Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging Quilts >

Hanging Quilts

Hanging Quilts

Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Hanging Quilts

What is your preferred method for hanging quilts? Especially larger quilts?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Using a rod in a sleeve.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Here is what I do. I buy the large command strips refills and glue them to the back of metal pieces my DH cuts for me. The command strips are on the wall. I then use a strong round magnet to hold the quilt to the metal. Easy, holds a big quilt, and if I don't want the magnets to show I put them in the sleeve of the quilt
Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I have never made a sleeve, but have thought about it many times. I usually attach my little wall hangings to a hanger. Larger quilts I do not hang but just put on racks or the back of the couch.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM

If it's for a competition, then I make a rod pocket per competition specs.

If it's to hang in a gallery or for display at home then I use a couple of different methods depending on the weight of the quilt. For larger/heavier quilts I make a rod pocket and slide a flat metal rod in it. Then I either use command strips or nails to affix a couple of metal plates to the wall to which I attach a magnets that are strong enough to hold the quilt. This way the hanging mechanism is completely hidden and it's easy to change out quilts.

In a pinch I have also used the magnets on the front of the quilt and skipped the rod pocket, but some heavier quilts will slide out from between the magnet and metal plate so I usually add a couple of tiny binder clips that I nail to the wall using very tiny nails. These aren't strong enough to hold most of my quilts up on their own, but they do have just enough hold to keep the quilt from sliding down when used in conjunction with the magnets. This is pretty unobtrusive.

Rob
Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 AM

I sew a sleeve about 4" wide onto the back and hang from a curtain rod, either decorative or rod-pocket style. The bigger the quilt, the heavier the rod should be.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 AM

Default Request

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Here is what I do. I buy the large command strips refills and glue them to the back of metal pieces my DH cuts for me. The command strips are on the wall. I then use a strong round magnet to hold the quilt to the metal. Easy, holds a big quilt, and if I don't want the magnets to show I put them in the sleeve of the quilt
Can you show a picture of what you do? Thank you.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I sew a sleeve about 4" wide onto the back and hang from a curtain rod, either decorative or rod-pocket style. The bigger the quilt, the heavier the rod should be.
I do this too. The top of the hanging sleeve is attached with the binding and the folded edge is stitched by hand but rolled up slightly to allow for the diameter of the rod so it hangs straight down from the rod.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 AM

I prefer to use Café Curtain rods. They are smaller and hang about an inch from the wall. I like to put two hanging sleeves, one on the top and one on the bottom. I hang the top on the provided wall mounts and I run a second rod thru the bottom to weigh the quilt a little. I don't attach the bottom rod to the wall. On wider quilts, it' necessary to put a hole in the center of the hanging strip to allow a third center wall mount
Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM

I like the idea of the extra bottom rod. I am in the process of making a wall hanging that is about 70" wide. I had planned on using a cafè rod on the top but wanted to weigh the bottom.