Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried this tip for ironing fabrics?

I cleaned a liquid detergent bottle (for washing clothes) and fille it then it goes into my iron when it is empty.

Blog Entries
    I seldom use the steam iron, I put a plastic table cloth on the floor, use a yard sprayer 1 1/2 gal with a 50/50 mix of liquid starch and water and spray my fabrics. Roll them and place in plastic bags. Put them in the deep freeze for some spare ironing time (great for a movie you want to watch). It also is enegry efficient because filling those empty places in the freezer keeps the air from falling out causing the compressor to work harder to bring the temperature back down. Filling the freezer with food is good too, but fabric is more fun.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Blog Entries
    I had trouble getting some creases out of fabric even when using lots of steam until I was told about the vinegar trick. Now I keep a spray bottle of 50% white vinegar/50% water handy. It is amazing how easy it is to get rid of even the crispest creases. You can vary the percentage of vinegar to water and even use neat vinegar if a crease is proving very difficult to shift, but then you might have to wash the item to get rid of the smell.
    I've not tried the fridge method someone here mentioned but it's worth trying as ironing isn't my favorite activity.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    very creative!
    if i have a LOT of ironing to do, I dampen the fabric[s] and roll them up. place in a plastic bag. refrigerate overnight. now, no steaming or spraying needed
    Grandma left her laundry rolled and on the screen porch overnight ..something to do with the cold wet that eased out the wrinkles.

Blog Entries
    I very seldom use steam as both my irons spits and sputters water all over the place. I almost always just use a spray bottle filled with water.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    I've always understood NOT to use Tap water in the iron-many years with my last iron coming from my Grandmother using it for 20 years, and me using it for 10 years with Tap water, no Tap water goes in my new Black and Decker I've had now for 10 years I use a funnel also supplied with new iron to fill with only drinking/bottled water I get in the gallon jug, I do not spray from bottle, only from steam of iron, and that is not very often, only after washing fabric, and damp out of dryer.

I have a gravity feed iron that has a gallon tank. So I don't run out of water very often. But this is a good idea for my travel iron that I use at classes and retreats.
    Marie

I use regular water from the tap and an empty gallon milk jug. I take bottled drinking water with me on quilting workshop days for my travel iron.
    Karen in Kentucky

Empty milk jug! Why pay extra for a do-dad?
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I use a clean dawn dish detergent bottle to pour water in my iron.. i didnt like fumbling with the funnel..

I washed out a large mustard bottle that has a twist top and small hole in it. Works great as the tip goes right down in the iron. I also use tap water as that is what my iron calls for. Some require distilled water and some don't. As for using bottled water, I had thought about that until I read where this bottled water is out of faucets just like you turn on your tap. I only use bottled water for convenience when I need it to go, why pay the high price when it is cheaper right out of your faucet. Some say spring water, but ask them what spring they get it from and how they purify it etc., and you get very evasive answers if you get any answer. There have been many articles on bottled water and how it is not all it is put out to be!

Years ago my Mom would put clothes she had sprinkled in the frig to keep them from molding and I loved ironing on them when we took them out, seemed like they ironed more easily and much crisper looking. Don't miss all the ironing days though for sure.

themachinelady

very creative!
    if i have a LOT of ironing to do, I dampen the fabric[s] and roll them up. place in a plastic bag. refrigerate overnight. now, no steaming or spraying needed
    haha, QuiltnNan, your giving your age away. That is how we used to iron. Take off the line while still damp, roll, (we never put ours in the refrigerator over nite, but we did put a towel on top of the rolled garments. Ahhh, brings back memories, NOT!. I still like to iron though, even had a great business for a while doing ironing for executive types.

Blog Entries
    I have the DPP3000 1500 Watt Digital Steam Iron.
    LOVE this iron and I am going to be super sad when
    the day comes that it stops working since they don't
    make this iron anymore.

My hubs bought it for me on ebay about 7 (maybe more)
    years ago as a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    What kind of iron do you have? Do you empty the water every time when you finish ironing?
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Thanks for the great idea!!!

I don't use the steam on my "steam" iron anymore. Instead I mist the fabric with my handy-dandy "Flo-Master Hand Sprayer" -- a garden sprayer which can be found in the garden dept. at Wally World or Home Depot etc. for about $8. You pump the sprayer several times to pressurize it and then you just grip the handle it sprays beautifully and evenly -- no squeezing! The small one I use holds 2 1/2 pints of water and it's been a Godsend. I found out about this marvelous tool when I watched Mickey Lawler's "Sky Dyes" video.

very creative!
    This is the method I've used for years when ironing alot of any amount of items. In the winter time just set them in a cool part of your home no need for the refrigerater.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I have to admit that I use a 2 liter bottle that used to have soda pop in it. I fill it up with filtered water (which is in the kitchen) and then refill the iron from that.
    I'm curious about what your note "Books Tipped" means? I recognize one title--Heaven, Texas--by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, right? But what are "tipped books"? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    haha, QuiltnNan, your giving your age away. That is how we used to iron. Take off the line while still damp, roll, (we never put ours in the refrigerator over nite, but we did put a towel on top of the rolled garments. Ahhh, brings back memories, NOT!. I still like to iron though, even had a great business for a while doing ironing for executive types.
    My mother was a professional "ironer" -- she worked in a steam laundry for years -- and taught me this method of ironing, too. But I only put rolled damp items in the refrigerator if I didn't get to them that day, to prevent mildew.....back when I ironed endless baby clothes and little boy shorts and shirts. Odd how little I iron now....except when quilting!

very creative!
    This takes me back to the 50s' ... it's the best way so why am I not doing it now ??? Duh
    Learning something new everyday from all of you.

For filling my iron, I buy a 1/2 gallon bottle of distilled water and keep it next to the ironing board. No lime deposits with distilled water. Your iron will last longer.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Same here.Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Well it was the largest and only bottle I had on hand at the time
    prior to getting the bigger bottle.

My iron mfg. recommended NOT using distilled, or filtered water
    because it had built ion "anti calcium additives". I have NEVER
    had any problems with the iron in the 7+ years I have had it.
    Thanks for the tip! I never thought of using a bottle...that makes a lot of sense and would be easier.

Well, my sewing room is my bedroom, so I just fill the little doomaflitchie that came with the iron in the bathroom.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I use the funnel that came with the iron and distilled water. I have a Shark and the instructions said to use tap water, and my water is very soft, and filtered. I still feel better using distilled. The thing about my Shark is that it will quit steaming if it is only half full. I exchanged it and the new one does the same thing. For people who steam a lot I like the idea of using a garden jug and sprayer.
    :-)
    CAS

Before the days of perma press fabrics, this is the way I did my ironing.
    very creative!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast