Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Have you made your own wholecloth design

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    107

    Red face Have you made your own wholecloth design

    I am interested in whole cloth quilting. And I wondered if anyone has some suggestions?

    I was thinking of designing my quilt top and then on a muslin I would pencil in my design, then flip the quilt so that the whole cloth is on top and the quilted design on the bottom and away I go............Once done I would simple gently wash the quilt to remove the stenciling marks......

    Hmm wonder what mischief I could create?

  2. #2
    Senior Member breezyquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    795
    Cindy Needham does a lot of whole cloth quilts and has oodles of design ideas. I have done some on the small scale with her help. She has a blog to check it out and you can ask her tons of questions. She is always there to help!!!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    I will chat with you about designing whole cloth if you are interested - having designed about 25 from wallhanging to Queen size and another group of about the same number in 16"-18" It would be helpful to know what kind of fabric you are using for the top if you intend to quilt from the back. Is the top going to be a single piece of fabric - solid or print. Do you plan on using a series of stencils. Are you drawing your own designs. Lots of questions to know what you hope to do. Will it be long arm quilted or domestic machine or hand quilted. What size?
    Last edited by Holice; 03-12-2013 at 12:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Super Member alleyoop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,347
    No but I would love to make one.....some day.....

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    If you are not ready to design your own there are pre printed ones (wallhanging and queen) available.
    They are printed in a wash out ink. So, just back and batt, quilt, wash and bind.

  6. #6
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Lowjane, you couldn't get better guidance on designing wholecloth than Holice. He has amazing skill and is an exceptional instructor. Here's a sampling of his wholecloth designs for Benartex.
    http://www.benartex.com/page/quilt-p...loth-quilts-87
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    539
    I don't think I'll ever be good enough to do a whole cloth. I prefer to admire the work others, but have no desire to attempt it myself.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    Nilla: Its just quilting without the patchwork underneith.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,726
    Holice your wholeclothes are amazing.
    Do you have any pictures posted of done ones?

  10. #10
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Lowjane, you couldn't get better guidance on designing wholecloth than Holice. He has amazing skill and is an exceptional instructor. Here's a sampling of his wholecloth designs for Benartex.
    http://www.benartex.com/page/quilt-p...loth-quilts-87
    I agree I think Holice is amazing, I have often seen his designs and keep thinking someday.. I might actually follow through and make one of his beauties. They never go out of style , pure elegance in my book.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    I am blushing this moring with all these compliments about my skill at designing whole cloth quilts. I had always admired the tecnique and believed (and still do) that whole cloth represents the ultimate in a quiltmakers art and believed those who designed and ultimately quilted them were indeed touched by the "design angel". However I learned it was not difficult at all. While I had art clases in my earlier life, I had not felt successful in doing line drawing. I learned by copying another designers work. She was well known in the area of Northern Virginia for her original whole cloth designs. A fabric company contracted with her to reproduce her design in a preprinted on cloth format. The original were double bed size and I had to convert them to queen size. It was making circles true circles, adding feathers where the sections needed to be lengthened and feathers all consistent in size. I was drawing one day and said to myself "I have done this before but sure don't believe in reincarnation" and then it hit me.......the same motions being used in drawing feathers were the same I had been taught many many years ago in elementary school penmanship. After that realization I was away to go. The second discovery was that the secret to drawing a perfect heart or tulip is when both sides match and the best source might be a simple paper snowflake we all cut as kids. The final was to start looking around us - there are design inspirations everywhere. Using graft paper and work only on small sections and repeat those for a full design. After all an elaborate feather border on a quilt may be only 12" repeated. I believe the ability is already in us.....always has been but somewhere along the way we either forgot it or lost it usualy because someone said "you can't do it". So quilters - just try.
    Last edited by Holice; 03-15-2013 at 03:59 AM.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    I am blushing this moring with all these compliments about my skill at designing whole cloth quilts. I had always admired the tecnique and believed (and still do) that whole cloth represents the ultimate in a quiltmakers art and believed those who designed and ultimately quilted them were indeed touched by the "design angel". However I learned it was not difficult at all. While I had art clases in my earlier life, I had not felt successful in doing line drawing. I learned by copying another designers work. She was well known in the area of Northern Virginia for her original whole cloth designs. A fabric company contracted with her to reproduce her design in a preprinted on cloth format. The original were double bed size and I had to convert them to queen size. It was making circles true circles, adding feathers where the sections needed to be lengthened and feathers all consistent in size. I was drawing one day and said to myself "I have done this before but sure don't believe in reincarnation" and then it hit me.......the same motions being used in drawing feathers were the same I had been taught many many years ago in elementary school penmanship. After that realization I was away to go. The second discovery was that the secret to drawing a perfect heart or tulip is when both sides match and the best source might be a simple paper snowflake we all cut as kids. The final was to start looking around us - there are design inspirations everywhere. Using graft paper and work only on small sections and repeat those for a full design. After all an elaborate feather border on a quilt may be only 12" repeated. I believe the ability is already in us.....always has been but somewhere along the way we either forgot it or lost it usualy because someone said "you can't do it". So quilters - just try.
    Holice, you make it sound so easy. I have one half of a wholecloth drawn on paper and the fabric on a shelf in my sewing room. I have a quilt to finish before I actually start transferring the design to fabric. Hopefully, I'll get to it sometime this summer. I used two Roberta Benvin stencils so I haven't actually designed it myself. I fell in love with wholecloths the moment I opened Barbara Chainey's, "Essential Quilter." Then I started researching Durham and Welsh quilting and became even more enamored with wholecloths. I would love to travel to Yorkshire and take one of Lillian Hedley's classes, but I suspect that will never happen. My design is for a 98 x 108 to fit my king size bed as a comforter -- that is if I ever get it finished -- I will hand quilt it. I have a lot of UFO's, but have decided that I want to do this even if the UFO's never get finished.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    Nilla: Its just quilting without the patchwork underneith.

    Yes, but the patchwork helps hide my very very less than perfect quilting!

  14. #14
    Junior Member wandatn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kingsport,Tennessee
    Posts
    120
    Have you checked out Christian Lane Quilters on the internet thats where I got mine. It was a queen I got for 60.00. They have wallhangings, etc. Check it out and they are quick on sending it through the mail. I am getting me another one-I had so much fun and it was so soft after I washed it-all the blue lines disappeared.So proud of it.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    wandatn: which design did you get from Christian Lane?

  16. #16
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by lowjane View Post
    I am interested in whole cloth quilting. And I wondered if anyone has some suggestions?

    I was thinking of designing my quilt top and then on a muslin I would pencil in my design, then flip the quilt so that the whole cloth is on top and the quilted design on the bottom and away I go............Once done I would simple gently wash the quilt to remove the stenciling marks......

    Hmm wonder what mischief I could create?

    One of these days---------I'm going to have someone draw the Assateague lighthouse and oil houses on a piece of good fabric. Probably won't be great big and I'll finish it out with borders.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    438
    If you check out www.mandldesigns.com, they have a lot of patterns for whole cloth quilting. Just go to their tab that says whole cloth quilts. They will also trace the pattern for you if you want them to. They have a lot of cute designs. I use tricot (slip fabric) for some of my whole cloth quilts and they are really pretty and they are hand quilted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.