Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting Needles?

Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, MD and Germany. Now living in TN again. Moving to Arkansas

Hand Quilting Needles?

While hand quilting the fine tips of my
    needles break off. I can still quilt with it
    but it is a definite difference. What needles
    is everyone using? I thought these were
    John James and my first time using them.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Have you tried Clover Quilting Betweens? Perhaps the John James needles you were using were not the short betweens?
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I used to use Piecemakers but I just got some Tulip size 10 and they are really nice.

Hiroshima Tulip are the very best. They are a little more expensive, but seldom bend and I have never had one break.

I bought a gross of Coats Betweens and I have never had a tip break off. I have had some break in half.

John James betweens have a tendency to bend very easily. I use Roxanne's betweens size 11 or 12.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

I prefer Roxanne's between needles as well. Usually size 11. I don't think I've ever had a tip break off. Have had some bend but that's about it.

Blog Entries
    Roxanne and Tulip hand needles are my favorites, I do use a lot of John James embroidery, straw, or Millners for hand embroidery work.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use John James and, for me they hold up pretty well especially as I use the spoon quilting technique so the tips hit metal quite hard and I load on about 5 stitches. It is rare that I break one. However, after a while, they do form a bend which suits my method, so I am pleased with them.

HettyB

I use John James or Clover #10 for hand quilting. I got some Roxanne needles and every point was dull. Threw them away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I bought a gross of Coats Betweens and I have never had a tip break off. I have had some break in half.
    Any needle I use will eventually break, no matter the brand. I have just accepted that as a cost of hand sewing. All of my life this has happened, except when I use the old “gold tipped” needles my grandmother left me. I somehow have a strangle hold on a needle when I hand sew. I do wish that I had some larger “gold tipped” ones for embroidery though. If any of you have a supplier for them, please PM me.
    (*The “gold tipped” needles prevent the thread from fraying as it slides going through the eye as you sew.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.