Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting? >

Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting?

Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 AM

I have her patterns and always become so discouraged and overwhelmed by the instructions that I have yet to give her patterns a try. When I do try a quilt, I'm going to experiment with using flannel for batting, rather than the usual cotton batting. Maybe this will give the quilt a softer drape and not make it so stiff.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Lap quilting has been around for a long time Georgia Bonesteel had a show about it for years. I made 3 last winter this way. I enjoy being able to quilt the small pieces, but do not enfoy the closing of the seams later
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 AM

I have done a couple things with the Cotton Theory method, and enjoyed them both. They are a little time time consuming, but come off fairly easily. Becuase of the "theory" of how the blocks are created, you can make anything from a placemat to a king sized quilt with the same techniques - just more or larger blocks. I think reading about it is harder than doing it. My advice would be to dig up some scraps, and plan one placemat. That way you won't feel pressured to accomplish alot, but should have enough seams to get the feel of the tecnique. It is really cool that you have a finished quilt on both sides when you are done. And I really love tactile things! Here is a link to a pattern for a placemat:
http://www.americaquiltscreatively.c...es/AQc_202.pdf
Good luck, let us see what you do!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

That is a beautiful quilt. I haven't tried this method yet.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Awesome quilt. Which is the front and which is the back????? Great work. ciao
Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 PM

I made placemats first. Cotton Theory is reversible and doesn't matter front or back. I think it could work with less quilting rows than she recommends but mine doesn't feel too stiff.

I've also made the Fun and Done. It has the pattern on one side, while you can reverse it, the back is very plain. It goes a lot faster without so much planning, cutting, and organization. I felt like I had accomplished something by the time I completed the Attic Windows. I like them both for the reason that each block is quilted as I go. With Georgia Bonesteel I still had to hand stitch the back and I don't like hand work. Ugh. I want instant gratification.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1286.jpe  
Old 11-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
I have done a couple things with the Cotton Theory method, and enjoyed them both. They are a little time time consuming, but come off fairly easily. Becuase of the "theory" of how the blocks are created, you can make anything from a placemat to a king sized quilt with the same techniques - just more or larger blocks. I think reading about it is harder than doing it. My advice would be to dig up some scraps, and plan one placemat. That way you won't feel pressured to accomplish alot, but should have enough seams to get the feel of the tecnique. It is really cool that you have a finished quilt on both sides when you are done. And I really love tactile things! Here is a link to a pattern for a placemat:
http://www.americaquiltscreatively.c...es/AQc_202.pdf
Good luck, let us see what you do!
Thanks so much for the placemat pattern, and yes doing it will probably be easier than reading about it- it all sounds difficult. I'll try the placemat.
I have a question....can I use any pattern? or must I always use her patterns? I understand that I'd have to add a strip inbetween blocks, but that might be the only difference between her patterns and others.
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-16-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
I made placemats first. Cotton Theory is reversible and doesn't matter front or back. I think it could work with less quilting rows than she recommends but mine doesn't feel too stiff.

I've also made the Fun and Done. It has the pattern on one side, while you can reverse it, the back is very plain. It goes a lot faster without so much planning, cutting, and organization. I felt like I had accomplished something by the time I completed the Attic Windows. I like them both for the reason that each block is quilted as I go. With Georgia Bonesteel I still had to hand stitch the back and I don't like hand work. Ugh. I want instant gratification.
Those look great and they don't look too stiff either. I'm with you, I like instant gratification! And it's nice that this is all machine stitched. I did visit Baysideequilting.com and found the 'Fun and Done'. I do think it might be a little easier with their templates, and they did have a great video about the process (free online feed). I suppose we can make the backing more lively by changing the backing.
Thanks so much for your input!
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Great Quilt, the Attic Windows! I haven't tried it yet, but thanks for the links. I will check it out!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:27 PM

I made one this way at a quilt class a few years ago. It really was pretty easy. It "lives" at work for when we need to make a mini wall to partition an area for webinars. I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow and post it here. I wouldn't hesitate to make another one this way.