Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality? >

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Honeynga and gramajo - I'm with you. I also don't expect my quilts to be heirlooms, but utility quilts. If I find remnants or something inexpensive and it will work, then I get the pleasure of the creation. I do quilt mostly for my own pleasure, and the pleasure for me is in the making, not necessarily for the extended lifetime of the product. But, to each his own, and may we all enjoy what we do.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM

I have noticed Joann's fabric seems to be getting worse and the price is getting higher.

That is my opinion
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM

almost all places that sell fabric have good fabric and some not so good you just feel them and decide for yourself. I have bought fabric from walmart and joanns that was just as good as a fabric store
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM

I get some very nice fabrics from WalMart and while they're not cheap in price (around $6 yd) I'd say that I like some of them better than JoAnns. I shop everywhere and buy what I like and if it feels good I buy it.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM

A "quilt snob" thinks of nothing but quilts. Thin cotton material not suitable for quilts makes wonderful summer clothes and probably was never, ever intended for quilts. Too complain and reject fabric for a use that it is not intended nor suitable for is indeed snobbish.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Smile

I guess it is really true - you get what you pay for.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

The JoAnn's I shop at has Kona solids and I have found Alexander Henry and other "brand" fabric names. I also use a lot of non=traditional fabrics like denim, upholstery fabrics, and other things as backing and sometimes in the design of the quilt. I'm not a quilt snob and with fabric at my LQS up to $12-14/yd., I can't afford to be. I find it really ironic that when our mothers, grandmothers, etc., made quilts out of their old clothes, not out of top-quality premium all cotton weaves, and we worry so much about if our fabric is good enough. Their quilts are still around, so what does that tell us?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM

I have found some very nice fabric's at the new Jo-Ann's close to my place I have no problem spending $8-9 a yard there versus paying my LQS $16 a yard. I agree that like anything else you need to take the time to feel the fabric and check it out, if it feels good then I will buy it. I can't afford to spend $140 and up to buy top of the line boutique fabrics to make quilts. I'm not making these to make a living out of it, I'd just like to have nice things to give to my family members.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM

Hmmmmmm, touchy subject. It's everyone to what they can afford and preference. I too am on a fixed income and have health problems, so I buy according to what I can afford. I always look for sales and almost always only buy when a good sale comes along. I have been to some LQS and drool over some of the fabrics, but unfortunatley, not in my price range. We all quilt for the love of seeing something beautiful come alive. We are all sisters in that respect. IMHO, do with what you afford.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 PM

yes - but I have to increase my reply to the required 10 digits...
Look at a typical Joanne fat quarter and compare to LQS fabric.
1. Hold both fabrics up to light.
2. Close eyes and feel both fabrics.
3. Cut both compare for fraying.
4. Machine sew three strips of each as if doing a 1/4" test and see which fabric after ironing gives solid 1/4".

I don't know what those differences mean in the quality and longevity of a quilt, as I am a beginner, but there are obvious visible differences in fabric, wherever it comes from.