Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Quilter's "Simply Sixteen" longarm - opinions? >

Handi Quilter's "Simply Sixteen" longarm - opinions?

Handi Quilter's "Simply Sixteen" longarm - opinions?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 PM

I've been doing research into longarms in anticipation of getting one, and have been looking at the Handi Quilter "Simply Sixteen". Does anyone here have one or have used one? If so, your opinions please? Thanks! :D

Also, if you have it, which of the frames do you use with it and how do you like it?

[img]http://www.amongfriendsquiltshop.com...n_package4.jpg[/img]
Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

it kind of looks like mine,
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37470.jpe  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM

If you can manage it, I would suggest coming to the Houston quilt show. They have ALL the brands set up so you can try them.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 PM

I have the HQ16 with stitch regulator. That is the only difference between the sweet 16 and hq16. I absolutely love my hq. I have the HQ16 with the 10ft QuilTable. FAN-TAB-U-LOUS.

The hq is a very LOW MAINTENANCE machine. Just keep the bobbin area clean, 1 or 2 drops of oil every 8 hours or so and voila you are done with maintenance. I've had my machine for over 3 years. I've finished AT LEAST 100 quilts on it and have not taken back to the tech for service. I MIGHT, not too sure yet, but MIGHT take it to be serviced sometime this year.

The machine runs fairly quiet. I have very little vibration or machine bounce. Whenever I do get that I just have my husband re-level my table. Poof, no more shakey.

Look on the handi quilter home page in the forums and you can find some really good deals on machines because of the release on the Avante and Fusion. Also, I think there is one on mqresource for sale at a good price.

You might contact a few HQ dealers also. They may have some for trade ins. Good thing is, even if you buy one used, HQ will still help you if you have any problems. They are absolutely FANTASTIC folks. They are a company that believes in standing behind their product!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM

crashnquilt, you said you might get yours serviced...where would you take it... I have been thinking about getting one too... but there are no dealers near me at all. Even to go to a show and see them I have to travel far being from long island.I'm even traveling to other states just to go to quilt shops. There aren't many of them here either. Thanks susie0808
Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I have the HQ16 with stitch regulator. That is the only difference between the sweet 16 and hq16. I absolutely love my hq. I have the HQ16 with the 10ft QuilTable. FAN-TAB-U-LOUS.

The hq is a very LOW MAINTENANCE machine. Just keep the bobbin area clean, 1 or 2 drops of oil every 8 hours or so and voila you are done with maintenance. I've had my machine for over 3 years. I've finished AT LEAST 100 quilts on it and have not taken back to the tech for service. I MIGHT, not too sure yet, but MIGHT take it to be serviced sometime this year.

The machine runs fairly quiet. I have very little vibration or machine bounce. Whenever I do get that I just have my husband re-level my table. Poof, no more shakey.

Look on the handi quilter home page in the forums and you can find some really good deals on machines because of the release on the Avante and Fusion. Also, I think there is one on mqresource for sale at a good price.

You might contact a few HQ dealers also. They may have some for trade ins. Good thing is, even if you buy one used, HQ will still help you if you have any problems. They are absolutely FANTASTIC folks. They are a company that believes in standing behind their product!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 PM

I don't know the diff. between the Simply Sixteen and the HQ16 or if there is a difference but I have a couple of friends that have the HQ16 and they LOVE them! Just LOVE them! We have an A-1 but I did look at the HQ16 before going to the Houston Show one Fall & trying out all of the machines. Ever brand in the market will be there. But I have never read a bad thing about the HQ16. There is a Handiquilter forum I think.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

The simply Sixteen is just that, simple, it is a very basic machine with no add ones, some people do well with simple, others prefer some help like with a stitch regulator, some the qbot, I have the lazer and the stylus and groovie boards for mine, it is all about what you need and what you are using it for,
Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 AM

Can you imagine how many quilts Eddie will turn out with a long arm? It boggles the mind to think about.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 AM

Eddie, what type of quilting do you want to do? If you are thinking of pantographs, there are no handlebars on the back, but you can grab on to the case. This machine does not have a stitch regulator. The machine can be upgraded at any time to stitch regulation and you could then add the rear handle bars. I would definitely recommend going and trying all the models. I myself have the HQ Fusion.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 AM

Susie, there is a rep. for Handi Quilter in Massapequa and another in Manhattan. Where on Long Island do you live?