Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made Tarnished Windmill by Judy Niemeyer? >

Have you made Tarnished Windmill by Judy Niemeyer?

Have you made Tarnished Windmill by Judy Niemeyer?

Old 04-27-2020, 06:17 PM

Default Have you made Tarnished Windmill by Judy Niemeyer?

Digging thru my stash and found a kit, Tarnished Windmill by Judy Niemeyer. I've done a little paper piecing so not new to the art. I've been reading the instructions, holy cow, lots of info there. If you have completed one of these beautiful quilts any advice for me? I've been finishing some UFO's and thought now would be a good time to delve into something new and fun.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:35 PM

I have only done a couple of Judy Neimeyer's patterns. She over-explains to make sure even a beginner could follow her directions. And the key is.....follow her directions. I, also, check to see if I think what I am doing is going to look like the part of the pattern that I am working on. Yes, even with very clear instructions, I can sew things wrong. When I start one of her patterns, I read the instructions several times. I find it helps to focus on one section at a time. Leap frogging ahead just confuses me.

Have you checked the website to see if there were any corrections to your pattern? I didn't know to do that and I was so lucky that the patterns I had bought were the updated ones.

Above all else....have fun! This won't be the last one you do. They are very addicting!
Old 04-28-2020, 09:51 AM

Thanks Barb. There are 2 corrections for the pattern. It's not a new one the date is 2014. They came out with new pattern in 2018. So it looks like I'll just start with step one and keep going. It may take a bit of time but I'm not in a hurry.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I took a JN class. What a lot of prep work ! I did the piecing the way the instructor showed us in class but at home I finished the rest of the pattern doing regular paper piecing Her way saves fabric but wastes a lot of time. I copied the templates to use and saved the original in case I decided to make another.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the tip Onebyone. I'm amazed at the instructions. So far I've washed the fabric and taken the patterns out of the envelope lined them up and thought, are you kidding me? This will prove very interesting. I'm concerned about doing it the regular way because the fabric is somewhat limited. In the instructions she did indicate that the way its done saves fabric, not much waste. Maybe I'll actually learn a new way of paper piecing!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

I used fat quarters and yardage so I knew I had plenty to do it my way. We made the Poinsettia pattern. Not too big and not too small. Perfect to learn the technique.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:12 AM

Wow, that's beautiful!
Good luck and can't wait to see it. (But, I think I may have to wait awhile.)

Watson
Old 04-29-2020, 05:46 PM

Yes Watson, this is a time buster. And since I've been studying the pattern I've found out I received the fabric and picture of the Tarnished Windmill, Copper Collection all intact, the one I ordered, however, the pattern I received is for Tarnished Windmill, Reclaimed West Collection. Went on Quiltworx.com and browsed thru patterns and corrections and happily found the Copper Collection sample yardage translation. It has been a life savor of the pattern. I have been rewriting the names of the fabric thru out the pattern! Before I did the browsing I'd made a couple of calls, one to the pattern company and one to the company I'd ordered the kit from. The phone calls did not help me but hooray for the browsing! I'm back to being a happy camper!
This new adventure is starting out with bang!
Old 04-30-2020, 05:28 PM

will be watching your progress--I took a one day JN class(certified instructor) at the 2017KCRegionalQuilt Fest--actually had everything cut per instructions before class and managed to get 1 & 1/2 blocks done! Lots of class time on how to arrange parts so you can chain piece the parts (which did work). I have another PP project to work on next from UFO pile and then I'm going to take a huge breath and tackle that JN project!
Old 05-01-2020, 09:27 AM

I'm starting to understand the pattern! It's taken several readings and a light finally went on. I've trimmed some of the templets for the paper piecing, fabric washed and pressed and I also attached the name of the fabric to the fabric. So the journey begins!

It's good to hear from each of you about your experience with Judy Niemeyer's world of paper piecing. It's a good thing I'm not in a hurry!