Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Harbor Freight blades - issues with my newest shipment being dull

I'm in the group that swears by the Harbor Freight blades. I think they work better than the Olfa ones. Love them.

That being said, last month, I bought 10 packs of 2 since they were on sale. I got them and just opened a pack. Both blades were dull. 1 was ridiculously dull. And the package was difficult to open. I opened a 2nd package, and the blade works, but it isn't incredibly sharp like they usually are.

I'm sending an email to HF right now. I was wondering if it was just a fluke with my shipment or if others have noticed the same issues?

My last ones were very dull also.

Jim
    I am still using the 10 packs I bought previously and they are VERY SHARP

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I'm in the group that swears by the Harbor Freight blades. I think they work better than the Olfa ones. Love them.

That being said, last month, I bought 10 packs of 2 since they were on sale. I got them and just opened a pack. Both blades were dull. 1 was ridiculously dull. And the package was difficult to open. I opened a 2nd package, and the blade works, but it isn't incredibly sharp like they usually are.

I'm sending an email to HF right now. I was wondering if it was just a fluke with my shipment or if others have noticed the same issues?
    Yikes, not good news

Blog Entries
    did you by chance get a package of the (recycled) blades?
    some shops recycle blades- they are deemed still usable for cutting carpet- which is what they sell them for- the carpet cutters allow alot more pressure to be put into the cut-so the blades are not necessarily that sharp. i think they do say on the package (recycled)
    if that's the case you might be able to return them for new blades. depends on the store

I use them also, and never had a problem.

i had the exact same problem.

i purchased them because of the rave reviews but they were more dull then the blade it was meant to replace.

i sent them back and won't be wasting my money on them any longer

Blog Entries
    I find they don't seem to last as long as the "real" blades. I think I won't buy anymor Harbor Freight blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueangel
    My last ones were very dull also.

Blog Entries
    :shock: oh no, I hope it is only that batch of blades. I love them and the price was wonderful. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I bought 11 packages 2 weeks ago and have used one blade for the last 2 weeks on a quilt top, mini bow tuck, 2 clutches, 3 mug rugs and it is still as sharp as ever. For .75 I'll chance it and return any dull ones. $16.50 for 22 blades is great. I could only get 3-4 blades for that price with coupons.

The last package that I used wasn't very good either. Maybe the quality is changing???

Power Poster
    I think they have become a victim of their own success. As they started flying off the shelves due to quilters, they probably rushed production for increased demand. I have to pay full price for my blades here and all I can say is ouch! I used my 50% Michael's coupon this month and paid $8 for one blade.

I have about 15 packs left from older purchases and I've never run across a dull blade yet. Maybe with quilters snapping up thousands of blades they're having to rush products out to keep them in stores so are not inspecting them as well, or at all?

aahh Do you think there is a conspiricy against quilters by H F? Because of US they pobably have to hire more help to keep them on the shelves. LOL

For the price they are worth it.....for me. If some are not up to par they get a quick sharpen and it is good or tossed.
    We have to remember until it was discovered they fit our rotaries, mostly men used them for the purpose they were intended. Cutting carpet has a lot more power behind it than we ever would use. I am sure they do not have quality control for every $.75 blade.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    did you by chance get a package of the (recycled) blades?
    some shops recycle blades- they are deemed still usable for cutting carpet- which is what they sell them for- the carpet cutters allow alot more pressure to be put into the cut-so the blades are not necessarily that sharp. i think they do say on the package (recycled)
    if that's the case you might be able to return them for new blades. depends on the store
    I bought them online. I don't see "recycled" anywhere on the packaging

Quote Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
    aahh Do you think there is a conspiricy against quilters by H F? Because of US they pobably have to hire more help to keep them on the shelves. LOL

For the price they are worth it.....for me. If some are not up to par they get a quick sharpen and it is good or tossed.
    We have to remember until it was discovered they fit our rotaries, mostly men used them for the purpose they were intended. Cutting carpet has a lot more power behind it than we ever would use. I am sure they do not have quality control for every $.75 blade.
    When I got the first blade that was dull (tons of pressure, wouldn't cut anything), I shrugged it off. $.75, exactly, no big deal. But when 4 in a row were dull, I got concerned

I had a bad batch of blades that I ordered direct from United Notions awhile back. I guess it's possible no matter where they come from.