Have some of you used minkee on the back of cotton quilts >

Have some of you used minkee on the back of cotton quilts

Have some of you used minkee on the back of cotton quilts

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 AM

Default Have some of you used minkee on the back of cotton quilts

Hello sister quilters,
Just wondering if some of you have used minkee material on the back
of cotton baby quilts, and if so, were you pleased with how those two materials
turned out together when they were machine quilted? Thanks.
Hoping all of you have a wonderful day today.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM

My friends have used Minke on some of the baby quilts they have made and they came out great. It makes a soft, cuddly quilt.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Minkee works fine just be careful to not stretch your backing as you quilt.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

If you use the search feature on QB you will find several threads on using Minkie as backing. There are some tricks like lots of pins, it stretches more in one direction....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

I have quilted a baby quilt (strip pieced with flannel on the front and minkee on the back) on the LA and did not have as many problems as I thought I would have. I did just a simple edge to edge meander. DH loaded it on the frame and put the selvages on the side instead of the top and bottom and we had no great problems with stretching of the minkee.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM

I too have used it for a back and was just careful not to pull it too tight on the longarm. I also did one of those stitch & flip quilts using minkee back & strips.........Never again....there was minkee fuzz in every nook & cranny of my house because of all the cut edges. On the upside minkee really shows the quilting well. good luck
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 AM

I love minkee! So do my kids. I don't pin, I spray baste. I take the top outside and spray it, then bring it inside and attach it to the minkee. This latest quilt I'm working on I'm using good quality flannel instead of batting. I have attached the top to the flannel (by the above method) and did all my quilting. I wanted to reinforce all the seams but did not want to do a lot of quilting on the minkee. Today I will spray the back side of the flannel and attach it to the minkee and do some simple stitch in the ditch to secure it to the minkee. I have already taken my serger around the edges of the quilt top/flannel. Hopefully I have secured the seams/edges enough that if it is washed, nothing will unravel or fray. It has already found an owner. My youngest saw it and claimed it while I had the top on the floor attaching it to the flannel. I just know my oldest is going to be upset. Youngest is ahead in quilts! BTW, its a dragon quilt. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post a pic.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I love minkee! So do my kids. I don't pin, I spray baste. I take the top outside and spray it, then bring it inside and attach it to the minkee. This latest quilt I'm working on I'm using good quality flannel instead of batting. I have attached the top to the flannel (by the above method) and did all my quilting. I wanted to reinforce all the seams but did not want to do a lot of quilting on the minkee. Today I will spray the back side of the flannel and attach it to the minkee and do some simple stitch in the ditch to secure it to the minkee. I have already taken my serger around the edges of the quilt top/flannel. Hopefully I have secured the seams/edges enough that if it is washed, nothing will unravel or fray. It has already found an owner. My youngest saw it and claimed it while I had the top on the floor attaching it to the flannel. I just know my oldest is going to be upset. Youngest is ahead in quilts! BTW, its a dragon quilt. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post a pic.
So I'm wanting to make my first baby quilt - hand tied. Would flannel instead of batting work well for this?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
So I'm wanting to make my first baby quilt - hand tied. Would flannel instead of batting work well for this?
I don't see why not. But, if you have one of the newer machines with lots of pretty decorative stitches, why not tack it down with a decorative stitch, like a flower, in the center of each block?

I made a quilt for my oldest son - Fons and Porter Brick pattern - and used flannel for the top, batting, and backing. It made for a very soft quilt. Did just a simple "X" on each brick. Remember, batting has always been around. I did not learn about "batting" until after I retired and started quilting again - only using more modern methods. When I was a teenager, my Aunt taught me how to quilt using an old sheet cut up into squares for foundation piecing strip blocks and using wool Army blankets inside. We used 1" X 2" X 7' boards hung form the ceiling and clamps and rolled the quilts on the long boards and tied using crochet thread. Some people used yarn. Never even thought of using a machine to "quilt" the layers together.

Last edited by AlienQuilter; 03-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.