Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used a 16 or 18 sz needle in babylock aria? >

Has anyone used a 16 or 18 sz needle in babylock aria?

Has anyone used a 16 or 18 sz needle in babylock aria?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Default Has anyone used a 16 or 18 sz needle in babylock aria?

Can I use a size 16 or sz 18 heavy duty needle in my babylock sewing machine? The shop I bought my sewing machine scared me but did not not really answer yes or no she said be cautious is all. Has anyone used either worth out problems on a babylock (aria)? Thanks
Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM

I have used a 16 in my dreamweaver with no issues haven't tried a 18 yet but not understanding why they said be cautious, the v series machines are pretty heavy duty
Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM

I have the crescendo which is like the aria except has laser beam and sensor pen. The manual only says that the needle threader works best with sizes 11-18. I don't know what she's talking about. The manual for my machine is extensive so I assume yours is also. I will be looking for what others say.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 PM

It's always best to use the smallest needle you can get away with. If you take the size 18 needle and push it through your fabric by hand, and notice how that feels. Then take a size 14 needle and push it through your fabric. Which one goes through easier? I'll bet the 14 would go through easier. A size 18 needle is usually over-kill. I wouldn't ever put one on a domestic machine. That's what industrial machines are for. When you get that big of a needle, you throw off your needle/hood distance, start skipping stitches, and put a nasty burr on your hook. If you're sewing something that thick on a Babylock with a plastic bobbin case, you're asking for trouble. The bobbin case will probably jam and the needle will go through the bobbin case, and you'll need to buy a new bobbin case.

Let's talk about thread over-kill... I imagine you're thinking you need "upholstery," "denim top-stitch" or "outdoor" thread to sew on something really thick. You don't. Just use a good Guterman polyester thread. It's made for your domestic machine, and is plenty strong. Those other threads aren't much stronger, and they WILL NOT give you a good stitch. They are made for industrial machines--although they don't say that on the package, because they want your money.

http://www.shesasewingmahcinemechanic.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 AM

Depends on what kind of needle. If you topstitch on denim you might need a larger needle for the thread, and I know I've used a 100/18 wing needle for heirloom.