Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever done a quilt for someone who has passed away??? >

Has anyone ever done a quilt for someone who has passed away???

Has anyone ever done a quilt for someone who has passed away???

Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I just finishe making teddy bears, abot 13 of them from my aunts clothing.
everyone loved them
The fabs i used were knits, just backed then with feather wt iron on interfacing
Lynnie, do you have a picture? Would love to see them!

I've never made a memory quilt, but have thought about it. I have most of my mother's clothes upstairs in a closet. I've already pulled any that I can/will wear myself, and can't part with the rest. DH calls me a hoarder... which I am of all that my DM loved and wanted me to have!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM

I made two quilts out of t-shirts for the children of a man who passed away last year. They enjoyed looking at the different parts, remembering an event they shared with their father. It's a great idea to use the clothing to make a quilt, the recipients will feel themselves wrapped in the love of their dear departed.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 AM

I made teddy bears our of my friend's mom's house dresses. I cut the dresses into strips, sewed them together randomly then cut the strips into squares and made patchwork teddy bears. They came out adorable
Attached Thumbnails 423418_3263347744810_963768517_n.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:13 AM

Yes! My SIL passed away in August. I asked for her clothes so I could make a quilt for my DH. What I was provided with would make at least a dozen quilts - so far I have completed 4 and donated them to the special needs school near us. Something for the adults (kids) to remember her by....
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 AM

I have done several...all were cherished. Also made throw pillows out of whole shirts. I made them look like the shirt was just folded, color intact. It was fulfilling to give someone somthing to hodl on those dark nights.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 AM

A friend made a beautiful and snugly quilt with her husbands shirts. She discovered her husband had been very careful in matching the. Colours of his shirt and ended up with a pale purple in squares and then appliqués hearts in several places. She also kept spraying her husbands deodorant over it as well .
She found it very peaceful in the even ings to snuggle in.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 AM

Last spring I made a disappearing nine patch from the clothes of a lady who had passed away. The daughter brought me the bright clothes the lady had made for a trip she and her husband had taken to Hawaii and a few things with special meaning. The daughter and her siblings gave the quilt to their Dad for Father's Day. He was delighted with the quilt.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 AM

Kimberly,
My father just passed from an accident three months ago. After getting back home and receiving the boxes of his things, I decided to do just that. I have two sons that love to snuggle in quilts. So I made them each one from his shirts. He wore western style shirts so I carefully cut the pockets with the fancy snap tabs in tacked. I applied them to several of the blocks. Then I took the front plackets that had snaps also and used them as an outer border. I put cuddle fleece on the back. They turned out great. I can not tell you the comfort it brought to have made something useful out of his things. My boys will cherish them forever. So I guess my advice is don't be scared. It will turn out fine and be something that you give that will continue to give for a very long time.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 AM

I do these all the time. They are one of the most rewarding things I do. It's hard to make the first few cuts from the
perfectly good clothing but I remember how special and what wonderful memories they will provide. I usually make simple squares and sew them in rows, nothing fancy, just so that each piece will be large enough to recognize. I also like to cut out squares that include a pocket (sometimes with a name - like a work shirt has.) I have used shirts, pants, aprons, running clothes, T-shirts and even gloves from the NY Marathon. It turns out to be a priceless gift.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 AM

I made a quilt from my Dad's clothing when he passed away 22 yrs ago. It was a clothes
line with shirts & bib overalls hanging on it which is what he wore 90% of the time. There was a lot of applique ( flowers, vines, dog, toys,basket etc.) & each bib had a mini quilt block in it. I absolutely loved working on it as it provided a lot of time for reflecting on sweet memories. I gave the quilt to my grandmother who packed away her first borns clothing remnants and then returned it to me as her health started deteriorating. I have pieces cut out to make a 2nd quilt for myself but after receiving hers back, I never finished the 2nd one. Maybe one of these days.