Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Stitches >

Hand Quilting Stitches

Hand Quilting Stitches

Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM

Everyone has their own way of quilting from buying the fabric to hand quilting it. You wil find your own rhythm that is comfortable for you. Don't try to take teeny tiny stitches you see at quilt shows at first. If that is your goal, you can work toward it, but just starting out don't fuss over less than perfect stitches.

You may have to try a few different types of hoops. I usually just hoop my quilt on a 14" frame and put it on my lap and stitch away. I also have a quilt frame on a stand in case it is too hot to have it on my lap.

I don't mark most of my quilt. I use that blue tape and tape 12in or so to use as my guide for a straight line. If I'm using a curved design. I mark the quilt with a soap edge. They are a ton of ways to mark your qullt and you could probably read them here.

Experiment! Find what you like to do best and you'll enjoy the process more.

I did however, learn one lesson. I had two puppies and was quilting on my hoop on a stand with the quilt hanging on the floor. I was merrily quilting away and thougt that gee, the puppies sure have been quiet under there. There they were, happily undoing my quilt. A pile of batting was their treasure. Pets have seem to love quilts, so I made them their own so I wouldn't fuss over them rolling around and making a bed out of one of my "good" quilts.