Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hand quilitng needle

Someone recently posted about a hand quilting needle. I have searched several pages of posts and can't find it. I think it was a John James or something special. Can you tell me what it is?

i use john james needles....I want a "large" eye needle ~ The needles do say "large eye", but i'm not sure the exact difference

I like the smallest needle possible.

needles used for hand quilting are usually called "betweens"

There are several different brands and everyone has their favourites. The larger the number the smaller the length of the needle. I like to use Piecemakers brand and I prefer a size 12 which is small. I find the short needles easier to rock and I get more stitches per inch than with a longer needle. It's all personal preference.

I don't know anything about John James brand, but I'm sure someone who uses them will be able to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    Someone recently posted about a hand quilting needle. I have searched several pages of posts and can't find it. I think it was a John James or something special. Can you tell me what it is?
    A lot of time they are called " betweens" smaller needle is best.

np3
    Blog Entries
    You need a "between".

[quote=quiltlady37]Someone recently posted about a hand quilting needle. I have searched several pages of posts and can't find it. I think it was a John James or something special. Can you tell me what it is?[/quote
    The ones we use in Australia are called 'in betweens' - a number 9 sized needle would be good to start with. There are some specialty ones which go through the material more easily than others. A John James is one of those types and one of those needles generally costs twice as much as a packet of the others...at least that is how it is in this neck of the woods.