Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: hand quilter qnd hand piecing

Blog Entries
    i was just thinking about how many years ago how they use to quilt by hand and piece by hand and i wonder how many are doing it now i like to sit and piece and hand quilt i feel relax when i do it and can take it with me and still enjoy the quilting .

Blog Entries
    Same here.

I love hand work. It's how I first taught myself to sew. I always have at least one hand quilting project going. Right now I have 2 -- a grandmother's flower garden and a Dear Jane. Both will be hand pieced and hand quilted. I actually feel more confident with just a needle and thread -- probably because it is how I first started. Just wish I could sew faster.

Elsie.
    At times I feel like the dinosaur with all my hand pieceing, hand quilting.
    Travel across our state 250-300 miles every other weekend one way and my hand sttichen keeps me sane. Just finished 7 sisters Queen size, still have not figured out hoow to get hoop in front seat as H drives.
    stitchfully

I enjoy hand quilting because then it feels like I truly "made" the entire piece, instead of a machine helping me. It's a greater sense of accomplishment!

I most enjoy the handquilting. I will admit that I only piece by machine and only when necessary. If I had my druthers I would do all whole cloth or what I call cheaters cloth which are preprinted fabrics that look like patchwork or applique. I have done a number of those type peices which have to be examined closely to tell that they were actually whole cloth.

Banned
    i do it all.

i hand and machine piece and i hand and machine quilt - typically all in the same quilt.

Blog Entries
    it is a nice to sat back and just relax and work on your pieces and i do machine some times but it not like working with your hand and it good to hear other enjoy doing it

I love hand quilting. The busier I am , the more I want to sew by hand.

Panda

I am working on a Dear Jane which I am hand piecing because I'm much more accurate than if I was doing it by machine.

I love both too, seems i've really done something when i finish one like that. although i piece on my machine some times. i cut a bun
    ch of sguares for one of my friends to get her quilting last winter so cut myself some and made a pretty blended quilt( LIGHT) i would put enough sqrs in aplastic bag and carry it with me when at Dr. next thing i knew i had enough done , to make my quilt top. Really enjoyed it.Have fun :wink:

I love hand quilting, the most relaxing thing there is to do.
    I feel at peace when I am sitting at my frame quilting.
    I think I only piece the tops so I can have the pleasure of quilting them! :lol: :lol:

I love hand quilting -- I think it's so relaxing and adds so much to a quilt!

Blog Entries
    it is so nice to hear that others ejoy what you like to do

Quote Originally Posted by JRSAY
    Elsie.
    Travel across our state 250-300 miles every other weekend one way and my hand sttichen keeps me sane. Just finished 7 sisters Queen size, still have not figured out hoow to get hoop in front seat as H drives.
    stitchfully
    You may have to take your quilt and hoop and sit in the backseat. :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    has any one use aunt becky i do sometimes and it helps your finger not to get to many stabs on your finger under your quilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by camillacamilla
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSAY
    Elsie.
    stitchfully
    You may have to take your quilt and hoop and sit in the backseat. :mrgreen:
    and hope you don't hit pot holes :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie
    has any one use aunt becky i do sometimes and it helps your finger not to get to many stabs on your finger under your quilt

I've never tried this, but l have heard about it and seen it on television.
    Is it hard to learn to use?
    When I quilt a lot, I get callouses on 2 fingers on my left hand, always punching them
    I have tried other things, but just seem to have to feel the needle. I cant control the stitches.

Hand quilting is very relaxing, and I usually do it in a group, so it is also fellowship! I do machine piece most of my quilts, but occassionally work on Cathedral Windows or Grandmothers Flower Garden or make Yo-Yos by hand. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Hand quilting is very relaxing, and I usually do it in a group, so it is also fellowship! I do machine piece most of my quilts, but occassionally work on Cathedral Windows or Grandmothers Flower Garden or make Yo-Yos by hand. :lol:
    Oh gosh, I LOVE to make Yo-Yos -- but what the heck do you do with them when you're done???????????????????

There was a quilt at a local fabric shop that used yo-yo to make poodles on the quilt. I will ask them if I can post the pictre when I find it!

Use different sizes and stack them for Christmas trees. Use them for embellishing on kid quilts. Think about all the places you could use them to hide points not matching! :?

There was a quilt at a local fabric shop that used yo-yo to make poodles on the quilt. I will ask them if I can post the pictre when I find it!

Use different sizes and stack them for Christmas trees. Use them for embellishing on kid quilts. Think about all the places you could use them to hide points not matching! :?
    Heck, if I'm gonna put them on places to hide the unmatching points, I might as well make a yo-yo quilt!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Heck, if I'm gonna put them on places to hide the unmatching points, I might as well make a yo-yo quilt!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I have the queen size top that my MIL made from yo-yos, and it is beautiful.
    Let me know if you want to see a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce

I have the queen size top that my MIL made from yo-yos, and it is beautiful.
    Let me know if you want to see a picture of it.
    Well, of course, I want to see a picture!!!! :D :D :D

I've seen quilts where the yo-yos were attached to a piece of muslin and then pictures of other quilts where they were just sewn together. Wonder which way would be easiest???

this one was attached to white cotton, not the best jpicture though. We placed it in my floor frame, and then all her friends came and helped her sew them on.

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0040.JPG[/img]

Elsie, if you don't want this here, just PM me and I will delete it! :D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast