Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever sold a quilt?

Banned
    If so, how much did it sell for? Just wondering how much such a labor of love sells for :)

Yes, several, and for not enough money based on the work that went into them! I won't underprice myself again....

I have sold a small quilted wall hanging. I asked and received $20 because that's what I thought was fair. At the very least I received enough to replace my fabric.

I've sold a few and am still working out decent pricing. Currently doing a commissioned tshirt quilt and am thinking that the price I gave the lady might not have taken into account my time, but at least the materials will be covered and I'll have learned another lesson.

Blog Entries
    i sold a baby quilt once for $85.00 didn't make much off it most people want for almost nothing.

Blog Entries
    yes, I have sold a few, they were for friends and I just got replacement for fabric and batting. It was fun but not what they could have been worth. They were real simple paterns. This was when I was just staring piecing and quilting. It is just a hobby for me.

Blog Entries
    I've sold a few. One of them I made a bit of money on, but the others nothing close to their true value.

Yes, I sold it depending on the size and labor involved. also it depends on if I did it for a friend or some one who contacted me by word of mouth. The cheapest was $175 for a Sunbonnet Sue and Sam Too, made of nine 12 inch squares, sashing and a border. It was not enough but I really enjoyed it as it for a friend. The most was $450 for a large twin made from baby clothes that were send to me. I like doing consignment quilts if I know the people appreciate it. Also I normally buy fabric for it so even if most of the money is spend on the fabric I will most likely still have left over. So I figure I get paid in fabric too.

Sunbonnet Sue in process. Not sure where the finnished quilt picture is on the computer.
    Name:  Attachment-259889.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  62.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just keep them if I can't get my supplies and time outta them. Have sold quite a few. Mostly I make them for presents. and quilt other peoples tops for them.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    I "bartered" 3 about 20 years ago. At a Country Peddlars Show in Fredericksburg, TX about 20 yrs. ago, I met a couple who did beautiful hand carved & painted cedar chests. We got acquainted & after seeing some of my quilts, over the next six months traded 3 quilts (their patterns/colors) for 3 of the chests. I kept one & gave 1 to each of 2 grand dgtrs upon H.S. graduation. Their chests were priced from about $750 up.

A few years later, I traded 2 commissioned quilts for a hand carved deacons bench & a hand carved gun cabinet from another show. The gun cabinet was for my late hubby & I gave the bench to my dgtr. But for the most part, I just do it for family & my pleasure.

Not sure vendors now would be that receptive to a 'trade' for their wares.

Blog Entries
    I sold this one at work to a lady for $75.00. i had made it for another co-worker who didn't want it when finished!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nope give and donate them. Ppl won't pay what their worth!

Blog Entries
    I am currently working on one now. Its a twin, Trip Around The World. Its for a friend. I'm charging her the cost of materials times two. I know its not enough, but that is ok.

Here is a link where an award winning quilter, Caryl Bryer Fallert, discusses the subject of pricing our works.

http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/marketing.htm

It is very interesting. Our hard work and talents should not be underpriced!!!

Blog Entries
    I made several of these:

I sold them for $125 each. I could sell more but got tired of making then. I made them to sell for the children's hospital.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2204-crafts.aspx

I used to sell quite a few, many years ago before imports flooded the market.

I made a quilt a few months ago and posted it on Facebook for my friends and family to see. My aunt saw it and wanted it. She sent me a check for $200.00! I was happy with that.

I'm currently making a Friendship Star for my cousin to give his sister for christmas. I told him it would probably be under $200 but looks like I underestimated. oh well, it's family

I just sold a 42" sq. quilt for $150.00 last week. Someone replied to a Craig's list ad for a hand embroidered doily. When she went to my website to see more that I had, she saw some of my quilts. After a few e-mails back & forth, found she lived 2 streets over from me & could walk to my house. My quilt is now hanging on someone's wall in my neighborhood.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yes, many. Several sizes, patterns etc. Sold them from $35 up to $1,500.00!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I made several of these:

I sold them for $125 each. I could sell more but got tired of making then. I made them to sell for the children's hospital.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2204-crafts.aspx
    interesting, I though ALL major pattern companies has explicit Copyrights on their patterns and do not allow you to produce the items for resale?

Yes. Political, ironic and crazy quilts can get art prices. Crazy quilts have to be skillfully done but all else can show an amateur hand.

I have sold several for $700 to $800, baby crib quilt starts at $125.00, wall hangings $125 and $300.00.

Blog Entries
    I have sold three but only made a bit after re-cooping material costs. Mostly just give away to good friends and family.

I have sold a few baby quilts, but I only charged double what the fabric cost. If they paid 40 for the fabric I charged 80.

Made one for a "friend?" she paid me $20.00 cause she could buy one at Walmart for that Sold another to a co worker for $120.00 she bought the fabric. Hand Quilted backed and put batting in another for $70.00. All were hand Quilted.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast