Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried the new technique for cutting half-square triangles? >

Has anyone tried the new technique for cutting half-square triangles?

Has anyone tried the new technique for cutting half-square triangles?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I saw this technique, I think it was on TQS, where you lay two squares together, sew 1/4" around all four sides and then cut diagonally across twice = four half square triangles. OK so you have to work out how big to cut the squares for the required finished size, but that is all. Sew Simple and fast! I agree with feline fanatic that it is better to add 1" rather than 7/8", then square it up.
Remember to be aware that this method (and others) have you ending up with all edges bias. this can lead to problems when you start joining. starching might help this, but it is better to just use a method that keeps the edges
on the straight of grain.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Oh my goodness ! I just watched the video. that lady waving an open rotary cutter around gave me the chills ! and not using a ruler to cut those lines ??yike, what a recipe for a really nasty accident. can you imagine your blade angling across & ruining all that fabric--let alone cutting yourself!
sorry if I rant--but cutter safety becomes more important after you see a nasty "accident".
these are bias-square HSTs with a technique first shown by
Marsha McCloskey years ago. early method is very accurate for smaller units,especialy if you have a lot of them to produce, but a little hard to understand until you do it.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Oops ! I checked online & see that Marsha has also fallen into the "make a new ruler to sell" group, her original method only required a bias square ruler to make any size.
If I can find some instructions that are not copyrighted, I will post them.
by-the-way====copyright laws cover a multitude of situations. everyone should make themselves aware of the
stipulations of such.
enough, I will shut my mouth now.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Thank you for the information/ God bless.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Actually I found another on this site but, I forget where I was. It led to going to U Tube as the gal from Missouri Star quilt co took 2 blocks and put them together face to face and stitched a 1/4 inch seam all around the square, then sew from corner to corner to corner and the same on the remaining corners to form a X and low and behold perfect half square triangles. I made 3 of them this morning which made 12 inch squares for my pinwheels for a table runner. They were so cool when I got them squared up and ready to go. There was a formula on that site too. This was the largest size. I think its fast and accurate with no marking or even a tool. I am going to make a baby quilt that way. Certainly is easy. Now if I can remember where I found it on this site. It is a drag to get old. I could of passed on this. LOL Got to laugh to keep from crying.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by MNM
Originally Posted by joy
4 MNM... sounds easy, so that means that where you cut, all the seams after that will be on the bias !!! You will have to be careful....
You are OH so right and you have to be careful when you iron them open, don't stretch them. Can be done if you are careful. And they are very fast to make and mine seem to be all the same size and fit together just great.

MNM
I was thinking, if you cut the squares "on point", then you would have the edges on the straight grain.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100017.jpe  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM

If I have to do a lot of HST's, I do them in a large square and cut it in 4 directions. there is very little streching this way
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 AM

I make my own, I draw a half-square triangle on computer paper and make copies of it.You can several rows of them on one sheet. You can then cut them apart by rows or leave them all together and lay a whole sheet on your fabric. That way I can make it any size I want and its cheaper then buying them all one size.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Originally Posted by MNM
Originally Posted by joy
4 MNM... sounds easy, so that means that where you cut, all the seams after that will be on the bias !!! You will have to be careful....
You are OH so right and you have to be careful when you iron them open, don't stretch them. Can be done if you are careful. And they are very fast to make and mine seem to be all the same size and fit together just great.

MNM
I was thinking, if you cut the squares "on point", then you would have the edges on the straight grain.
Boy that's thinking out of the box, I would never have thought of that. You must be young to have such a good brain. I will be trying that as soon as I get back from my morning walk. Gotta have some discipline in my life.
Love all of you on this site/board.

MNM
Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Someone posted a method on the board putting 2 squares face to face and sewing 1/4" all the way around, cut on diagonal twice for 4 perfect hst's. I had so much fun playing with this idea, I ended up with a pinwheel quilt over the weekend.
I don't know how to find it again but it was two weeks ago. None of these rulers work for long, I lose them or forget them.
Yep, this is the way I do it too. One can make that first square any size you want. I made so many when I first learned that I have borders and straight-line sashings from those 1/2 sq triangles ready for charity quilts any day. The tut I liked the best is from the Missouri Star Quilting Company. Gosh, it was amazing how much I learn from their other tutorials too! Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E&feature=fvsr