Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting: A question >

Hand quilting: A question

Hand quilting: A question

Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Dutchgirl,
I don't know about you, but I am VERY visual...I look things up online all the time since I don't have my instructor (mom) here with me. I found this one on YouTube, but I don't keep my hoop this tight...it's very loose contrary to popular teachings. I had a link where I saw the method I learned and it was a really good video but I didn't save the link specifically...DonnaRae has some great links in here that I"ve bookmarked and I"m sure I got it from her---now, where to find it LOL. In any case, the following link may be helpful to you.
Best of luck with your project!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaSdlJDVwI&feature=related
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM

I do only handquilting. I use a hoop. I think it is 18 or 21 inch oval. I keep it snug enough to pull out all the wrinkles for a smooth back. I use a #7 between quilting needle. It is small. About an inch long. I put my left hand under the quilt and use my finger nail as a feeler to aid my needle. You can rock your needle in and out. Beleive it or not a smaller needle gives a smaller stitch. I have won ribbons with my handquilting. Just relax and take the work out of it and enjoy what you are doing. Don't be tense worring about every little stich in the back. you will learn the feel of your needle coming through and going back in. Hope this helps you. I have used thick and thin batting and the snugger it is in your hoop the easier to go through. Hope this helps. I can show better than I can tell. Good liuck. Relax! Oh yea, almost forgot. I use a thimble with a rim on it to prevent the needle slipping. It really helps to control ypour needle.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM

We all have our own "method"....I used to keep my quilt sandwich TAUT...however, after using the Aunt Becky's little folded metal piece....and watching others.....I think if you make your sandwich TAUT.....then give your hoop a little turn.....and loosen your sandwich so that you can put a little "pooch" into it...you'll find it much easier to get an even quilting hand stitch. Of course....the best advice, is practice, practice, practice.....and if you're using fabric with NO SEAMS I'm sure you'll get your stitching quicker.....going through seams is really disconcerting & hard to control the stitch length.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM

I personally like mine pretty loose in the hoop also( that almost sounds nasty doesnt it :oops: ) just try different methods to see what works for you.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:04 AM

I'm so glad your learning to hand quilt. Don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect, or pretty much so.
I find the first stitch is always bigger then the rest.
My first two quilts I did years ago I stabbed stitched them and thought I was quilting! My hoop is a 14 inch I use Big eye John James needles size 11 and 12. I started out using a 9 needle and I don't know the name brand back then. I keep my quilt loose in the hoop. Like a cat had laid on it!!
My off hand finger has a calous on it from being pricked. But I love to hand quilt.
Just keep with it you'll get it!!
Keep it rocking,
Donna Mae
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 PM

Dutchgirl,
I found another tutorial...still not the one I'm looking for, but it's of the rocker method and some basics....will keep looking.

http://video.about.com/quilting/Hand-Quilting-Techniques.htm