Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy Wife

Gypsy Wife

Has anyone made a Gypsy Wife quilt? Iíve just started looking into making one. Itís probably silly, but I donít want to have to pay for a pattern so I was going to try to make my own. Itís a project I probably wonít start until the end of the year, but maybe itís something we could create a quilt-along for if others are interested?

Blog Entries
    My brother bought me the pattern for Christmas... That's as far as I've gotten!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T Ė is it True? H Ė is it Helpful? I Ė is it Inspiring? N Ė is it Necessary? K Ė is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've had the same thought, of making my own sampler rather than following a pattern. The vertical stripes seem to be the distinguishing feature of the Gypsy Wife quilt. I don't know about a quilt-along though. Nan closed one thread with the explanation that it was turning into a quilt-along, and this wasn't the forum for it.

Maybe you and I could put our heads together and come up with our own plan!

Do a google search. There are several quilt a longs that happened and are still posted online.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

There is a Quilt Along going on right now for any Jen Kingwell pattern. It's in the Challenges section

https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...s-t297401.html

The thread that was closed was for the Splendid Sampler, and a new one for a quilt along was started in the Challenges forum.

It's not the QB is the wrong place, but the Main is the wrong section.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 06-23-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I thought about using the Quilter's Cache for blocks and then adding the striped sections. Moda has a quilt along calls Mode Blockheads. This time around they will have different sized blocks.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

This was a quilt-a-long that could help you.
    http://jaffaquilts.blogspot.com/p/gy...long-2016.html
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Thanks! I’m not ready to join a quilt along, was just “thinking out loud “ ��

That’s a good idea too!

Blog Entries
    I have my gypsy wife finished as to Jen Kingwell’s pattern but want to add an inner sashing (probably white) and then an outer border (maybe pinwheels or something) so I haven’t posted photos on the QB yet. I think it would be a daunting task to try to construct one without a pattern but maybe some of you have a program that might help...I’ll be curious if anyone tries it.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Here it is without the sashing and borders.
    Name:  7F79C5AD-74DA-4C56-A56A-83FC1E2CB6D4.jpeg
Views: 1704
Size:  268.4 KB
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

JMoore your GYpsy Wife is lovely! I think your fabric choices combine perfectly making this a very cheerful and beautifully constructed GW - I love it!
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Blog Entries
    Jmoore that is beautiful. It has rekindled my desire to make one.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I love all of the colors!!! How much time do you think you spent on it? I’m just curious!!

I too have the pattern, but that's as far as its gone. Actually looking at any of them on YouTube, they simply look like a bunch of "trial" blocks of various sizes-colors, connected with a jelly roll...either bought or homemade. Breaking it down into vertical strips, it seems manageable. I do believe the original pattern does have a few errors in it....but have been corrected. Maybe someday I'll gather all my orphan blocks and see what comes of it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiecoyote View Post
    Thanks! I’m not ready to join a quilt along, was just “thinking out loud “ ��
    Maybe if you just watched and did not actually do the quilt along you would get some great hints and ideas, or you might want to just do a few blocks and make it a table runner or wall hanging .
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I have been wanting to do one also. I think I will start with all my orphan blocks from my batiks. There is a lot of info online, enough that I think I can just wing it and put it together as I have leftovers. Probably won't look as pretty as jmoores but it will be really scrappy. Arghhhh....another work in progress to pile on my table.

Blog Entries
    Jmoore, what a beautiful job. I love your scrappy quilt.

I am thinking of doing this as well. But, I will probably use Jen Kingwell's idea of Gypsy Wife as a guidline. I will change out blocks that I really love with blocks that are not my favorite. But, both your quilt and Jen Kingwell's pattern are very inspiring. Here's a link to a pattern correction in one of the sections of Gypsy Wife. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/455989531002096512/. You could use this as a jumping off point to design your own quilt. With a nod to Gypsy Wife. I have heard the original pattern is a little difficult to follow. But, people with really good Math Skills don't have any problem at all. lol, that's not me.
    Last edited by Judith1005; 06-24-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

jmoore that is a beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    oh my, i must make one more batik for a friend. You would show this one. I love it. don't really want to do it, just finished another one. it is gorgeous though!!!

Thanks for the link. If I do my own, it will just be inspired by the Gypsy Wife pattern. I don't know what it is, but as soon as I saw one of these, I was captivated!

I almost purchased this pattern yesterday, then I read the reviews. Lots of complaints on the instruction, homemade copied pages, gray printing, not black, poor instruction, errors in pattern, high cost for what you get......well I might have to think about this for a while...Love the finished quilt and love your quilt. I would like to hear from you, what you thought of the pattern and any difficulties you had. thank you. PS. I purchased another of her patterns last month from Quilt in a Day. I had the same complaints. First time I ever sent anything back to Eleanor. I noticed they no longer have that pattern for sale on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I've had the same thought, of making my own sampler rather than following a pattern. The vertical stripes seem to be the distinguishing feature of the Gypsy Wife quilt. I don't know about a quilt-along though. Nan closed one thread with the explanation that it was turning into a quilt-along, and this wasn't the forum for it.

If you wanted to do it as a quilt along I think you could start a thread on the challenges forum.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast