Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done the Cotton Quilting Theory Technique?

Blog Entries
    Has anyone done the Cotton Quilting Theory Technique?

Cotton Theory quilting is a new and different way to construct your quilt. It's backward!

Unlike traditional quilts, which are pieced together, layered with batting and then quilted, Cotton Theory projects are quilted first, one segment at a time, and then assembled using Betty Cotton's fold-and-finish procedures.

Blog Entries
    I just did some research and found some cool videos to watch!

http://www.google.com/search?q=cotto...e=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=RiquTMvpJ9WMnQfH_p2GBg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=7&ved=0CFYQqwQwBg

Blog Entries
    Here is a video to watch on quilters tv and shows how to make a cool trivet, so the trivet is reversible. How cool is that!

http://quilterstv.com/

I bought the book but have not tried it yet.

Blog Entries
    I was just watching a video from Nancy Notions and she was mentioning about the book and a dvd

looks cool, thanks for your note

another project for all of us to do

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I bought the book but have not tried it yet.

I've taken a class and completed the class project but haven't done any others. It's a cool way to finish off reversible projects - one way and two way streets are the terms she uses...

Thank you for sharing this!! I just love to learn new things

np3
    Blog Entries
    Okay, I've been on the website since you posted this. What a great source of information. I'm hooked. I'm going to watch the videos again, and get started.

I think over 50% of my to-do-list comes from Crafty Bear!!!

I made a placemat and it looks lovely. The method is tedious and all of the folding and stitching makes the item very stiff. I works great for small items, even totes, but I do not care for it on lap size or larger quilts.

I have the book but I haven't tried it yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Here is a video to watch on quilters tv and shows how to make a cool trivet, so the trivet is reversible. How cool is that!

http://quilterstv.com/

I just viewed this one and I'm very interested!

Blog Entries
    I know when I was reading about it on quilters tv, I thought what is this, how cool, another cool technique

Blog Entries
    How long is your to do list now????

When I find links I save them to a blog instead of favorites on my computer (I learned the hard way, computer crashed and lost all of my projects to do, so I created a blog) and store them there for others to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Okay, I've been on the website since you posted this. What a great source of information. I'm hooked. I'm going to watch the videos again, and get started.

The CT was features in the Country Woman mag. looked interesting so gave it a try. Lots of extra stitching and flipping of material. The table runner came out quite nice but with all the extra stitching would not use the method for anything other then a table runner or wall hanging. One thing that is nice is that having a double side runner or hanging you would only need to make two to have one for each season of the year.

np3
    Blog Entries

When I find links I save them to a blog instead of favorites on my computer (I learned the hard way, computer crashed and lost all of my projects to do, so I created a blog) and store them there for others to enjoy.

Too long to count!!! But I'm loving the ideas, I was repeating too many things. I don't have a blog list. How do I set that up?

Blog Entries
    go here

http://www.blogger.com/start

Too long to count!!! But I'm loving the ideas, I was repeating too many things. I don't have a blog list. How do I set that up?

I have made about 2 dozen pot holders using the techniques in this book. I made so many last year at Christmas I had reached the limit and said NO MORE OF THESE!!

They are nice everyone who received them liked them. But they are a lot of work.

Yes, I made a court house steps table runner. It's a fun way to quilt and totally reversable.

I've made 4 or five large quilts using the Cotton Theory method and I love doing the technique and the results.

I have a book a DVD and when I'm ready to start a quilt I never think to try it. Maybe someday.

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    Yep, I do Cotton Theory. I am certified as an instructor, in fact, since I completed the week-long Cotton Theory class taught by Betty Cotton at her school in Wisconsin.

Betty had some quilts on display in the classroom that she had made as well as some made by her students. They are to die for. If I ever get to the point where my work looks 1/10 that good, I will be a very happy quilter indeed.

I loved the reversible jacket they showed on TV that was made using this technique and plan to try it some day.

Blog Entries
    great to hear you are a certified instructor, so if anyone has ? can they send you a private message for help???

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    Yep, I do Cotton Theory. I am certified as an instructor, in fact, since I completed the week-long Cotton Theory class taught by Betty Cotton at her school in Wisconsin.

Betty had some quilts on display in the classroom that she had made as well as some made by her students. They are to die for. If I ever get to the point where my work looks 1/10 that good, I will be a very happy quilter indeed.

Blog Entries
    I have only watched their demonstrations at the larger quilt shows. Interesting technique.

Blog Entries
    did my first cotton theory quilt in a class about 6-7 years ago..
    i have a quilt in a box, for the past ... oh 5 years i guess, that has the prep done but i have not taken the time to sit down and make it...it is to me very time consuming....and i seem to strive for (instant gratification) i get it out once in awhile and peer at it thinking...well i have about $500 sitting in that box...one of these days i have to take the time to make it. i guess my biggest hold up is that i'm always working on quilts that have a purpose (dd b'day, holidays...ya know) and the one in the box is already terribly expensive and i do not know anyone who i would want to give it to....oh well, one of these days i will finish it. it just takes sooooooooo long doing it that way; nothing like piecing a quilt top then quilting it...it seems like it takes 10 times as long to accomplish the same thing....that is probably just me...but i have over 20 hours into just the cutting/prep work...anyway. i'd love to see a couple done...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast