teacher did this and she said it still didn't fit. Everywhere I have looked tells you how to do everything excpt for how many hexagons to add to each flower to form a single path. So how do I do it, any advise will be greatly accepted and appreciated. :?:
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM

i'm also doing one. my center hex is yellow the next row "just an example" is light pink, 6 hexes. the next row say, dark pink is 12 hexes. a hex has 6 sides, you add another hex to each side. make sure you are working with an evenly cut hex, all sides equal. if i can figure out how, i'll post some pics tomorrow. good at sewing not so good with the computer.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 PM

Do you have a picture of the finished quilt? How many hexagons in each flower? Can you post a picture of what you are trying to put together?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Power Poster

How frustrating! I have seen several methods for putting them together....I am going to use a star shape in a contrasting colour rather than the traditional path a) When I finally finish making enough b) When I unearth my misplaced pattern.

Here is a link to a traditional GFG - page two has pretty clear visuals on how they go together, hope it helps. Don't forget to show us your quilt (even as a WIP) ...you know how we love pics. Let us know if this is helpful or not...nothing worse than not being able to figure it out.
http://www.quilterscache.com/G/Grand...rdenBlock.html
Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 AM

Connie, if you put 12 hexs around the 6 does that not give you a double path in places? Isn't it suppose to be a single path?

Earthwalker - I have checked that website but it shows an extra row of hexs and I want to do only a centre, 1 round of 6 hexs and then the path. If I do as Connie suggested (might add that I got real excited about the solution until I thought about it) I end up with a double path. If you look at the diagram on that site the white path is a single row not a double.

I decided that I wanted to do mine with no rhyme or reason = it'll look like an out of control garden -if I can work out how to get it together.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Thank you.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 AM

IIcox - I haven't put it together - that is what is causing me grief!!! The how too!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 AM

Could you post a picture please?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 AM

use graph paper, here is a free download from connecting threads website. scroll down and download and print.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...ml?showAll=yes
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 AM

put them together like this, they will fit together however you will have to add a few around the outside edges of the entire quilt to finish it off.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140780.png  
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM

I think you only want the center and the flower row(6 hexes)= 1 flower. and the next row will be the path, So you will have to sew the next flowers to the path that's around the first flower. Is that what you are trying to get?that way you will only have 1 path in between all the flowers. some you will have to sew the path on and some just the flowers to sew around the path. Hope I didn't confuse you more.